RPGWatch Forums

RPGWatch Forums (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Comments (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ubisoft - Changing DRM for All Games (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18434)

aries100 October 24th, 2012 19:29

Ubisoft - Changing DRM for All Games
 
In an editorial at 1UP, Chris Pereira, discusses how Ubisoft now changes their always on policy for new games.
A quote on this:
Quote:

When asked if there were any regrets over how things had been handled previously, the closest we got to an apology was her stating, "We've listened to feedback, we will continue to listen to feedback, we will continue to make sure that we deliver great games and great services, and are now operating under this policy." Later in the interview it was reaffirmed that for games like Assassin's Creed III and beyond, there will be only a one-time activation with no limits on the number of computers a game can be installed on. This is, suffice it to say, great news.
A quote from the conclusion:
Quote:

The same could be said about this entire situation. While it would have been preferable and more likely to garner respect had Ubisoft come right out and apologized and admitted it had been wrong with the way it handled PC gaming previously, a public declaration that it is trying to be better with release dates and is abandoning both always-on DRM and activation limits is surely the next best thing.
Original interview with Stephanie Perotti and Michael Burk made by Rock Paper Shotgun.
More information.

joxer October 24th, 2012 19:29

Um… What about HoMM6 always on policy?
Not that it's so bad, but honestly due to server crashes I couldn't play it when I wanted to several times.

arthureloi October 24th, 2012 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by joxer (Post 1061167618)
Umů What about HoMM6 always on policy?
Not that it's so bad, but honestly due to server crashes I couldn't play it when I wanted to several times.

I'm with you there but unfortunately Heroes VI' always online policy will be kept the way it is. Only the new games will benefit from the new paradigm.

DArtagnan October 24th, 2012 20:00

I honestly never cared about DRM. Probably because I was never negatively affected by it.

That said, I find it awkward when games try to implement a needlessly comprehensive online segment to justify elaborate DRM. Case in point: HoMM6.

Which is unfortunate, because HoMM6 is a good HoMM.

arthureloi October 24th, 2012 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061167630)
I honestly never cared about DRM. Probably because I was never negatively affected by it.

That said, I find it awkward when games try to implement a needlessly comprehensive online segment to justify elaborate DRM. Case in point: HoMM6.

Which is unfortunate, because HoMM6 is a good HoMM.

Only saving grace is the music IMO.

DArtagnan October 24th, 2012 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthureloi (Post 1061167632)
Only saving grace is the music IMO.

I'm a big fan of the hero development system. I think it's a huge step up from the previous HoMMs.

That said, I dearly miss the innocent fantasy charm of HoMM and HoMM II.

Caidh October 24th, 2012 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061167630)
Which is unfortunate, because HoMM6 is a good HoMM.

Well to each their own but I hated HoMM6. I waited a long time before getting it since I wasn't a fan of Ubisoft's DRM but that's the least of the problems. I haven't played a game that crashes as much as it did since Daggerfall. Aside from that the game is soulless. It doesn't hold a candle to any of the previous games in the Heroes series. I even went back and played HoMM4 and realized I preferred that one!

arthureloi October 24th, 2012 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061167633)
I'm a big fan of the hero development system. I think it's a huge step up from the previous HoMMs.

That said, I dearly miss the innocent fantasy charm of HoMM and HoMM II.

I understand. But don't you think it makes them all too generic? I can still remember, to this day, the names and specialties of many heroes III and IV heroes because the classes and factions seemed unique. Every option mattered. Now every hero feels the same. A shame really, because HoMM is one of my favorite series, and a real golden part of my childhood =/

*Sorry for the off-topic*

DArtagnan October 24th, 2012 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthureloi (Post 1061167636)
I understand. But don't you think it makes them all too generic? I can still remember, to this day, the names and specialties of many heroes III and IV heroes because the classes and factions seemed unique. Every option mattered. Now every hero feels the same. A shame really, because HoMM is one of my favorite series, and a real golden part of my childhood =/

*Sorry for the off-topic*

Not really, no. But, to be honest, I haven't played HoMM6 all that much. But I've greatly enjoyed the few games I have played. I feel the diversity in powers/setups is quite massive - and they still have specializations.

Factions are also quite diverse - even if I do miss the old style town screens.

Nameless one October 24th, 2012 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan (Post 1061167640)
Factions are also quite diverse - even if I do miss the old style town screens.

I disagree with that.Factions in HoMM VI all feel too similar in playstile,all races have same buildings and all races have,archer/melee/support as first 3 units with nearly identical stats.As diversity of factions go HoMM VI is weakest in series imo.

DArtagnan October 24th, 2012 20:38

I think every single unit has become more specialised in terms of their powers - both for normal and upgraded units. In fact, I think this is probably the strongest HoMM for factional difference in terms of powers and playstyle on the battlefield.

But the aesthetic difference is somewhat reduced - and I agree that the town screen makes them seem more generic.

Kostas October 24th, 2012 21:18

The interview itself is very interesting in terms of what being said (Ubi's new DRM, PCs = 7% of revenue despite Ubisoft's employes doing the utmost to provide the most dry answers possible.

BTW arries100 I really like the kind of newsbits you've submitted today.

darkling October 24th, 2012 21:42

They aren't going to remove it from HoMM6? Then I'll just keep not buying it.

Warmark October 24th, 2012 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caidh (Post 1061167635)
Well to each their own but I hated HoMM6. I waited a long time before getting it since I wasn't a fan of Ubisoft's DRM but that's the least of the problems. I haven't played a game that crashes as much as it did since Daggerfall. Aside from that the game is soulless. It doesn't hold a candle to any of the previous games in the Heroes series. I even went back and played HoMM4 and realized I preferred that one!

Have to agree with Caidh, even recently got the Equilibris Mod for HoMMIV and with that enjoying it more than the sterile feeling Heroes VI, at the very least enjoying IV's campaigns a lot more.

Carnifex October 24th, 2012 21:46

Same, I'd buy HoMM 6 at full price the moment they drop the DRM requirment from Ubi. I don't mind the Steam DRM, that I've gotten used to, but that's where I draw the line.



-Carn

Xian October 25th, 2012 00:32

Another to the remove from HOMM 6 and I would buy it crowd. As long as it punishes me for not being online while playing single player, I am voting with my wallet.

Tragos October 25th, 2012 13:50

Finally Ubisoft gets it that showing love for the customer rises sales .
I remember there was another interview of their CEO on the watch saying that their DRM is an absolute success but i am too lazy to search now :p

CutLunch October 25th, 2012 18:22

Hey Ubi
 
Homm 6 still doing the always on DRM? Fine - the new King's Bounty is out tomorrow anyway.

Alrik Fassbauer October 25th, 2012 20:16

So soon ? Oops …


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:04.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch