Shadow of War - Free Demo

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War now offers a free demo. Additionally the game recently removed its marketplace and revised its end-game to be less grindy.

Play Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™ for FREE with our all-new demo! Links to all platforms available at www.ShadowofWar.com! Build an army of unique Orc followers and lead them in a fortress assault deep in the heart of Mordor. Take down the overlord and replace him with your own ally! Your new overlord will follow you into the full version of the game once you purchase.
More information.

Anyone here play this? I might try the demo but combat tends to not be my driving force in games. Graphics look nice though.

Is their a difficulty slider? I suck on games that require twitch reflexes, quick reaction times, or all those complicated combo-moves. So if its like Dark Souls then no thanks.

50GB demo? Yeah, about that.

They say you should never speak unless you have something positive to say.

I say: bullshit.

This game is crap.

Anyone here play this? I might try the demo but combat tends to not be my driving force in games. Graphics look nice though.

Is their a difficulty slider? I suck on games that require twitch reflexes, quick reaction times, or all those complicated combo-moves. So if its like Dark Souls then no thanks.

I played the first haven’t gotten to the second game yet. No difficulty sliders in the first game but I found the game trivially easy. I do play a lot of ARPG’s though and have beaten all the souls games so ymmv.

Combat is Batman style if you’re familiar with that. It’s also the best thing about the games imo even if it does get repetitive. If you can’t play a game for combat alone this game may have nothing to offer you.

I enjoyed this game a whole lot, except that once I hit the grind of the last level (after about 30-40 hours of playing) I completely stopped playing and just watched videos of the ending.

The demo is a perfect replica of the game. Just repeat it 50 times and that is the game. Not even joking.
Replace the names of orcs and the names of cities.

There is a slider. I play on max difficulty and I'm not even a good twitch player. The lower settings are even easier. Equivilent to a story mode.

Saying that however, you can likely condense the entire story script in 15m of cutscenes and 1 page od text.

Ah well may hold off then lol. Appreciate the feedback though - thanks all!

50GB demo? Yeah, about that.
The game is 100+ Gb of mostly uncompressed resources. Why is that so? Because it's a garbage port from consoles and then uncompressing would take too much of time on the rubbish hardware so they didn't bother to improve it in PC version.

I say: bullshit.

This game is crap.
I gave in and bought it. Played cca 15 hours and my initial impression is what Dart says. Crap.
Outdated designs are everywhere:

- There is no manual saving and the game autosaves on finishing a mission or looting someting. Upon reload you're thrown to a closest fast travel point which is often too far from the place you've exited the game because, dunno, the baby started crying.

- Trashmobs respawn endlessly but as if it's not enough, here and there a miniboss is thrown on top of your head and they call it "ambush". This happens both while in freeroam and while doing a mission. The cure? Run away from this ambush as you get nothing good from it except wasting time.

- Minibosses do respawn, but rarely. But at spots they were and you killed them, after a while are replaced by other minibosses. Grind your way over and over to what. Some more xp and loot? For god's sakes...

- Ubisoft towers? Yea, they're in! DA:I telescope seeking for points of interest? Oh, yeeees, that's in too!

- Some sidemissions have timed bonus. Even Ubisoft dropped this timed bullshit after AC2.

- Controls are retarded. On k+m. I'm not sure how to fix it and if it's possible. Spawning is on 2, ultimate is on 5. Not sure what's on other numbers yet. Skill combos are totally unintiutive (for example hold_shift+g to throw an egg instead of just q like in Ubi's games).
Space is for run, holding it while moving forward on the ledge will make the hero jump. Then you can press it once more to make another leap in the midair. Then you can press and hold right mouse to aim. Then press x on the keyboard to teleport on a hostil being aimed at to instakill it (if not boss). What I've just written is required for a reward in a side mission but you have only 1 minute to do it on 14 hostiles scattered around. Who designed this bullshit?!

- Graphics is playstation 3. I'm a graphics whore and there was no moment so far where I'd say, omg tis is so cool or this is beautiful. Of course, hair sux as if it's not AAA title from 2018. but some random garbage.
You can change difficulty at any time, but I'm playing on normal and have no problems. Two minibosses (ambush) killed me, but they were level 15 and I was level 5. But that's it. That's why I say when you get "ambushed", don't waste time but just leave.
No need for any twitch reflexes.
It's not dark souls - you don't have to grind over and over in order to beat minibosses.

I also thought it was crap.

I got it free with my laptop, because of the video card in it. Even being free, I couldn't play more than 10 minutes of it. I could see mashing one button to mow down endless waves of orcs was going to be the hallmark of this game, and I was already bored with it.

Well it's not really supposed to be a button masher, you have space for dodge, e for all sorts of stun, later you'll be able to use rightclick for counter, then you have atrocious ctrl+something can't remember combination for mounting beasts (and fight while riding them), etc.

But yeah. Endless respawns kill fun. Just pretend they're not there and run past them, don't waste time on trashmobs in freeroam or trashmobs in quests/sidequests that aren't your objective. Unless you want intel or loot from a specific trashmob (marked with green circle or white star).

Some will say what about the nemesis system if you ignore dangerous minibosses (read: comitting a suicide on a miniboss that outlevels you so you can get better loot later) - don't worry about that. You'll get a skill to threaten a miniboss through his minions which has the same effect as if you were beaten by that miniboss previously.

TW3? LOL
This game has absolutely nothing in common with TW3.

Shadow of War is Assassins Creed clone with an additional feature called nemesis system, but in almost every single part it's worse than AC: Origins. The only thing where it's on the same level with ACO is unoptimized code on PC.

Yes, you guys are right that it isn't strictly a one-button masher. It plays more like a Batman or Assassin's Creed game. I was exaggerating. Boring is relative, and I was bored after 10 min.

TW3? LOL
This game has absolutely nothing in common with TW3.

Possible. Maybe this product, contrary to TW3, requires to watch the screen when hammering the button. TW3 does not.

What on earth are you talking about? Obviously you didn't play TW3 and that's okay, feel free to believe it's blindperson's randomclick kill2win Akali from LOL.

In Shadow of War after a while you don't have to do anything, just sit back and let your minions do kills. Mission given by you to a crewmember (one minion), summoned mount and your bodyguard destroy everything and anything without you doing a single click.
Twitchers' paradise. Garbage of a game.

Back
Top Bottom