RPGWatch Feature - Torment: Tides of Numenera Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Before the release of Torment: Tides of Numenera, we sent a bunch of questions from our RPGWatch members to InXile, after waiting patiently, we received them back after the release. So this is actually a pre-release interview, but we got to ask Brian Fargo three questions as well just after the release, which we received today. So here is the total interview.

Pessimeister: The original Torment saw a much more literary and philosophical tinged narrative that arguably gave a new found depth compared to most western cRPGs that came before it. Could you speak generally about being conscious of this heritage and of the challenges to maintain and deepen this literary tradition?

Colin: Zeb Cook, the creator of the Planescape setting, described it as "philosophers with clubs." Given my own major in college, this naturally spoke to me, and I dove right in. Part of the reason this appealed to me is... well, in the Tractatus, Wittgenstein wrote, "Philosophy is not a body of doctrine, but an activity." Planescape was this quote made flesh, and Planescape: Torment was the opportunity to expand on it. Combine that with Chris Avellone's excellent and inventive story, and suddenly you've got a masterpiece.

When you're asked to develop a successor to something like that, it's a responsibility you take seriously. Obviously, whether we've succeeded or not is going to be a subjective matter, but what I can say is that we put a great deal of care into creating a thematically connected narrative, bringing the world to life with a host of NPCs and quests, and creating a rich tapestry of deep reactivity - we have gated a lot of content in this game in order make replays enjoyable and memorable. Part of our goal - my goal, at least - is to take philosophical influences that might be more abstruse and make them accessible through the medium of gameplay. We're hoping that our work here will spark inquiry and exploration in our players' minds, much as PST did 17 years ago.
More information.

Thanks to all those who submitted questions to ask the InXile devs.

Wow! What a long and comprehensive interview. I'll need to go back and read it thoroughly once I've played the game. For now I only read questions which didn't seem to contain spoilers.

Nice interview. Was interested to read it was a conscious decision to make their WL3 crowdfunding campaign more vague in its description. It does seem to me they got slammed pretty hard in reviews for cutting content. Personally, I'm waiting for patches to add some of it back before I play the game.

But, I suppose everything is a double-edged sword. Not providing more detail led to me not backing WL3. It's description was more vague, although it certainly did point out it would be co-op. These days, when I read co-op with no detailed assurances of how the single player will be handled well and without compromise, I just stay the hell away.

Wow, that is big suprise! I contributed a lot of questions but it looked like they wont send answers. So this is great suprise and the timing is nice too (for me). I finished some work, Im tired so I try to relax a little and boom… the interview is on! Almost like nice reward for that work. :)

Thanks to Inxile, Myrthos and all. And I think this is not the last interview with Inxile on RPGWatch. :)

Last edited:
I think that its easy to have a lot of good ideas for a game and its hard to implement these. This isn't the first game I've backed where something hasn't functioned like it should and either held up the development of the game almost indefinitely (That Which Sleeps- A. I.), or proves too time intensive to implement (day-night cycle D:OS) the problem is, for example, when something like number of companions is mentioned early, and there are players like me (who love companions) than disappointment is bound to happen if companions are cut. This seems most likely with stretch goals, such a the fortress in Pillars of Eternity (which was not implemented in a way that many players liked), or the aforementioned day and night cycle. Still, I'm happy when the game turns out to be good, even less these features. But I think its probably better not to raise expectations, and I think InXile made the smart decision in keeping the promises for Wasteland 3 vague.

Glad to see this interview came to fruition after all - I was a bit worried for awhile that nothing would eventuate when the thread didn't appear to move anywhere. :)

Great work by the other Watchers - particularly those that had already played the game and could ask much more specific questions. (tips hat to Farflame, Zloth, Silver)
I enjoyed the read. Thanks also to InXile for their time!

Back
Top Bottom