Anthem - Gameplay Demo Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Anthem gameplay demo shown at E3 is now available to view.

Lead Producer Ben Irving takes us through a 20-minute Anthem gameplay demonstration, originally shown at the E3 hands-on showcase. Discover more about the traversal, combat, and teamwork on display as a team of four Freelancers complete the mission “Scars & Villainy.”
More information.

Best Action Game Winner of E3. O_O

Oh BioWare I'll go weep in the corner.:cries:

Have zero interest in this game. Bioware appears to no longer make games I tend to be interested in (I did enjoy MEA though). No desire for a co-op social online shoot-em up game no matter how pretty those graphics are. Is a nice video though.

I'm a fan of the genre, definitely.

But I'm not a fan of suits dictating what developers should be doing - which is the vibe I get from this game.

Of course, I really don't have any kind of concrete evidence - and I could definitely just be talking out of my ass here - but I can't help but look at these videos and imagine a big fat man in a suit, smoking a cigar, with dollar signs in his eyes :)

I'm a fan of the genre, definitely.

But I'm not a fan of suits dictating what developers should be doing - which is the vibe I get from this game.

Of course, I really don't have any kind of concrete evidence - and I could definitely just be talking out of my ass here - but I can't help but look at these videos and imagine a big fat man in a suit, smoking a cigar, with dollar signs in his eyes :)
Again this pic says it all Darth Tagnan. Evil EA Overlord :lol:

1445747704005.png

Have zero interest in this game. Bioware appears to no longer make games I tend to be interested in (I did enjoy MEA though.
I enjoyed ME:A also but suits decided to cancel all the expansions DLC. I know DA:4 is in development but at this point I'm not hyped about it.
No desire for a co-op social online shoot-em up game no matter how pretty those graphics are. Is a nice video though.
Blame EA and it's shareholders just look at the Command & Conquer abomination.

Last edited:
Checked out the demo video and couldn't finish it.

It's incredibly pretty and polished - that's for sure, but the gameplay looks utterly drone-like with zero challenge or strategy involved, regardless of the "combo" mechanics.

But ok, it's a demonstration video and they're usually like that.

But, overall, it looks ultra derivative - and EA really needs to realise that the Frostbite engine can't compensate for a lack of imagination forever.

That said, with such spectacle - they're probably going to sell a few copies.

My main issue with the demo is the damage floaties, but they already added a toggle for that so now I need to see what it looks like without all that text.

Best Action Game Winner of E3. O_O

Oh BioWare I'll go weep in the corner.:cries:

They could have switched the RPG/Action game winners this year, it's not like Kingdom Hearts III is a super deep RPG experience…

Anthem also go Best PC game might I add, but that's not as good as "Best Action game" in term of marketing.

They could have switched the RPG/Action game winners this year, it's not like Kingdom Hearts III is a super deep RPG experience…

Anthem also go Best PC game might I add, but that's not as good as "Best Action game" in term of marketing.
True but then again this is not an RPG game anyway.:biggrin:

It should be classified as a MMO-lite Destiny clone.:mean:

Of course this shill says not to call it a clone.

Link - http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/16/anthem-hands-on-impressions-not-a-destiny-2-clone/
Anthem is the latest BioWare game that players can enjoy, but the team best known for their incredible work on franchises such as Mass Effect and Dragon Age is doing things a little bit differently this go around. Though definitely not BioWare's first rodeo with online play, their action-RPG does carve out a new niche for the studio - one in which many couldn't help but to refer to as a "Destiny Clone." I've recently gotten a chance to the play the game, as well as sit down with the developers of Anthem, and I just have to get this off my chest: Stop calling it a Destiny clone. It has so much more to offer than that.

Let me preface this hands on impressions piece by saying I do understand why people would jump to that conclusion, but this "insult" has been hurled around since long before we even got a glimpse at the gameplay. A lot of the slander comes on the heels of the Mass Effect Andromeda controversy, with many die hard Mass Effect fans blaming the lack of attention on the upcoming online title. Since the majority of the original Mass Effect team was pulled from Andromeda to work on Anthem, the concern is noteworthy but it does lay down a breeding ground for maybe not the most helpful critique. Now that I've gotten to play a little bit about it, I hope to discourage the knee jerk comparison in hopes of showing that there seems to be much more to this game than just a Bungie copy.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with Anthem. I think that if gamers go in prepared NOT expecting it to play like Mass Effect than it will be an enjoyable experience. Solo play is encouraged, as is being a team player, and as long as you go into it with knowing that it is what it's meant to be - a brand new IP - I think others will enjoy it as well. I'm anxious to play more!

Tbh, looks definitely the most fun to play out of all three. Still on the fence about this though.
If they add good chunk of non combat content, lore and more "meat" to the quests, then I'm jumping in.
Ofc, if you don't like level scaling or grind, then you're not gonna like this.

The question is no more "can Bioware retain their traditional single-player roots in Anthem", because no bigger gaming company wants "traditional single player" anymore. all they want is "games-as-a-service".

No longer "traditional singleplayer", because that's so much fully against their money-maximizing scheme.

Maximizing money by binding players endlessly by constantly delivering DLCs.

The end could be "DLC addiction", and no, I'm serious here.

@Couchpotato; the Andromeda DLC was cancelled because the internets wouldn’t stop screaming about how Andromeda was the worst affront to humanity ever and it literally kills children.

@Couchpotato the Andromeda DLC was cancelled because the internets wouldn’t stop screaming about how Andromeda was the worst affront to humanity ever and it literally kills children.
Yes and the suits listened depite that game selling almost two million copies at that point. Anyway EA is going for more online GaaS games so no huge SP RPGs anymore.

I've a friend that's looking forward to playing this, but I see nothing that interests me in the slightest. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm certainly not throwing a penny in the direction of this one.

Bottom line if this game is a success and sells five million copies I will lose respect for all of you. Please don't as I have a very low opinion of most gamers nowadays.:puke:

Saying it is a Destiny-clone or a MMO-lite gives the impression that the open game world and lobby is shared with strangers. Anthem has no stranger shared open world or lobby. You won't see players running around you ever in Anthem unless you invite players to your sessions or join someone's else and even then you'll cap at 3 of them.

But I guess you are among the people who would call Diablo 1 or Baldur's Gate MMOs if they released today just because they have co-op capabilities...

Saying it is a Destiny-clone or a MMO-lite gives the impression that the open game world and lobby is shared with strangers. Anthem has no stranger shared open world or lobby. You won't see players running around you ever in Anthem unless you invite players to your sessions or join someone's else and even then you'll cap at 3 of them.

But I guess you are among the people who would call Diablo 1 or Baldur's Gate MMOs if they released today just because they have co-op capabilities…
No I took Darth Tagnan's words from another thread and agreed with him.
"EA wants to get in on the MMO-lite action" and Destiny clone.
Sorry azarhal I used to defend BioWare on almost most RPGs they released, but I really can't see the appeal of this game, and that it's BioWare making it is worse.

To me I cant believe you actually like or support this abomination.:disappointed:

The game looks kinda boring to me... it's not my thing, though were it to end up having a lot of back story, lore and some other elements about customizing your character, etc, it's not impossible that I'd pick up a game like this cheap in a couple years to try it (the world/level design does look pretty good).

That said, what I find interesting are the reactions to the game because it comes from Bioware. People have expectations around what they'll produce next based on their past games. On one hand, that's to be expected but on the other, games studios (like any creative entity) change as time goes on and produce different things. Writers, directors, musicians can produce works that break from their past work and alienate fans.

Their was a time that companies like Ubi and EA were seen as not-evil and producing some good games (well, maybe not totally evil). And conversely, we've seen other companies morph to producing games we're not as fond of (I'd argue that's starting to happen with Bethesda).

So this isn't a surprise to me... when I see this kind of thing, I tend to just shrug about it. There will also be other, newer companies producing great RPGs to play... until such a time they grow too big and successful and go after bigger dollars - and then there'll be other, new companies, etc...

Further, not really caring that much if Bioware is no longer going to make games I like, it does let me look at the work a bit more objectively as I don't feel emotionally invested in what they do or don't do. If this game was being released by a studio we never heard of, we might have a different opinion on it to some degree (though you could argue it wouldn't have gotten posted here in that case, as it seems to have little or no rpg elements)... Which is to say it might be judged more objectively... and while for me, it doesn't look particularly interesting as a video game, I can see how it would appeal to many players (which doesn't automatically equate to it being being bad).

Their roots in SP RPG? Both BG's had even IWD's had multiplayer. Of all the IE engine games, PS:T was SP only and this was cited as one of the reasons for its failure.

Am I arguing semantics here? Do people only consider DA and ME as Bioware's "roots". That would make sense for 20 something console game reviewers.

Link - http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/16/anthem-hands-on-impressions-not-a-destiny-2-clone/

Stop calling it a Destiny clone
"insult"
slander
I didn't get a Destiny 2 feel
The game can…be played solo
NOT…Mass Effect…a brand new IP
….
OTOH

Is it a game changer? No
BioWare implemented level scaling
Keep in mind that I haven't played the entire game, this isn't a review

The word "apologist" comes to mind.

The article reads like it comes from an old gamer magazine site. I recall Bioware gave "gaming journalists" free trips to Edmonton (probably included hotels) to show their latest games in the past so I am wonder if this is what she is hoping for.

Last edited:
Well just to clarify I didn't say the game would be bad just that it doesn't appeal to me. The Bioware brand doesn't matter that much. I mean I love Skyrim and FO4 and like many Beth games but have zero interest in FO76 either for much the same reasons as Anthem.

Back
Top Bottom