D:OS2 Tips & Tricks thread

Divinity: Original Sin 2

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Thread for tips&tricks…because this game seriously need them.

Race:
- Lizards don't need a shovel to dig
- Undead don't need lockpicks to pick lock (still need Thievery though)

Crafting:
- Getting "free" immunity to slipping (aka walking on frozen surface without falling on your ass): right click your boots, select combine with and add nails.
- also nails can be turned into lockpicks (need a hammer)
- You can make money off crafting, by turning junk into armor and selling them.

For people who don't read the tooltips:
- Initiative doesn't work like in DOS1, the turns are staggered per party and initiative mostly define the order the party members move among themselves. Everyone will have an action per turn regardless of initiative. It also appear that CC that last one turn actually just push back that character turn to the start of the next turn (from what I could observe).
- Magical damage is anything elemental based, be it grenades, surfaces, weapon enchantments, etc. Spell like Mosquito Swarm are not magical damage.
- physical damage is everything else and warfare increase ALL physical damage (even Mosquito Swarm).
- Warfare actually scale with your weapon attribute not just strength, so you can use it with Int and Finesse weapons too.
- Hydrosophist increase all healing and magical armor recovery (spells, potions and Necro passive)
- Geomancer increase all physical armor recovery (spell, potions). Note that polymorph have physical armor recovery spells.
- Necromancer heals doesn't hurt undead party members.
- All summons and Totems gains from the Summoner skill points. That include the one not in the Summoner skill like (see Necro, Geo and Huntsman…even the cat)
- Some skills bypass armor (sawthooth on scoundrel, marksman's fang on huntsman for example).

Skills:
- You only need 5 in a skill to learn all skillbooks for that skill. Higher than that will still give you the passive but in most cases putting a point into the attribute tied to the skill will have a greater impact.
- The exception are Summoner, where 10 will buff up your Incarnate a lots, and Polymorph which give you +1 attribute point to spend per point spent in it.
- By the way, summons aren't attribute dependent at all. They entirely depends on your level and the Summoner skill level.
- Also, you can only have 1 summon out per character (regardless of skill origin) and 3 Totems.

Misc:
- When one of your party member is in a conversation, you can switch to the others who are free to do do whatever (they aren't in the conversation). That include switching stuff from inventories, keeping guards busy while others go do something nasty, etc.

Last edited:
A few from the top of my head:

- Most of people in the game are racist. Means, talk to a dwarf with your dwarf main or dwarf crewmember to get the best outcome. Also means, the best party has all four playable races, or at least one undead who can pose as any race (gets also all passives from the currently chosen race, for example critchance if masked as human).

- Elf eating corpses sounds disgusting. By doing it sometimes the elf (or undead masked as elf) will learn a new skill, sometimes open a new quest, so what are you waiting for?

- Talk to animals. Always talk to animals. Even if it seems silly, talk to animals. Turn on those speakers! Means one of your party members need Pet Pal perk. Additionally, improve social skill Persuasion on exactly that party member. Thank me later.

- Don't bother with overthinking your build on the first island. Try not to be jack of all trades, of course. There is a tooltip that say you can start as one class then switch to another later. The tip is true. It should also say, you'll be able to switch for free as many times you want.

- Don't pick Mnemonic perk on the first island. On the second, it's possibly the best one.

- Which race is the best spellcaster? Human with Savage Sortilege perk! If you just have to play undead wizz, well, keep it masked as human during fights.

- Teleport is the most OP thing in this game so don't sell gloves of teleportation, ever!

Oh this is great. I especially like the one about nails and boots on ice. So many options in this game its amazing.

Poison Totem (totem spawned on poison surface which by the way you can create with a poison wand) are smart enough to heal friendly undead.

You can put custom tags on the map (right click to create, left click to remove). They will show as blue flags.

You can "cancel" cursed surface. Well at least water, randomly discovered that last night.

Cursed water + freezing (like with Global Cooling) remove the cursed factor...and then the AI showed me that putting an oil surface over a frozen surface remove the frozen surface too.

You have (*khm* stolen I mean…) plenty of small healing pots that are now obsolete?
Combine them! Two combined give medium healing pot! So now instead of 30+30, you heal 140 vitality! Combine two medium to normal healing pot, then get huge healing pot then, OMG what's this monstrosity?!

Works for undead healing too. Combine ooze barrel with empty bottles for small poison pots. Then combine small poison pots to a mediem, then large, then giant, then humongous.

Does it work for other types of pots? Dunno for all, but I bet it does. For small magic armor potion it does work for example. Yeah, first split pot stacks, of course (shift+drag a stack or rightclick). No it doesn't work for bottles of beer to get some proper drink, I've tried. :(

Huge spoiler, huge:
Combine black rose you got from the witch ion the first island with empty potion bottle.
Note than the buff you get from this pot is lost if you die. Best to save it for the last battle, right?

Additionally, don't forget to pickpocket the goddess in veil (yes, you can!) and Malady!

Last edited:
copying form the impression thread.

All those consumables, put them in your inventory bag item, then slot that item into the hotbar. While in combat you can open the bag by clicking the icon on the hotbar and select things in it as if they were in the hotbar. You can also slot more than one bag.

In other word, you can have a bag with scrolls, one with grenades and one with potions and it takes only 3 slots on the hotbar. Although, I don't think you can have all 3 bags open at the same time (never tried).

I learned that trick by reading the journal tutorial section. ;)

If you can find them agmentors + medium healing potion is a better deal than two medium healing potions. Also don't forget p. mushroom and empty flask gives healing potion.

yarrow flowers + empty potion bottles gives health elixir potions (heals a lot more than just health potions).

There are also armor potions you can make, but I don't remember the plants/mushroom for them right now.

yarrow flowers + empty potion bottles gives health elixir potions (heals a lot more than just health potions).

There are also armor potions you can make, but I don't remember the plants/mushroom for them right now.

Armadovier or something like that makes magic armor. Whisperweed or Whisperwood makes physical, iirc. Mixing two weak potions makes the next one up too. So, two minor heals makes a medium heal.

Act 2 seemingly impossible to reach chests inside and outside of wreckers cave (spoiler):
http://steamcommunity.com/app/435150/discussions/0/1495615865207214043/

Yea, I know this isn't really a general trick, but it does explain why a certain item pair isn't useless nor can be replaced by teleport spell and why a certain ability also isn't useless.

The pyramids are never useless. The best is to keep one in each party member so when you get forcefully split via scripted events you can easily get the gang back together.

All that and for what somebody called "joxertm22" says is a disappointment? :)

I guess after all the hassle because some of us are turn every stone instead of fastrun, the loot in those hard to get chests could have been if not nicer then at least worth more in stores.
Okay, perhaps I should have put it in another thread with specific solutions, but it's supposed to be a general hint in form of examples on other similarily "impossible" to reach stuff.

Speaking of reward disappointments, when you get to choose between 4 equips as a quest reward, always pick the most expensive item. Always IMO. Even if it looks as something else is perhaps a better option - traders have better stuff to sell and you need $.

Loremaster ability at least on the first and second island seem useless. Traders can identify anything for some cheap $, so don't invest points into that.

The pyramids are never useless. The best is to keep one in each party member so when you get forcefully split via scripted events you can easily get the gang back together.
You can send any item to any party member (magic pockets) so no need to keep pyramids scattered on different characters. ;)

But yeah, this "trick" makes the ship battle and certain caves not so impossible as it looks initially. Assuming you got the first pair of pyramids before those encounters.
Oddly, the game instead of hinting this, suggests you to flee from the ship battle, LOL

Last edited:
I just got to the boat last night (Lady of War) and left the island. I hadn't been aware about the teleport glove so no teleporting for me. Worse I somehow sold my disarm trap and lockpick kits so screwed myself. Haven't found any way to replace them yet. So no lock picking, disarming, or teleporting for my team unless I can find something in act 2.

I just got to the boat last night (Lady of War) and left the island. I hadn't been aware about the teleport glove so no teleporting for me. Worse I somehow sold my disarm trap and lockpick kits so screwed myself. Haven't found any way to replace them yet. So no lock picking, disarming, or teleporting for my team unless I can find something in act 2.

If you have an undead in your group they can use their fingers as lockpicks.

Back
Top Bottom