Dragon Commander - Let's Play One Turn

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
A new video from Divinity: Dragon Commanderoffers an in-depth look at gameplay. The clip features Swen Vincke as he plays through one turn in the game's single-player campaign.

Swen takes us through one turn of Dragon Commander where he shows all aspects of the game.
More information.

Man, I hope this looks like fun to some of you. I was bored to death, but then again, I don't play army games. To me, it looks like a massive waste of money and resources and time that could have been spent on a crpg :D

It looked pretty neat to me at least :p

Man, I hope this looks like fun to some of you. I was bored to death, but then again, I don't play army games. To me, it looks like a massive waste of money and resources and time that could have been spent on a crpg :D
Well to each there own looks good to me. I play more than just CRPG's anyway.:p I don't know what you excepted as we knew from the beginning it's a RTS/RPG hybrid.

This looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait. I got this while backing the Divinity kickstarter, and while I did it mostly to support Larian, it looks like I'm getting a fun game out of it(2 fun games if you count original sin) =)

Stop being so narrow-minded. ;)

Pledged for this in the d:OS Kickstarter also. RTSs aren't by any means my favourite genre, but they can be quite fun as long as the number of units you have to control doesn't get out of hand. Also there seems to be a quite a mix of genres here. I did think the NPCs tended to rabbit on a bit in the demo and notice that made even Sven a bit impatient to move on.

I don't like RTS. I suck at them, I enjoy watching the battles too much, and that is a no-no, you're supposed to be issuing orders all over the map all the time.

I agree.

Can you pause and issue orders? Those are the only RTS games I play, sadly there aren't a huge number of them.

Can you pause and issue orders? Those are the only RTS games I play, sadly there aren't a huge number of them.

My impression from reviews is that RTS part is fast paced so no pause.It does make sense since Swen Vincke is big fan of starcraft.

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought when watching the RTS battle ("looks like Starcraft"). I hope for pause, so I can look rather than just frantically issue orders.

Larian just released the D:OS pledge management and offered Dragon Commander beta to everyone with a DC tier. I'm not watching that video :)

I think they said earlier, that players can tweak their main character to be more fight oriented than strategy oriented. So you can at least somewhat migitate if you dont like RTS that much.

If you hate RTS, however, I fear that'll never be enough.

(Of course, if you dont like the dragon action part either, that's too bad.)

Loved the look - took me forever to enjoy RTS and still only like a few, definitely not my fave genre.

I grabbed this as part of backing Original Sin, but will enjoy playing!

Looked over this.

Then looked at my email - new update regarding Wasteland 2, complete with new screenshot! Huzzah!.

Huge disparity in interest between those two :p Which is not to say I won't play DC, but I likely won't bother playing it at launch unless you guys pump out raving anecdotes.

I think this looks like a lot of fun. Pretty fast-paced though, I'll have to see if I get used to that, usually prefer a little slower RTS games.
But a minor dissapointed to me is that the scenes on the mothership seem to be static - basically graphical menus. I had assumed we'd be able to walk around on the Raven, Mass Effect Style, and I had looked forward to that because I really like the visual design of it.

Last edited:
Yes they are static in the sense that you cannot move around. The characters you talk to are animated, but that's it. The RPG part is all about interaction with the inhabitants on the ship, diplomacy, making choices and experiencing the consequences. There is no exploring the ship.

It's not really a big deal, just a misinterpretation of what was shown previously on my part. Always hurts if a feature is taken away, even if it was an imaginary one :p

Anyone try out the beta yet who can answer the question about issuing orders while paused? This is a deal-breaker feature for me in a RTS.

Back
Top Bottom