Turn Based Lovers - On The Radar - June 2021

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Like every month The Turn Based Lovers checked out the upcoming tactical / turn-based games:

On The Radar - June 2021

"There's always room for a story
that can transport people to another place."
- J.K. Rowling

A few days ago - at least, at the time of writing - it has been released one of the most promising turn-based games of the year: Solasta Crown of the Magister.
I haven't played it yet, but, in the meantime, I've read the accurate and well-written Doubt's review. Even if, overall, Solasta is described as a great game, among its few flaws, Doubt have listed one particular downside that has caught my attention: the story.
In fact, although Solasta seems to excel in most sectors (from its dynamic combat to the innovative use of the environment), the story is described as "unremarkable at best, confusing and nonsensical at worst (...) even the NPCs are boring and relatively lifeless".
Well, in my modest opinion, this one of the biggest problem of the entire "fantasy genre".
To better express my thoughts, I can simply refer to a question I recently wrote for one of my upcoming interviews (a very big one, trust me!).
Thinking about the evolution of the fantasy genre through the recent years, I wrote that, in almost every single fantasy RPG, you will always find at least two or three of these random story elements: a) the rise of a great evil; b) a man who loses his memory; c) the "chosen one", usually the man without memory as before, which is the medieval version of a superhero; d) a journey through places that necessarily include: deserts, ice lands and volcanoes; e) a conflict between races. Those elements are so strong embedded into the genre that it is almost impossible to consider "fantasy" a game whose story is missing one of them.

[...]

• INFINITE DUNGEON CRAWLER - 1st June
  • SLIPWAYS - 3rd June
  • EDGE OF ETERNITY - 8th June
  • WILDERMYTH - 15th June
  • ROGUEBOOK - 17th June
  • FATE OF WINDSHIFT E.A. - 22th June
  • LIVE BY TH SWORD: TACTICS E.A. - 23rd June
  • COMBAT MISSION COLD WAR - June
More information.

Edge of Eternity is all I care about as I've been waiting many years to play after it was funded. I shared a walk-through video of the game on my news thread last week.

Edge of Eternity Walkthrough Trailer

The release on PC of Edge of Eternity is imminent. Discover the mechanics of the Edge of Eternity by Midgar Studio through this video commented by the voice actor of daryon: Micah Solusod

Edge of Eternity does look really good, and likely is the highlight on the list for me. A couple of the others strike my fancy as well, June will not be a boring month in the gaming world for new releases.

Can't say any of those really interest me. EoE does look impressive though coming from a small studio with only 1 previous game under its belt.

Edge of Eternity is all I care about as I've been waiting many years to play after it was funded. I shared a walk-through video of the game on my news thread last week.

Edge of Eternity Walkthrough Trailer

Cool, going to check this out on gamepass.

Interesting this list doesn't mention Mercenaries Blaze, which is the only turn-based game I'm really looking forward to play this month (tho I will check Edge of Eternity on GamePass thanks to the notice of our official GamePass announcer).

Seeing how bad some of those games are/look, I imagine they just missed Mercenaries Blaze, or didn't know about the game.

Usually the only value I find in these lists is discovering non-mainstream games that could have gone under my radar, but if they are not going to even cover that, they're fully useless.

Back
Top Bottom