Three games you most want remade

D

DArtagnan

Now that remakes have become so popular - I've been thinking about what games I most want remade.

When I say remade - I'm not going to set any particular boundary in terms of whether it's a 1:1 visual upgrade - or a complete re-imagining that we're talking about.

So, for a fun little distraction, I thought we could have a thread with an arbitrary limit of three games - so as to not exhaust games too soon :)

Here are three of mine:

Goldbox games (the entire collection, but I would particularly love to see a return of Buck Rogers)

Back in the day, these were bigger than Baldur's Gate for me. They were essentially the ultimate version of past CRPGs that I'd loved, like Bard's Tale. I just loved them to death - and I would absolutely love to see a modern iteration of all of them, including the game maker FRUA. I have a particular fondness for the two Buck Rogers games - as they represent one of the first sci-fi roleplaying games I got to play.

Aliens versus Predator 2

To me, this is still the best game based on the franchise. It's probably the only one of them I would consider great - and, unfortunately, it has aged particularly poorly - and it both looks and sounds like crap today. But a modern version (and revitalization of the AvP games) would be fantastic.

Dungeons and Dragons Online

I absolutely adore DDO - but it's just way, way too old by now. But it remains the PERFECT co-op MMO, and it has THE best character progression system of any MMO in existence. I still play it on occasion, but the genre has just moved on in too many ways - and the horrible lag doesn't help.

But a proper modern iteration - keeping all the best aspects of the game, but modernizing certain others, like taking away the absurd emphasis on buffs and obviously spicing up combat a lot. I would also argue for the implementation of custom player dungeons with proper tools.

Man, I would play that game to death.

---

Anyway, do you guys have games you're dying to see remade?

Civilisation, Assassin's Creed & Mario Brothers. Heroes of Might and Magic & Total War as well possibly. Street Fighter maybe.

I'd have to think about that, but I reckon remaking the Goldbox series would be a winner. I think it would be pretty easy to whip up some excitement for the return of the gold boxes.

I wonder if they might be in some sort of rights limbo, though. I think Ubisoft gobbled up SSI, and Lord knows what the status of the licensing might be.

Great thread idea.

1. Legacy of Kain: I'd like these game to be fully remade, except for the script/audio recordings. Those need to be kept intact, except maybe if there are lossless versions of the recordings they could remastered. Blood Omen and Blood Omen 2 especially need to be fully remade. Blood Omen into more of a 3rd person action game, and not a 2D hack-and-slash metroidvania game. It needs to be more in keeping with the other 4 games.

2. Bloodborne: This game needs to have remastered version @ 60fps and also released for PC. I've been waiting for a version to be announced for 5 years now. And it feels like there's "rumors" for this for as long as I can remember.

3. Evil Islands: This game was and still is amazing, a true hidden gem, and I think you can no longer buy this anywhere? Or maybe on gog? Either this one, or my next remaster proposal. Even a remaster would be acceptable for this, since it still holds up, even though it's very low-poly.

4. Yeah, I'm cheating but I can't let this one go, since I have issues every time I try to run this. This game had the amazing and tight combat of Dark Souls games a decade before it. It's Severance: Blade of Darkness. Amazing game.

I'm generally happy to leave good memories rest and improve with time :)

For the sake of the discussion, I'd say:

Thief II, for letting players lurk in the dark and play all sorts of pranks on the villains, and the story and the steampunk style of the setting.

Deus Ex, which encourages exploration, tactical and stealthy approach, and hacking one's body with hi-tech gizmos.

Gothic 3 (I didn't play Gothic 1 & 2 so I can't say if I'd prefer them), for the freedom of choice it offers, the open world, the way it leaves the players search on their own, the great and dramatic castle architecture.

I see another possible discussion on games that would deserve a new episode, and what it should be.

1. Morrowind but only the combat system. I don't care too much about the graphics and they can, along with other minor stuff, be fixed with mods or OpenMW. I can get past the combat but it's simply not enjoyable. There is some mod that kind of fixes the combat but I found it janky at best. New animations and effects are needed as well to make it feel more realistic and enjoyable for me.

2. Any other RPG released before Fallout 1. Again, not for the graphics but mostly for UI, QoL fixes and ease of running them on newer systems (although GOG does a pretty good job with DOSBox). They were released well before my time so When I started playing RPGs in early/mid 2000s I got interested by a lot of them: aforementioned Gold Box games, Darklands, Realms of Arkania games (which are getting remakes but I was disappointed by the first one), etc. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get past the archaic design in some areas. The only one I could play and had no big issues were Eye of the Beholder games. It would be awesome to play Ultima Underworld games with modern controls.

3. Speaking of Ultima Underworld, I would also like to see the first three Thief games remade as well. I know I said I don't care about graphics much but I do like a game more if it has good graphics. I can absolutely play the Thief games to this day and while I still have issues with some of the design, they are quite enjoyable. However, while their graphics looked great for the time I would love to see them remade in a newer engine, possibly with raytracing. They benefit a lot from the lighting and this area developed a lot in the past 20-something years. I know there is The Dark Mod which is essentially a remake in the Doom 3 engine, but the original levels and characters/acting are so memorable and I would like to see them again in new clothes.

Number one: The entire gold box line. Tomorrow. Make it so!!

Number two: Betrayal at Krondor. Honestly it doesn't need much, perhaps a few visual upgrades and some quality issues.

Number three: the first five Wizardry games. Again, perfectly playable today, yet certainly could be improved.

Now, sadly back to the real world.

Not a fan of remakes or reboots in general. So if I have to pick three.

Every Command and Conquer game. EA only did the first game and it's expansions so far this year. So there is a small chance it might happen given the good sales.

Oblivion. Yes I went there just remove the level scaling. Remake it with the creation engine with better graphics, and get rid of that conversation window as well.

Since I'm already going there how about a remake of Fallout 1&2 as well.:p

My options:

1. Wizardry VIII. Seriously, I've been wanting this for a loooong time. And please, no need to remade the excessive respawns as well :)

2. Ultima Underworld 1.

3. Daggerfall.

1. Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis
2. X-Wing - all games, with a much better modern engine
3. Lemmings

Honorable mentions :
4. The old Blues Brothers jump & run game
5. Albion in 3D
6. Realms Of Arcania : Star Trail - with a much better modern engine
7. Zoo Tycoon 2D - runnable on a modern PC ( I just don't like the 3D games of that series - I never bought them !)
8. all those games by Impressions in German language - I do know that they exist, because I have them, still from Sierra, but GOG doesn't, and Steam neither.
9. Goooblins series
10. the King's Quest game before the last one, runnable on modern PCs

3. Speaking of Ultima Underworld, I would also like to see the first three Thief games remade as well. I know I said I don't care about graphics much but I do like a game more if it has good graphics.

Are you familiar with NewDark? No raytracing or anything quite so modern, but it pushes the original engine well beyond where it could originally go and most of the FMs (fan missions) take advantage of it.

I agree with you about Morrowind. I love that game to this day and visually the game looks great with mods, but the physics/combat engine is woeful.

6. Realms Of Arcania : Star Trail - with a much better modern engine
This was re-made just a couple of years ago... the engine, well, leaves a little to be desired.

As for my own wishes, the early M&M, Ultima, and Wizardry. I tried to play all of them, but they are all to clunky now.

This was re-made just a couple of years ago… the engine, well, leaves a little to be desired.

I know. That's why I wroite "with a much better modern engine".

If you had asked me the same question just a few years ago, two of my answers would have been Gothic and System Shock. Now that we're getting them, I'm not sure how excited I am about it.

M&M III-VIII
I've never been able to finish any of the older M&M games despite really wanting to like them. They're just too dated for me, and I don't have the nostalgia factor because I didn't play them back in the day.

Ultima Underworld I & II
See above.

King's Field I and II
The first fully 3D RPGs I ever played. They blew my mind back then, but they've aged horribly. I'd love to see them remade with a modern engine.

Most want remade? That's hard. As soon as I make a list I'll think of better candidates 5 minutes later.

Legend (aka The Four Crystals Of Trazere) - design your own spells (with potentially crazy chain reactions), explore dungeons, fight hordes on the overmap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzIIdM5apVU

Kingpin (that gangster FPS where you can recruit followers and play the full SP game in co-op)
Actually, I just checked and there is a remaster of this coming: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1224700/.
A full remake would be nice, though.

GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas.

Edit: Ooh, yes, Albion would be nice.

I know this is a fairly recent game but I think Battletech should be remastered in a better engine and with instant mod support. The game is amazing and the existing mods even better but it runs like a snail standing on top of another snail.

The second one for me would be Gothic and it is coming so looking forward to that one.

The last one would be [/b] Fallout as I tried replaying it recently and it was very difficult due to the UI.

Back
Top Bottom