Computer Games Then and Now @ Hooked Gamers

magerette

Hedgewitch
Hooked Gamers has a short article up called Computer Games: Then and Now, taking a look at how videogames have changed over the years. Here's the roleplaying category entry:
When RPGs first went digital, they didn't look too good. Players had to have a lot of imagination to get any sort of satisfaction out of these games. Some of the oldest weren't much better off than the text adventures of old.
I am sure that the legendary Ultima series is responsible for more than a few failed tests back then, keeping people awake through the night and away from their homework. The absolutely fantastic looking Ultima IX had groundbreaking graphics... and game-breaking bugs that were never fixed.

One of my all-time favourite games is Eye of the Beholder. In some ways you could call it a RPG version of Wolfenstein 3D, with the notable exception that you were controlling 4 characters and killed monsters from the fantasy realm of Dungeons and Dragons, rather than Nazi's.

The recently released The Witcher sets new standards when it comes to both graphical quality and art direction. The fantasy worlds created in today’s graphics engines are often breathtaking and instil the player with awe.
More information.

When RPGs first went digital, they didn't look too good. Players had to have a lot of imagination to get any sort of satisfaction out of these games. Some of the oldest weren't much better off than the text adventures of old.

I am sure that the legendary Ultima series is responsible for more than a few failed tests back then, keeping people awake through the night and away from their homework. The absolutely fantastic looking Ultima IX had groundbreaking graphics... and game-breaking bugs that were never fixed.

Did I just have a lot of imagination that others didn't? I suppose I was a computer nerd but really we weren't that rare. Everyone loved these games.

I am not sure at all what this guy is talking about even with the other games like the Fifa example. Sports games, as crude as they were, were wildly popular.

Back
Top Bottom