Torchlight - Hands-on @ Eurogamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Eurogamer is next with Torchlight impressions from PAX, with additional input from Max Shaefer and Travis Baldree:
There's the depth here that you might expect - the inventory and character pages are bafflingly, temptingly vast - but it's a game that's been designed to fit in around your life, too. "One of the focuses for the game has been to be really respectful of people's time," says Travis Baldree, Torchlight's lead designer. "I've got a four-year-old, and I don't have time for all the usual nonsense. So when you save, Torchlight saves exactly where you stand, and on top of that, we give players a pet, which will level with you and has its own inventory. That means you can get it to go back to town and sell items for you while you stay in the dungeons. We've tried to remove all the obstructions that could make a game annoying. I want to make a game I can just sit down and play."
More information.

Great article. Mythos was shaping up very well to be a hybrid MMO/ARPG. The development crew on that was awesome. Looks like they imported that awesomeness in to Torchlight. I love Action RPG's but was always left a little unsatisfied by the lack of depth. I think the MMO will probably be a refreshing change for those who think the same.

Sometimes, "annoying" features are there for other reasons than simply to be annoying.

I hope they're not doing a 'Chris Taylor' by streamlining the game until it's no longer a game, but some kind of extended interactive exercise.

Looks like it has a certain charm, though, so there's that.

Back
Top Bottom