Fury vs. Wilder

Capt. Huggy Face

Troll Aspiring to Responsibility
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Any fight fans here? I've been an on-and-off-again fan since I was a kid, currently thrown into the fully "on" position. To me, now seems like an interesting time for boxing. The heavyweights are a large part of that story, but certainly not the only one.

Personally, I think I like Fury's chances better than most. Wilder is so careful with the punches he throws, trying to pinpoint each one of those big power shots, Fury could use that great agility of his for such a big man and actually box, if his pride lets him.

But I think that's what he showed in his recent fight. (I just saw it tonight. Streamed it in the States on Showtime. A little late, I know, but that's just how I watch T.V. these days.) I thought Fury looked good. I think he also showed his willingness to do what he needs to win (and not just that fight he was in) without necessarily looking good doing it.

He looked focused. Nice mobility. Liked the little left hook to the body and the body work in general. On the other hand, Wilder hits really hard with both hands and had his own unconventional defense that seems to work for him most of the time, though there was one fight not too long ago where I thought he left himself hanging open too much. Wish I could remember his opponent, but I thought Wilder looked a bit sloppy in general that fight.

As a side note, any UK fight fans here? I've really been enjoying the recent fights in the UK. Love the energy you guys bring when the mood strikes, which is true of cricket, too. It looks like an exciting time for boxing over there. You guys have some real fighters of all kinds of weights currently, and it's been a blast to watch.

Fury vs. Wilder should be a big fight and a good fight…and a much-needed shot in the arm for the American heavyweights. Joshua is next, whenever he gets done maximizing his cash. Hurry up, we boxing Yanks need you Brits.

I think Fury is going to get destroyed.

He's only fought twice since 2015, and both opponents were low-ranked fighters. I'll be surprised if he lasts more than 3 rounds against Wilder.

Also, Fury is a UK fighter himself. :)

I'm not sure I'd place real money on it, but I think Fury has a decent chance to win on the cards, if he stays on his bike.

I know where Fury is from. Maybe I came off like I'm totally in Fury's corner and am sure he'll win. My last wording about Joshua being next is clumsy. I just meant American boxing needs Joshua next, and I probably betrayed my suspicion that Wilder will win and likely fight Joshua next, whenever Joshua decides to stop filling arenas, which he is doing easily enough right now, fighting lesser names.

Edit: Also, I will say this: It will go longer than 3 rounds.

Last edited:
I'm a bit biased, as it would be a challenge to dislike Fury any more than I do. Nasty piece of work. Hopefully Wilder gives him a poke in the chops. I'd bet on Wilder, but Fury can be dangerous, and you never know in a heavyweight fight.

Wilder vs Joshua would be something to see, but they're going to play silly buggers for a while longer. I like a bit of boxing, but I can't stand all the BS around it.

Well, it was a hell of a good fight. It might have been a draw on the official cards, but Fury won. Damned entertaining fight, though, any way you look at it.

The real reason I don't watch boxing....

Like him or not Fury won that fight..even if you say he didn't he sure didn't lose by that one judges 115 to 111 i do believe. I was late here.

Though it was a great fight.

I haven't watched it yet, but I did see some highlights. I think a draw is fair even if Fury did control most of the rounds like people claim. I have a hard time declaring him the winner when he got knocked on his ass twice and didn't score any knockdowns himself.

I haven't watched it yet, but I did see some highlights. I think a draw is fair even if Fury did control most of the rounds like people claim. I have a hard time declaring him the winner when he got knocked on his ass twice and didn't score any knockdowns himself.

3 rounds to 9 even if you scored the 2 rounds where he got knocked down 10-8.

Though both those rounds Fury got up and pushed the fight.

I understand that line of thinking, but boxing is scored round by round. The numbers, even if you give Wilder a couple rounds outside of the ones with knockdows, go for Fury. Wilder was just baffled for too many rounds.

Personally, I think Fury's was the greater achievement overall. I thought it was pretty amazing he managed to evade Wilder's right hand pretty much all night. Even if you're good, this is still boxing. People get hit. Wilder would've helped himself by recognizing this sooner. He had some success with the left hook at least a couple times, but then went back to his right hand on the brain. If memory serves, it was the left that put Fury down the 2nd time (the for-real knockdown....the 1st was, too, but it was half a rabbit punch.) And that was amazing. I thought he was out cold, and his eyes just snapped open, and he almost immediately starting getting up just in time to beat the count. I thought it was over for sure, and he ended up winning the relatively short amount of time left. Great fight.

But that also shows Wilder's natural power. Fury managed to avoid the right, but even the left knocked him the hell out....for 5 or 6 seconds. :p And he didn't even land all that many lefts over the course of the whole fight.

Personally, I think Fury's was the greater achievement overall.

I agree with that considering he also had to overcome issues outside of boxing that he was dealing with. To barely be involved in the sport the last couple of years and still perform like that was quite impressive.

It is a pretty remarkable. It's a great boxing story, a story that isn't all that pretty.

I dug this thread up with the rematch looming tomorrow. In response to CelticFrost, I won't defend how the first one was scored. It was a joke.

I put my cash on the barrel for the rematch, too. I'm getting away from pay-per-views in general, as there's a lot of boxing available through ESPN and DAZN, but I had to pony up for this one.

While it's a close call, I'm picking Wilder this time around. Wilder, a latecomer to the sport with his God's gift of a right hand, continues to improve as a fighter and a boxer. Fury is getting a big head again, firing his trainer who brought him back from the brink of his self destruction, and he didn't look very good in his last fight that he should have won more easily than he did, suffering a nasty cut over his eye in the process.

Hell, yeah. He just came right at him and beat him down, a couple of pretty defensive moves aside. Hats off to Fury. He did, essentially, exactly what he said he was going to do.

I hope Wilder is alright. You can see how wrong I was, but that was an impressive and surprising fight by Fury.

Oh, I guess I should mention the theater, too -- the whole licking the blood off of Wilder's neck from what likely was a ruptured eardrum was nuts. Took me right back to Tyson biting off part of Holyfield's ear, although this was somehow stranger. And, of course, the singalong at the end. How the Brits do like to sing. There were a lot of Brits there, but Fury just completely won over that crowd.

No one can deny it now. The only heavyweight belts left are held by Joshua, and those were vacated by Fury when he was busy putting half of Columbia up his nose. If they make that fight, Fury will mop the floor with him.

I have to say, I should have put money on this fight. :) I was one round off on my prediction of Fury KO'ing Wilder. How did I come to that conclusion? A few things.

1 - Fury was a whopping 40 lbs. heavier than Wilder, and comfortable fighting at that weight. Wilder put on extra weight and came in his heaviest ever, and I figured he would be slowed down by that extra weight.

2 - I believed Fury when he said he was going for a KO. I didn't see why that was hard to believe, he outweighed the man heavily and I figured he was going to lean on him HARD and just throw his weight around (which he did, obviously.) He trained at Gronk which is known for offensive fighting and going for KOs as well.

Anyway, I said 8th rd. KO for Fury, it was stopped in the 7th. I should have put money on it. :) Great fight though, in terms of Fury displaying his dominance. He'd beat up that Joshua guy pretty well too I reckon. Peace. :)

Back
Top Bottom