Of Gods and Men - Demo available

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
You can check out the demo of the strategy RPG Of Gods And Men: The Daybreak Empire:

RPG Of Gods And Men: The Daybreak Empire

Of Gods And Men: The Daybreak Empire is a turn-based strategy RPG in the pixel art retro style of classic tactical games from the 90s and early 00s. We've mixed unit-based tactical combat, overworld territory management, a rich story-driven campaign in a unique fantasy world, and a free play mode.

The story follows Saaga, the leader of a backwater kingdom on the edge of Tamira, disillusioned with her place in a world of people governed by the whims of bored gods and greedy lords. But when a general from the mainland comes to her begging for help, a chain of events is set off leading her on a path of war and diplomacy to create the greatest empire the world has ever seen.

This is the first full game from Dead Genre Studios, a Vancouver-based indie team founded in 2017.

Features

• Quick time event combat
  • 3 base unit types with combat advantages and weaknesses
  • 12 different factions, each with its own special unit
  • A large world with 55 distinct maps
  • Territory and unit management
  • A diverse cast of heroes, villains, and everything in between
  • A world rich in flavour and lore
  • A unique soundtrack blending acoustic instruments with retro chiptunes

Units

All unit classes follow a basic advantage system. Many special units have the ability to overcome these advantages.

• Archer-type Units Beat Infantry
  • Infantry-type Units Beat Cavalry
  • Cavalry-type Units Beat Archers
Each faction can recruit their own special units with unique abilities.

How to Play

From the campaign map, you can select your territories to either command the armies on them or to upgrade and create various buildings used for producing gold and units. Upgrading financial buildings increases their gold yield, and upgrading military buildings increases the starting level of units produced with that building. Each faction has its own special building which, in addition to producing gold, can produce a unique special unit with varying abilities.
When commanding your army to march on a territory you do not own, you will seize control if it is undefended or engage in a fierce battle with the defending army. In the battle map, you will prepare your units by strategically placing them on your side of the map. When both players are ready, you will take turns maneuvering the battlefield to eliminate all enemy units.

A gameplay video by Xenoflux Raiden:

More information.

Thanks for the quote, I had forgot I had bought this, it was lost in abysses of my steam library.

Installing, going to be my next casual play, at least for few hours.

EDIT: RPGWatch should have a similar feature than Steam shop, not to make you buy games, but tempt you to play games you have already.

Quick time events as part of combat? Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy at all, but I'll keep reading feedback and see if there's more to it.

Quick time events as part of combat? Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy at all, but I'll keep reading feedback and see if there's more to it.
I don't think I knew that when I bought it lol, but after close to 1 or 2H of play, it's not a problem for me. EDIT: But there's an option to replace it with pure auto RNG.

When you attack or can counter attack a bar appears, after a short time it starts fill, you need click to stop it before it goes over the max. Over the max is minimal damages, close to max is higher damages, it can even generate a crit. It replaces RNG for the player, it's transparent for enemies, just RNG.

In short and from a short play it's a sort of Risk but with a campaign and a story, very simplified units and buildings management, and turn based combats.

The combats are rock/paper/scissor but there are also special units as healer or archer on horse, and heroes that are unique. there's probably around 20 types of units end game, plus heroes. Terrains play a role, obstacles for movements, or for LOS, it's a cool part because detailed.

It's move and attack, a few units can move, attack and move with the move points left. For any action a unit get XP, even when being hit. And they level up which is just HP and damages increase depending of unit. Unit death is permanent, but one hero death is end game.

For sure on this base it's simple and fast combats, but not that simple, avoid any lost is hard for me, it's more about minimizing them, or not lost this or that unit. I didn't bother tried the highest difficulty, only Normal. And I have played much the game yet.

For global management, there's two phases, the first is perhaps like a tutorial:
- At first you just build units, move units, eventually build some stuff, attack a region, make a combat it's next turn. During this phase it's simplified, there's no turns, the turn ends when you finish a combat, and you are never attacked.
- After there's the second phase probably up to end, with turns, then each building can build only one unit, a unit can move/attack once and only to a region close, each unit has a turn cost, some buildings has a turn income. You can build 4 fixed buildings in each region, and upgrade the buildings. Enemies can attack during their turn.

It's just a sympathetic time killer, for short play session and quick combats, plus a simple global management, more or less risk like.

Last edited:
I quoted there's a game option to replace it with automatic RNG. Well for now I keep the hit bar adding a bit of tension (take more or less risk, plus the miss clicks and failed hits, lol). But the RNG option is cool.

Back
Top Bottom