InXile Entertainment - The Story Behind InXile

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN talked to Brian Fargo about how he survived in the industry to eventually revive the RPG.

Game development teams are often thrown together hurriedly around a new contract, but inXile started slowly. Fargo picked staffers he knew and trusted. Findley was one. Another was Maxx Kauffman, who he had seen do great work on Redneck Rampage.

"I brought them together," Fargo says. "But then it became, ‘OK, what are we going to do here?'. And this struggle to find a business model took nearly a decade."

That jokey card title was proving prophetic. In 2002, the ground was shifting beneath the feet of RPG developers. There was very little publisher interest in PC games. With Steam still years off, the digital sales business did not exist. And those contracts that did exist were mostly reserved for studios that were already well-established.

Fargo kept the lights on by "hustling around." He attempted, without success, to win the Baldur's Gate 3 license from Infogrames. He sold the Wizardry franchise off to Japan, where it continues to this day. For a short while, Fargo and a friend co-owned half the rights to GTA for Game Boy.

"We both did very well by selling it back to Take-Two," he says.

[…]
More information.

Cool article. I'm a big Brian Fargo/InXile fan. He seems like a really smart guy. I think InXile's latest batch of RPGs are also the most old-school of the recent Kickstarter bunch. Not in a dated way but in a "this can still be recognized as a hardcore CRPG" way.

Looking forward to Bard's Tale IV!

It's a shame Fargo's retiring after WL3, I know he's made some blunders but in my opinion inXile are right up there with Larian and Obsidian as my favourite developers. Hopefully they'll keep steaming even without Fargo though.

Damn you fargo for selling WIzardry ! ;d

I wish that some Japanese developers would sell their franchise into South America. :p

Where the franchise's games would exclusively be developed in Portuguese or Spanish languages. :p

It's a shame Fargo's retiring after WL3

It's not a shame. Part of being good in something is knowing when to retire. Which was apparently due before ToN.

He should write a guide book -- The complete idiots guide to game publishing. It sounds like there's a few publishers who could learn a thing or two.

It's not a shame. Part of being good in something is knowing when to retire. Which was apparently due before ToN.

I happened to enjoy ToN, although the blunders I was referring to did indeed involve that game to a large extent. I'm hoping BT4 and WL3 will be successful enough for him to leave with a smile though.

Back
Top Bottom