RPGWatch Feature - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Maylander checked out Pillars of Eternity II to determine how good the game is, but also if it is better than its predecessor.

In 2012, Obsidian Entertainment announced that they were working on a game similar to the Baldur's Gate games. Fans were hyped, and the following Kickstarter campaign became the most successful campaign in video game history by obtaining roughly $4 million in funding. Three years later, Pillars of Eternity was released to critical acclaim, including in our own review by Corwin.

What's strange about Pillars of Eternity is that, while the reception, reviews and ratings were good at the time, it's still considered "good, but not great" by a lot of people, especially if played without the two DLCs, The White March part 1 and 2. This led to a mediocre reception when Pillars of Eternity 2 was announced, and the expectations weren't all that great ahead of this year's release.

They probably should have been though, as Pillars of Eternity 2 is flat out better than its predecessor in pretty much every way. After two decent attempts, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny, it's fair to say that Obsidian Entertainment has gained considerable experience in how to make isometric, party based RPG's with the Unity engine. It shows.
More information.

Thanks Maylander.

Excellent review as always!

Personally, I would add the significant con of the game being too easy - even on the higher difficulty levels - and I happen to enjoy the ship combat, which I find a charming and pleasant diversion, when combined with the ship upgrades and crew managment.

Other than that, though - I agree with everything you said.

Oh, and I would also perhaps have mentioned the delightful AI weapons ;)

Thanks for the excellent review, @Maylander; !

Very happy to hear Deadfire is less depressing place than Dyrwood.

Sounds like I will definitely pick this up once all DLCs are out… Although I still might hold out for a hefty discount ;)

Superb review as usual. I'd add originality lacking or being underused among cons, but okay, it was not supposed to be a game of the decade anyway.

In other words, Eternity2 in a nutshell IMO is this:

Good review. I relate, because I was disappointed by the first game and was skeptical about buying this one as well. Fortunately it exceeded my every expectation.

It's simply a better game than Pillars of Eternity 1 in every way, so it is obviously recommended to anyone who enjoyed the original.

Ironically, it's the people that thought the first game was a masterpiece that are being most negative about the sequel.

Say what? Who thought the first game is a masterpiece?

Thanks for the review, Maylander.
Haven't played this one yet, but looking to start it as soon as I wrap up my (slow) PoE 1 playthrough.

I was never interested in playing Poe 1 so wasn't going to try 2 either, but Maylanders great review has changed that. I will be picking this up soon to play further down the road. Thanks Maylander.

My humble opinion is PoE was a decent game with faults, but Obsidian fixed a lot of the problems with PoE 2. It's a shame about games sales though it seems to be a success.

Also great job on another review Maylandeer.:beer:

I had the same experience with POE and Divinity: Original Sin.
I got bored by the first ones when I reached the middle of the game, but both "II" I just loved.

Thanks Maylander!

I will get this once the GotY-Edition is out. After PoE was a bit disappointing mechanics-wise I'm in no hurry for more muscle wizards.
I'm giddy about Kingmaker, though.

I quite enjoyed the first Pillars of Eternity, so I'm fully expecting to fall in love with the second. Of course, should the Divinity: Original Sin curse strike, then I'll be all woeful and whatnot. =xxx

Superb review as usual. I'd add originality lacking or being underused among cons, but okay, it was not supposed to be a game of the decade anyway.

In other words, Eternity2 in a nutshell IMO is this:

That joke never gets old.

Still waiting for more patches, updates and the DLC. Played several hours and liked what I saw. But I have erratic performance and at least one quest that was bugged and un-finishable.

Next year for me.

Thanks Maylander. Good review.
Adding to wishlist. PoE was kind of dissapointing. Not bad, but not great either. Expectations etc.
Still to play Tyranny, as slowly going through T.ToN atm.

Back
Top Bottom