Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Review @ PC Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Age of Wonders: Planetfall has been released today - PC Gamer reviewed the strategy game:

Age of Wonders: Planetfall review

Age of Wonders: Planetfall injects fast-paced, tactical fun into the 4X's aging conquest model.

Revenge is a dish best served cold, the ancient Klingon saying goes, and nobody knows this better than penguins. Having made the interstellar journey to this dusty backwater planet alongside my rugged band of frontier fighters, the penguins quickly proved themselves admirable fighters in our war against the vicious psychic bugs who had showed up first. As my troopers fell prey to the insects' virulent battle vomit, the 10-foot penguins swooped in to tear the bugs apart with trisected beaks.
[...]
My complaints, though, are minor. Age of Wonders: Planetfall offers not only a welcome change of scenery from the fantasy landscapes of its forebears, it manages to use its sci-fi setting imaginatively and meaningfully. With a fun story campaign and highly granular customization options for one-off scenarios, there's plenty here into which to sink your teeth--or chittering mandibles, as the case may be.

Score: 85/100 - Age of Wonders: Planetfall, while a bit opaque in some areas, is the most entertaining 4X I've played in years.
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Funny scoring considering the verdict (if I compare how they score some other games) but a good review that certainly makes me want to buy the game.

Requires 3rd-Party Account: Paradox Account (for Multi-player) (Supports Linking to Steam Account)
Content For This GameBrowse all (2)
12,99€
Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe Edition Content Pack
39,99€
Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season Pass

Oddly, PCGamer ignored both things.
If I reviewed it, I'd call it a worthless garbage with integrated scams.

4X + XCOM?? Day 1 wishlist for me!

4x parts seem to be more like Endless Legend than AoW3.. and if combat is more like Xcom now, that is a big departure from AoW3 as well.
Fans of their previous games are not going to like such radical changes.

4x parts seem to be more like Endless Legend than AoW3.. and if combat is more like Xcom now, that is a big departure from AoW3 as well.

Well, I'm a fan of all of the above so no problems there. If the 4x parts are closer to EL then that's a pro in my book, I always thought that was the weakest part of AoW while I enjoy the combat and unit diversity.

EDIT: I now got a key to the game, my brother recently started working for Paradox and thought the game was more to my tastes than his. Will hopefully get time to try it out later today.

When you have a chance to play update this thread with your thoughts ;)

Oh and it would be a bonus if your brother could sprinkle a few of those keys around here ;)

Well, I'm a fan of all of the above so no problems there. If the 4x parts are closer to EL then that's a pro in my book, I always thought that was the weakest part of AoW while I enjoy the combat and unit diversity.

EDIT: I now got a key to the game, my brother recently started working for Paradox and thought the game was more to my tastes than his. Will hopefully get time to try it out later today.

I had actually forgotten that this was right around the corner. The campaign sounds like it would hit the spot for me. I'll likely skip the rest of it (scenarios etc).

I've only played for an hour or two, and much of that time is spent just trying to come to grips with all the different systems and mechanics. I certainly like what I'm seeing so far though, and having read both some positive and some negative reviews I'm leaning towards the positive ones being true for me (like this PC gamer one which I so far agree with).

One of the negative reviews mentioned a lot about not understanding certain mechanics and the fact that beginners wouldn't be able to find the victory conditions or change the priorities in colonies etc. Either that guy played an earlier version that lacked the tooltips and tutorial of the release version, or he's an idiot. The tutorial and the following campaign mission does a great job of delivering the mechanics one by one until you grasp the most of it. But I guess if you think you're a pro from the start and just skip by that part you'll be somewhat confused.

What your brother do for them?
Would you be able to provide some keys for future RPGWatch giveaways?

I look forward to your next impressions from playing. :)

What your brother do for them?
Would you be able to provide some keys for future RPGWatch giveaways?

I look forward to your next impressions from playing. :)

Haha, I actually thought about asking him, but he works in marketing so I don't think he gets those kind of perks, probably just a personal copy of some of the games they release which in this case he gave to me. He loves his new workplace though, surrounded by total nerds with no suits in sight, according to him the Paradox main office feels pretty much like you WANT an office for a company making computer games to feel.

I love it when people try to speak for others. I'd say you are very wrong, given what I am hearing from fans of the AOW series. In fact, I have yet to hear of anyone who doesn't like in my group of friends, and that's a not insignificant number.

Update Update we want an Update !!!

I've only played for an hour or two, and much of that time is spent just trying to come to grips with all the different systems and mechanics. I certainly like what I'm seeing so far though, and having read both some positive and some negative reviews I'm leaning towards the positive ones being true for me (like this PC gamer one which I so far agree with).

Back
Top Bottom