Fallout 2 - Restoration Project 2.2

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
No Mutants Allowed has news that the Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.2 is now available for download.

This is it, the big one. After 3 years of intense work, killap the Bear Dude has released the final version of the Restoration Project, bringing Fallout 2 closer to the original vision by reimplementing scores of features that did not make the cut all the way back in 1998. However, don't take it from us, listen to the Bear Dude himself:

"Now come 2013, RP 2.2 is being released. I believe that this version is what I had always envisioned the Restoration Project would become. If you were put off by older RP releases, please give it a try again. I think you'll be pleased. If you've been waiting 6 years to play the RP, well, now is your chance. And if you've already played it dozens of times before, rest assured there is new content for you to experience. Smile

Is this the end of Bear Dude's Fallout modding adventure? To me it is, but I've already said this before and I'll admit that anytime I see a bug reported for something I've worked on, I get the urge to squash it. So expect at least one more minor update down the road, especially since at the very least a Russian translation is in the works. But do know, that to me, I'm done.

Was all this worth the many, many thousands of hours I put in over the years to fix vanilla bugs and add new content? I think so. I had fun doing it and really, I just wanted others to get even more enjoyment out of a game they loved. I also like to think that in some way I inspired others to do modding of their own and to realize that just because a game is old it doesn't mean it has to be abandoned."Eager to try it out? Here are the links:

Windows installer (recommended)
Manual install (advanced users): download
More information.

Congratulations from me, too.
Fixing old games over so many years - just cool.

PS:
Drithius was first, see under General RPG :)

Thank you for the heads up on this one. Good post.

I can still remember my first playthrough of Fallout 2 - it wasn't vanilla strangely enough, but with an earlier version of Killap's good work installed.

I guess I need to play this, then….
So I see you haven't played it yet. Didn't we already talk about this mister. No excuses.:shakefist:

Pfft… he still hasn't played Gothic 2+NotR either. ;)

Talk about mandatory gaming…

IIRC, you haven't played Skyrim ;)

As much as you might disagree with me here and there, you should at least be somewhat curious about why I'm calling it the best PC game overall.

Certainly if you mod it up some…

Eh? A lot of people haven't played Skyrim yet. It's still fairly recent by comparison.

I was content to wait for the final bundled product first. I'll be playing it soon enough though. :)

Oh, and I have "played" it... just not enough to really say I've played it. ;)

Eh? A lot of people haven't played Skyrim yet. It's still fairly recent by comparison.

I was content to wait for the final bundled product first. I'll be playing it soon enough though. :)

I'm not talking about the age of the game.

I'm simply talking about mandatory gaming ;)

Let me know what you think of it - though it can't possibly outshine the Gothics for you.

I'll never play this.
Somehow I was too attached to disappearing car trunk and this probably fixes that issue.
I do respect the work however.

But since Unity moved to version 4.2 got some new features (for free, yup) I won't be surprised if someone revamps pre-Bethesda FO games in it. Why not in Zenimax engine(s)? Because there is no way to completely stop respawns in that engine, because there is never fixed books/corpses dancing/stutter bug and because in it there is no way to perform turnbased combat!

I have played FO 2 to such an extent that I know pretty much by heart. I used the patch before and it is a must.

I've read through Killap's post and I find it fascinating how someone can enjoy this so much. Maybe it's because I can't even imagine how you'd go about modding such an old game. Much respect to Killap.

Disappearing car trunk was fixed by the official Interplay patch long ago. Everyone needs to play this game.

They say so yes. In my case, the patch wasn't working. Everything was fixed as stated except that. :)

Back
Top Bottom