Legend of Grimrock - Sequel Announced

aries100

SasqWatch
The team behind Legend of Grimrock has announced that they're making a sequel to the
first game called - Legend of Grimrock 2.

Here's a bit from the announcement on their website:
Secondly, and this is a biggie (probably more to ourselves than you!), we are now officially working on... Legend of Grimrock 2! Creating a mere DLC or expansion to Grimrock simply would not have felt right. As today's meeting proved, we still have a lot of ideas we'd like to explore, lots and lots of new content already done (originally made for a DLC/expansion) and a big engine update in the works.
Thanks RPGCodex :)

More information.

Hehe, lately I come to post something just to discover it's already posted.

Preorder address please!

Wouldn't mind them taking the route Dungeon Master II or Eye of the Beholder II did with a dungeon that is more of an actual "place" where you move up or down.

Think the game needs a bit more characterization and story, more of a feeling that you are in a world rather than a linear passage. Plus, the combat could be a bit less twitchy, especially casting spells. Expect it will be more of the same though.

Looking forward to the sequel. I really enjoyed the first and some of the user created levels were pretty good too.

My primary wish for the follow up would be a magic system that wouldn't require so many clicks to cast a spell. Using the runes was a neat idea, but having to select multiple runes then cast made the magic user the slowest in combat.

If they make it more about exploration and less about samey jumping/timing puzzles - I'll probably pick it up.

But, I have no interest in yet another fantasy Portal game.

What would be really cool is if they made a sci-fi game in this style, ala Xenomorph or Captive.

THAT I could get behind!

Yes i think they explored everything there is about a pure dungeon crawler with the first game. So i hope they build on that and this time include a story, npcs, overworld and more in that direction. And please work on the magic system, while i love the dungeonmaster vibe, there would be so much more possibilities and ideas today to do combat: mouse gestures, to actually "swing" at monsters, or drawing runes like in "arx fatalis". The best solution to make combat more strategic would be to go turn based, of course. Even if its optional. ;)

I don't think they should deviate from the first game that much. Remember, this is an indie developer with only 4 core members. I'm all for expanding the character and magic systems and the puzzles, but I think they should keep it a dungeon crawler.

At least it should be more like Eye of the Beholder than Dungeon Master. If Lands of Lore is out of reach.
Regarding the four core members: Maybe they got so much money from their first game to hire some more people.

I agree with Vidder here they should go more ambitious for this game after half millions sold copies they got more than enough resources for it.I think they should try to build their own system instead of trying to copy one from games they used as inspiration.Also better variety of puzzles I would prefer more complex,multi level puzzles.

The first one was boring enough to me. They should definitely expand it with cities, overworld, and other places to explore. And please, no more portals!

It will be a must buy, if they manage to create a solid story and more npc interaction.

And improving the battle system. Am i asking to much?

More ambitious doesn't mean better. They can add an overworld, and then people will simply claim they're copying M&M instead of EotB, etc.

I don't really want to see these guys get too big. Next thing you know they're getting bought up by a company like EA or Ubisoft.

Yes but how many dungeon crawlers can you play in a row without getting tired of them?

First was well received because it was the exception in nowadays market, but second won't. I bought the first and got tired after the 4 or 5 first levels probably because I didn't like the real time combat and the number riddles were over the top. But in any case I wouldn't be interested in a second one of the same, that's for sure.

The game concept is quite limited.

First was well received because it was the exception in nowadays market, but second won't.

Is that a fact or is that your opinion? ;)

I bought the first and got tired after the 4 or 5 first levels probably because I didn't like the real time combat and the number riddles were over the top. But in any case I wouldn't be interested in a second one of the same, that's for sure.

I don't expect they'll please everyone.

Yes but how many dungeon crawlers can you play in a row without getting tired of them?

First was well received because it was the exception in nowadays market, but second won't. I bought the first and got tired after the 4 or 5 first levels probably because I didn't like the real time combat and the number riddles were over the top. But in any case I wouldn't be interested in a second one of the same, that's for sure.

The game concept is quite limited.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Back
Top Bottom