Best rpg for iphone?

Gragnak

Black Knight
Hi everybody,
I searched the forum for some info but couldn't find any.
I recently bought an iPhone 4 and I'm looking for a good rpg game.
I'm enjoying Undercroft for now.

Do you know if there's something similar to old time, stats heavy, rpgs for this device?

This site might be helpful:
http://www.rpg-site.com/

If you like undercroft, you might also enjoy The "Quest" series.
Rimelands was also OK, but writing and repetitiveness of the (otherwise nice, dice-based) combat, brought it down some.

I second The Quest.

The Gold Edition has most of the expansions, IIRC - and it's pretty cheap.

It's very much like a mix of Wizardry 7 and Eye of the Beholder.

It's also a HUGE game.

What it's not, however, is a game with fancy graphics - as it was originally developed for much more primitive platforms.

AFAIK, there aren't any truly large and interesting CRPG on the platform - but that's my opinion.

Undercroft is great, but it's pretty hack/slash - and the others I've tried are fairly shallow and short. Dungeon Hunter 2 is a cute little Diablo 2 wannabe - but it can't approach a good PC game, and not even an old one.

Aralon (I think it's called) is an Oblivion-light thingy - and I personally found it very shallow and dull - but it does some impressive things in terms of the technology.

Beyond that, I've tried a couple of the Rogue-likes and they were ok. But I'd prefer to play something like that on PC with a decent interface, but to each his own.

The Quest was the best I've played, but the game will totally kick thy arse backwards and forwards at first. That was my experience anyways, maybe I was just terrible at it.

Although a bit silly I liked Arvale, but I cannot find it in appstore.

I wish they would port Legacy for iPhone. My Pocket PC seem to have died. :(
It's made by the same team that made The Quest, but it's a party RPG. Similar to, but better than Undercroft.
http://www.redshift.hu

Some suggestions:
  • Final Fantasy III is probably your best bet if you don't hate JRPG, I think it's a port from PSP version. The price is quite higher than usual for iphone but well, I doubt any even reach its overall quality.
  • Undercroft is a fairly good pick. It isn't Hack&Slash it has more exploration tricks and puzzles than other, and there's a little story, quests, NPC, little dialogs. I don't like The Quest so I can't compare well but I don't see why the Quest would be less Hack&Slash.
  • Doom 2 RPG : Another fairly good pick. It is turn based, dungeon based, fights more tactical than it seems, a good exploration level with fairly good secrets, resource management to not lack of ammo and health pack. And the surprise is the story development, well done and constantly present. And a nice mood.

A special selection, quite less classical:
  • Puzzle Quest 2 : A bit more a RPG than PQ1, but not really a RPG. Fights are more deep. Special but quite good, you'll need enjoy the special category of Puzzle RPG.
  • Tactical Soldier - Undead Rising : It's at limit of RPG, a bit more a tactical RPG. But it has an interesting mood and story progression (no the story itself is common it's how it is setup that is well done). Imagine a mix of Doom and Resident Evil fully turn based with nice tactical fights and a small team of soldiers. It's relatively short, not perfect, but it's a quite interesting experience.
  • Knights of the Phantom Castle : The base idea would be a game like Syndicate but not at all the mood. The levels are more on progression than on exploration like it was in Syndicate. The background is Fantasy, the story telling is much less polished and developed than it was in Syndicate. But one bast of tiny RTS where you control 1 to 4 characters, there's really a strange RPG, the way the story is told is strange, through soldier reports, some levels have a reall RPG mood with progression through some tricks and traps, there's a craft system, and you select among 6 classes in a roster. But the core is the action. Really great but a long learning curve of controls, and a too difficult game. I never finished it, but spend great time with it.
  • Battleheart : Caution, no real story, no exploration, you progress in a campaign through a series of fights, there are some branches so you can choose some fights. Between each fight you can buy and sell items, change selection among a roster, change equipement, and change spells or talents selected for each character. You manage 4 characters during the fights, the base is quite cloned from MMO ie agro, dps, support, damage dealer, tank. But by diguing it it has a surprising action depth. Very special but interesting.
  • Wild Frontier : It's one of plenty of the Korean RPG ported, I pick this one because its story approach is special. It's not about becoming a hero but just about becoming an adventurer. I haven't played a lot of it, but firs parts are nice. It's not a really good RPG but the approach change is quite pleasant.
  • Rimelands Hammer of Thor : A very simple RPG, definitely a casual RPG, something that seems contradictory. But it's well done and the fight system, turn based with dice is a nice innovation and the best is the difficulty setup is very well tuned. So the fights end be very interesting.
  • Queen's Crown : Another not really good RPG similar to the plenty Korean RPG, but the writing is quite above the average, nice sense of humor.
  • And if you are a fan of Diablo like games, not amazing but worth the try, there's two: Dungeon Hunter 2 and Underworlds.

I echo most thoughts here. Also just grabbed Tactical Soldier - Undead Rising, not much time yet. Didn't like Knights of the Phantom Castle very much.

There is also Dungeon Defenders and Braveheart.

And like DArtagnan, don't expect something to rival the classics ... yet.

No excuse not grabbing Undercroft for anyone really since it's free.

Wolfenstein RPG is in the same vein as DOOM 2 RPG. I loved DOOM RPG and DOOM 2 RPG is definitely an improved version.

Also available for the iPhone and as good as ever: nethack!

Also,

Eternal Legacy is Gameloft's Final Fantasy XIII rip-off, Sacred Odyssey is Gameloft's Zelda rip-off, and Chaos Rings is Square Enix's iPhone exclusive JRPG. All three are pretty interesting, depending on what your tastes are. Note: Gameloft games, while high-quality, are usually pretty devoid of actual heart, according to a lot of people.

Hello, fellow RPGWatch people,
I don't quite know why it hasn't been mentioned yet, probably because it is not very popular or is not really your typical RPG, but for me it has always been Gamebook Adventures serie. Really well done and highly recommended.

Begun to play Battleheart recently. Like Dasale mentions it have no real story. It's a tactical RPG where you recruit heroes and go on battle. It's really fun though.

Also,

Eternal Legacy is Gameloft's Final Fantasy XIII rip-off, Sacred Odyssey is Gameloft's Zelda rip-off, and Chaos Rings is Square Enix's iPhone exclusive JRPG. All three are pretty interesting, depending on what your tastes are. Note: Gameloft games, while high-quality, are usually pretty devoid of actual heart, according to a lot of people.

Saying Gameloft and clone in the same sentence is redundant ... Their games are decent but basically shallow copies of other stuff ...

Saying Gameloft and clone in the same sentence is redundant … Their games are decent but basically shallow copies of other stuff …

Could we replace the word "Gameloft" with "Smartphone games"? ;)

Ahhh, ok - there are a few exceptions.

Could we replace the word "Gameloft" with "Smartphone games"? ;)

Ahhh, ok - there are a few exceptions.

:D So true ...

Yeah, in general you are correct - most decent stuff is either a clone or a port. But Gameloft is so egregious about it ... they really deserve their own category!

:D So true …

Yeah, in general you are correct - most decent stuff is either a clone or a port. But Gameloft is so egregious about it … they really deserve their own category!

Could be you're right :)

I actually thought Dungeon Hunter 2 was kinda entertaining for about an hour!

I actually bought Dungeon Hunter: Alliance for PS3 since it appears to offer a 4-player Diablo-like experience.

I actually bought Dungeon Hunter: Alliance for PS3 since it appears to offer a 4-player Diablo-like experience.

Would love to hear how it compares to Baldur's Gate: DA and Diablo 2. Been waiting for a coop game in this style to play with my GF - for what seems like forever.

Absolutely loved BG and its sequel.

Would love to hear how it compares to Baldur's Gate: DA and Diablo 2. Been waiting for a coop game in this style to play with my GF - for what seems like forever. Absolutely loved BG and its sequel.

I know. I started a thread about couch co-op. We are usually three-four guys so I look for titles that supports 3+.

Would love to hear how it compares to Baldur's Gate: DA and Diablo 2. Been waiting for a coop game in this style to play with my GF - for what seems like forever.

Absolutely loved BG and its sequel.

Wow, Dark Alliance, isn't that a little too shallow for you? ;) I played it for a while by myself, though. Fun, but I bet it's ten times more fun co-op.

That said, I just learned about Dead Island, an open-world zombie game located on a paradise island with 4-player co-op, focussed on melee combat. WTF!! WANT NOW!

Back
Top Bottom