RPGWatch Forums
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 Last »

RPGWatch Forums (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/index.php)
-   Baldur's Gate III (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Baldur's Gate 3 Random News (https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45360)

JDR13 August 19th, 2020 02:32

Oh no! Someone dared to voice an opinion that didn't sound like a gushing fanboy!

Old Grognard August 19th, 2020 02:39

He can voice whatever opinion he wants to. It's a public forum.

Anyway a re-post from the other thread.:)

The system requirements were shared today.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1…aldurs_Gate_3/
Quote:

Minimum

Processor: Intel i5-4690 / AMD FX 4350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 / AMD Radeon R9 280X
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 70 GB available space

Recommended

Processor: Intel i7 4770k / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / AMD RX580
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 70 GB available space
Also here is the usual Early Access FAQ.

Spoiler – Early Access FAQ

Old Grognard August 19th, 2020 02:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 1061612627)
Ha ha awesome thanks!
What the hell, reckon I'll give this a go.

Yep first time I've seen an Early Access game on the Stadia service. There are a few articles released today about how this game is supposed to save that service. We'll see.

As Stadia suffered a bunch of bad press this year.

Link - https://gizmodo.com/stadias-success-…n-b-1844766785

JFarrell71 August 19th, 2020 02:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDR13 (Post 1061612653)
Oh no! Someone dared to voice an opinion that didn't sound like a gushing fanboy!

Demanding that a fantasy game cling tightly to his personal defintion of what's allowed in the setting pretty much defines fanboy.

Drithius August 19th, 2020 03:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFarrell71 (Post 1061612658)
Demanding that a fantasy game cling tightly to his personal defintion of what's allowed in the setting pretty much defines fanboy.

You're a tool. Noone was "demanding" anything. I was stating that they have an uphill battle when it comes to lore continuation since that trailer makes no sense in the Forgotten Realms. But you're just so ravenous with hype that you took it as an offense. Plenty of things to go nuts over in the world these days - a game ain't one.

JFarrell71 August 19th, 2020 03:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drithius (Post 1061612660)
You're a tool. Noone was "demanding" anything. I was stating that they have an uphill battle when it comes to lore continuation since that trailer makes no sense in the Forgotten Realms. But you're just so ravenous with hype that you took it as an offense. Plenty of things to go nuts over in the world these days - a game ain't one.

Edit: deleted my original reply. It's not worth going onward with this. I hope we both get what we want. (btw, I'm not "ravenous" for it; I'm not sure I'll even buy it this year)

Drithius August 19th, 2020 04:07

https://media1.giphy.com/media/3o6Zt…a&rid=200.webp

henriquejr August 19th, 2020 06:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Grognard (Post 1061612654)
What is the current state of the Early Access version?

The Early Access version of Baldur’s Gate 3 includes Act 1 of the game which, in one playthrough, is approximately 25 hours of self-contained content. 6 player classes are supported and XXX races/subraces with more to be added later.

What? They'll be adding 30 races/subraces later??? :P :P :P

Nereida August 19th, 2020 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drithius (Post 1061612660)

I'm genuinely interested on what gives you the entitlement to decide what makes sense in the Forgotten Realms, other than your narrow thinking - especially since Larian is working closely (and sometimes feels, under a leash) with WotC, and the canon adventures are all quite epic and fantabulous in their nature. Again, in BG1 itself you play the son of a god that would ascend to godhood by level 7, when any normal character would be struggling to defeat a band of kobolds to earn their day's keep.

Just cut the shit and of course, share your opinion, but please don't dictate what's the FR lore or what makes sense for it since you have absolutely no clue, all you have is doubt/skepticism/animosity towards Larian/BG3 and it seeps too obviously out of your uninformed comments.

Pongo August 19th, 2020 14:20

I hope the epic plot still leaves scope for classic low level D&D adventuring, at least in the early parts of the game. I don't like it when the epic tap gets turned on too early. We shall see!

Nereida August 19th, 2020 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 1061612692)
I hope the epic plot still leaves scope for classic low level D&D adventuring, at least in the early parts of the game. I don't like it when the epic tap gets turned on too early. We shall see!

It's usually like that. You're surrounded by epic events, but your party faces all mundane problems. I personally don't enjoy DnD at very high levels, magic and powers get out of proportion, and players get access to trump cards that win every encounter without much thought or consideration, and that's when DnD is at its worst, because you stop feeling the need to be creative to get through the challenges that you find.

Old Grognard August 19th, 2020 19:21

Seems a few people are mad at larian for the spoilers.:biggrin:

Warning: For a potty mouth you were warned.

loading…
Quote:

Larian Studios comes out and announces Baldur's Gate III Early Access date however in the first moments of the live stream they go on for 5-10 minutes spoiling the story of most fo the first act! I definitely was not excepting this and wants the systems and basic overviews talked about. This was definitely not okay to Spoil!

Old Grognard August 19th, 2020 19:24

The full presentation with the O&A from Fextralife.

loading…
Quote:

Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Release Date, BG3 Gameplay, Size, Date and Interview with Swen Vincke! The Full Panel From Hell Livestream with Swen Vincke from Larian Studios. Discussing details about the upcoming Early Access, when it will be launching and how big it will be. He also joined us after the stream for an exclusive interview about the game!

BG3 Early Access Release Date Confirmed September 30th 2020
Will be 20 Hours!
Multiple scenarios, over 80 combat scenarios
We talk BG3 Itemization, Random or new Items to D&D, and more!

Couchpotato August 23rd, 2020 06:18

Baldur’s Gate III Interview on Evolving the Series - IGN
Quote:

“We want it to be the best game we've ever made, but we also want it to be the best Baldur's Gate game possible,” says Larian’s Senior Writer Adam Smith in a recent interview with IGN, explaining that to do so, the team is focused on not only modernizing Baldur’s Gate for new audiences, but pushing the boundaries current of RPGs as well, rather than just making another Baldur’s Gate with fancier graphics. “Baldur's Gate wouldn't have been the success that it was – critically, commercially, or in terms of reviving what a CRPG could be,” Smith says, “if it hadn't been looking forward. And so Baldur’s Gate 3 has to do the same.”

That doesn’t mean that Larian is just scrapping all of the lore established by Baldur’s Gate I & II, though. The team is looking at everything that happens up until the end of Baldur’s Gate 2 as canonical history. ”No one's ever going to know if you picked the pocket of that one innkeeper,” Smith laughs. “But everything that happened, happened.”

The city's changed, Smith continues, and they’ve had fun looking at what would have happened, politically or socially, in the gap between games. “So we look at all of that, but [the gap between games] is enough time to give us a clean slate for new characters. Although some of them have long memories, as well,” he adds, wryly.

Pongo August 23rd, 2020 10:14

The team is looking at everything that happens up until the end of Baldur’s Gate 2 as canonical history. ”No one's ever going to know if you picked the pocket of that one innkeeper,” Smith laughs. “But everything that happened, happened.”

Have they said if you can import any world states from previous games - even if just the name of the Bhaalspawn, final decision about the throne, companion fates etc? They seem to be hinting at that.

JDR13 August 23rd, 2020 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 1061613106)
Have they said if you can import any world states from previous games - even if just the name of the Bhaalspawn, final decision about the throne, companion fates etc? They seem to be hinting at that.

That would be cool, but I don't see it happening. They'd have to code a program just to read IE save states and include it in BG3.

My guess is that things from the original trilogy will be mentioned but ambiguously enough to not imply specific outcomes.

Pongo August 23rd, 2020 11:10

Yeah you're probably right. The alternative to having BG3 read save states would be an optional section at the start where you could choose BG2 outcomes (I think Dragon Age 3 did this if I remember right, through an optional comic book style section, in that case presumably because parts one and two were on older console generations). But I think your guess is most likely correct.

JDR13 August 23rd, 2020 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 1061613108)
The alternative to having BG3 read save states would be an optional section at the start where you could choose BG2 outcomes.

Indeed, I hope they include something like that. It would be nice to have that feeling of continuity. I plan on replaying the BG trilogy prior to the release of BG3.

Couchpotato August 23rd, 2020 23:51

Baldur's Gate 3 - Official Intellect Devourer Gameplay Demo

loading…

Baldur's Gate 3 - Official Full Intro Cinematic

loading…

Baldur's Gate 3 Gets Early Access In September

loading…

Hastar August 24th, 2020 12:41

Githyanki have been riding red dragons for ages. That's been around for 20+ years. There has been modules where that's the main story line.

Couchpotato August 25th, 2020 17:19

Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #5 - Early Access
Quote:

Hello everyone! We hope you’ve recovered from the Panel From Hell. We have a huge, bumper community update for you today. We’re going to talk about Early Access at some length, so get a cup of something ready, and maybe a snack. Nestled in? Let’s go.

What is Early Access? What are your expectations? Everyone has a different answer to this, depending on the experience they’re looking for, or their objectives that lead them to shipping a game into Early Access. Regardless how you define it, buying an Early Access game needs to be an informed decision and today we come here to inform.

We’re going to cover a bunch of topics discussed on the 18th’s Panel From Hell, where Geoff, Swen, Adam and Chris talked in some depth about not just Early Access, but also Avernus, first of the nine hells and the setting of the game’s tutorial.

Couchpotato August 25th, 2020 21:34

Interview with Larian Studios on Baldur’s Gate 3 - Stadia
Quote:

This week, Larian Studios announced on their Panel from Hell livestream that Baldur’s Gate 3, the next-generation RPG set in the world of Dungeons & Dragons, is launching into Early Access on September 30th. Today, we’re diving deeper into an adventure that gives you unprecedented freedom to explore, experiment, and interact with a world that reacts to your choices.

We caught up with Kieron Kelly at Larian Studios to hear more about the Early Access release of Baldur’s Gate 3 on Stadia.

Couchpotato September 3rd, 2020 08:40

Some Twitter EA news. Can't embed them on this forum so sorry for the format.
Quote:

BG3 EA gonna launch with some funky Twitch integration that'll allow you to vote on certain things - bit like what we did in the Panel From Hell but all proper. We'll talk about it, and multiplayer, later. Bringing people together, one roll at a time.

Also, the price will be $59.99. Don't feel pressured to buy it during EA. It's not going to disappear, and neither are we. Eventually, it'll be a very large game. Though EA is 25 hours of one play-through, the final game will be *does brain math* a lot longer.

joxer September 3rd, 2020 11:22

Early Access RPG Sands of Salazar is getting english translation soon - Steam

Couchpotato September 3rd, 2020 11:30

Yeah wrong thread. Only Baldur's Gate 3 news is allowed.:p

joxer September 3rd, 2020 13:51

Sorry about that, hangover is killing me.
I thought I'm in your general RPG news thread. The post was supposed to be in there.

henriquejr September 4th, 2020 01:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couchpotato (Post 1061614200)
Yeah wrong thread. Only Baldur's Gate 3 news is allowed.:p

Ouch! :P :P :P

Couchpotato September 5th, 2020 01:27

Dropped Frames - Week 247 - Interview w/ Swen Vincke from Larian Studios

loading…
Quote:

This week JP, Cohh, and Zeke are joined by Founder and game director at Larian Studios: Swen Vincke! We ask him all manner of questions about him, Larian, the games he has worked on, and of course their upcoming game: Baldur's Gate 3!
This is why Baldur's Gate 3 will cost $60 on Early Access - PC Gamer
Quote:

While this is a $15 increase over Larian's last game, Douse tells me that it reflects the size of the game and the team that designed it. Everything's bigger.

"DOS2 was finished with a much smaller team," he says. "Larian is over double the amount of people now, compared to when DOS2 launched. And BG3 is a bigger, deeper game with far higher production values. So not only did we increase depth, but we actually increased production values alongside it."

$60 for a new PC game is hardly uncommon, though in comparison to other Early Access games it is quite steep. Douse says he's seen very few complaints about paying $60 for a game that isn't finished yet, but he still worries about what he sees as a "perception problem" with Early Access. He argues that the $60 still nets Early Access players a full game when it's ready, and in the meantime the ability to play development builds and help shape the game adds additional value.

"It's better to think of Early Access as a playable preorder," he says. "Though of course it isn't exactly that. Its function is entirely to make the game better through pooling feedback and testing ideas, iterating directly with our audience."

Pongo September 5th, 2020 20:04

Have they said anything about physical editions? Is it all digital this time round?

Couchpotato September 5th, 2020 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 1061614435)
Have they said anything about physical editions? Is it all digital this time round?

Not on the PC but I'm sure the console version will a physical edition.

Couchpotato September 11th, 2020 07:08

Breaking down Multiplayer & Cinematics in Baldur's Gate 3

loading…
Quote:

Today we're breaking down our Early Access’ cinematic ambitions, and showing how we're introducing more interactivity through Twitch integration and Stadia Crowd Choice. A huge leap from Divinity: Original Sin’s rock-paper-scissors multiplayer interactions, Baldur’s Gate 3 features 1.5 million words, with fully cinematic dialogues.

Using a mix of performance capture, and bespoke adaptive cameras, the game is able to react to whoever you are, and whatever you do, both in multiplayer or single player. With the addition of streaming integration, even viewers who may not own the game now have a say in your journey. Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access launches on September 30th to Steam and Stadia.

Couchpotato September 23rd, 2020 19:45

The next community update was posted.

Community Update #7 - Romance & Companionship

loading…
Quote:

Tl:dr yes you can have sex in Baldur’s Gate 3.

Who you journey with is as important as the journey itself. It shapes you, as you shape each other. Baldur’s Gate 3 aims to take all that binds us together, and offer authentic, reactive relationships from the moment you meet, to whatever eventuality. The road least travelled is best travelled with friends. Each of your companions have their own personalities, goals, and motivations. Bound by the shared problem of an Illithid tadpole buried in their head, they will join your party but you’ll all have to put your differences aside if you want to survive. The exact relationship you have with your companions, already marred by differences, will be shaped by who you are, what you do, who you side with, and what you say in conversation with them. Experience it for yourself as you gather your party on October 6th when Baldur's Gate 3 launches Early Access to Steam and Stadia.

Couchpotato September 27th, 2020 20:00

Baldur's Gate 3 Class Guide - PC Gamer
Quote:

Baldur's Gate 3 is Larian's take on Dungeons & Dragons. It's the first Baldur's Gate game in more than 15 years, and both PC RPGs and tabletop ones have changed a lot since Baldur's Gate 2. Larian is using the 5th Edition of D&D, first released in 2014, but you should expect plenty of liberties in the adaptation from pen-and-paper to digital. Some things aren't changing, though—there are real dice rolls, and the character classes are straight out of D&D's rules. Here's what we know so far about the classes you'll be able to choose in Baldur's Gate 3 in Early Access.
Baldur's Gate 3's Playable Races - PC Gamer
Quote:

Few things are more important in Baldur's Gate 3 than the race you pick. While your class determines how you fight, your race determines how you fit into the various civilizations of the Forgotten Realms. It shapes so much about who you are, where you're from, and how others perceive you. And, just like in Dungeons and Dragons, your Baldur's Gate 3 race also grants you some nifty perks that'll give you an edge in your adventures. Elves, for example, have the perk Fey Ancestry that gives them extra defense against being charmed and are impervious to spells that might put them to sleep.

That's just one ability of one specific race, though. There are nine different Baldur's Gate 3 races to choose from so far—each having their own subraces that sometimes offer even more options to customize your character. And Larian has confirmed more will be added over time. It's a lot to take in, and with Baldur's Gate 3 hitting Early Access, it's worth spending some time familiarizing yourself with the different perks of each so you have a good idea of what kind of character to play. Here's a quick overview of the Baldur's Gate 3 races.

henriquejr September 27th, 2020 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couchpotato (Post 1061616384)
Baldur's Gate 3's Payable Races - PC Gamer

So the game is now Pay2Win ????? :P

Couchpotato September 30th, 2020 13:38

Baldur’s Gate 3: Mind Flayers Explained - The Gamer
Quote:

Baldur's Gate 3 is the first new entry in the series in almost twenty years, and its focus is shifting away from the Bhaalspawn Saga to a story about Mind Flayers invading the Forgotten Realms.

Mind Flayers are some of the most iconic and powerful villains in the Dungeons & Dragons franchise. Baldur's Gate 2 players have already tangled with Mind Flayers during the Underdark section of the game, and the fact that they have a starring role in the latest entry is a frightening thought. There are a lot of people who have been introduced to the tabletop version of Dungeons & Dragons over the past few years, but they might be lucky enough to have never fought a Mind Flayer. Those poor fools have no idea what they're getting into in Baldur's Gate 3, which is why TheGamer has created a helpful guide to the Mind Flayers and the best options for fighting them in Baldur's Gate 3.

Maylander September 30th, 2020 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couchpotato (Post 1061616384)
Baldur's Gate 3 Class Guide - PC Gamer Baldur's Gate 3's Playable Races - PC Gamer

Nice articles. The links are mixed up though. :)

Couchpotato September 30th, 2020 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maylander (Post 1061616559)
Nice articles. The links are mixed up though. :)

Yeah I made two mistakes posting those articles. I was tired and it takes a little effort to embed links. As the forum doesn't have an auto function. Only the news-bits do.:(

vanedor September 30th, 2020 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nereida (Post 1061612700)
It's usually like that. You're surrounded by epic events, but your party faces all mundane problems. I personally don't enjoy DnD at very high levels, magic and powers get out of proportion, and players get access to trump cards that win every encounter without much thought or consideration, and that's when DnD is at its worst, because you stop feeling the need to be creative to get through the challenges that you find.

Indeed.

One of things I liked, with the original games, is how they split the leveling 1 to 20 in two games instead of cramming it all in a single one. It makes it possible for the in-game worlds to be much more coherent.

Couchpotato October 3rd, 2020 12:31

Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #8 - Character Creation
Quote:

What defines you? Is it who you are, or the journey you’re on? In Baldur’s Gate 3, it’s both. Creating a character in Baldur’s Gate 3 isn’t the moment the world decides how to treat you, but it’s the very beginning of the shaping of your story. BG3 is a world with great player agency, and the most important character in that world is you. We’ve created not only a character customization system that allows that player agency to shine, but also a world that constantly reacts to how your character develops.

In BG3 you can start your journey by choosing your race, subrace, background and class. In certain cases you also get to choose a subclass, perhaps a deity. These choices will ripple out across the story, affecting how you roleplay throughout the game.

SpoonFULL October 3rd, 2020 12:43

What defines me is the worry that the game requires 150GB of disk space (as indicated on Steam)! Are they going to give a SSD with their game for free?