Ultima 6 Project - Beta 2 Released

magerette

Hedgewitch
Dark Savant writes in to let us know that the Ultima 6 Project has released their second Beta, and it's now available for download.
From the announcement:
It is with much pleasure that we announce the release of the Beta 2 Release of Team Archon's Ultima 6 Project, for Dungeon Siege 1 (PC and Mac). Some things to look forward to in this release:

• Many bug fixes have been implemented since the Milestone 8 (Beta 1) release
  • Weapon and armor restrictions have now been applied, by class
  • The entire world is complete, and ready for players to explore
  • All NPC's are in place, and all the quests have been implemented.
  • Those players with proclivities to the dark side can now follow an “evil path”.
  • Hydras are now in game, and should pose a nasty surprise to unwary travelers.
  • Additional enhancements have been made to the map and journal systems, and the Compendium is now nearly complete.
  • Minor performance improvements have been implemented.
It should be noted that anyone using a previous version will have to uninstall it prior to installing the Beta 2 Release, and start a new game.

While this is not the final release of the game, we feel that it is reasonably polished, enough for public consumption (read: scrutiny). We still expect that there will be some bugs, and are soliciting your help in finding them. If you find problems with the release, want to exchange play hints with other players, want to give us kudos, or (heaven forbid) want to tell us what you really think, join us at our forums. We have set up a special forum for the Beta 2 Release on the Project Britannia forums ( http://www.projectbritannia.com/index.php ).
Thanks, Dark Savant.
More information.

Does anyone know if this mod will work with Windows 7 32-bit?

Were there problems before?

I tried playing this with Windows 7 64-bit and had problems. Since then i've uninstalled 64-bit and installed 32 bit version of windows 7 but I haven't tried this mod yet.. just wondering if it works before I install it.

I actually can get the game working with Win 7 64bit. You could also try XP compatability mode which I'm told also works!!

Actually, I started a thread in the U6 forums about Win 7. It appears that Win 7's UAC likes to engage in something called "UAC virtualization". If a program like U6 likes to write user data to c:\program files (or the x86 folder in 64 bit) UAC will intercept and put it into a hidden folder called "virtualstore". The program should still be able to find it but unexpected behavior can crop up. For instance, if you need to change the ini or edit a save file, you'll find it inside the virtualstore directory tree and not the program files tree.

The gist is that Microsoft finally (and appropriately IMO) said that user data should NEVER be in c:\Program Files\. If you're familiar with Linux it's like keeping all the classes of folders separate like \bin\ and such.

Zephyr says he'll be working on that issue.

More info:

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/de...04/user-account-control-data-redirection.aspx

Where my stuff is:

C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Team Archon\U6 Project

note how "Program Files (x86)" structure is actually inside "Virtual Store"?

I would suggest using the below guide to change the security settings on your Dungeon Siege directory to have users have full control because otherwise the game could have problems.

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to...sions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

PS. I have several games that were having problems and after I changed the security settings the problems went away. Also like Bedwyr said don't install to the Program Files directory.

Back
Top Bottom