RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - Diablo 3 - Why Fallout 1 Could be succesfull Today @ Pixelitis
View Single Post

June 29th, 2012, 10:39
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
I have never, ever, ever felt that a cRPG offered the range of choices to roleplay a character with any fidelity worth talking about. At best, you get to play a character archetype, and occasionally choose dialogue that might approximate the character's outlook. Even then, that range of games is vanishingly small - Fallout 1,2, Arcanum, a handful of others.

Beyond that, we've ruled out many classic RPGs, action/RPGs, roguelikes, Grimrock, early Wizardry and Bard's Tale titles. I can't really separate titles like ToEE in practical terms, so I'm wondering if this is even worth calling a genre?

I get where you are coming from emotionally, CountChocula, but I think this is worthless in practical terms.
Yes, I have to say I completely agree.

That's why I prefer games like Skyrim - where my personal choice is about how I approach gameplay, and indeed - how I interact with the world and the environment.

I much prefer that kind of freedom, to picking between 2-4 written sentences - as if that could ever match what I really wanted to say - and especially who I wanted to be. In almost all RPGs - I end up in situations I would never have been in, as myself - because my personal opinion of how to do things is very, very different from that of almost all developers.

Picking dialogue options is just following a script that's slightly less tight than if those options weren't there. It's still very much a script - and that means I don't get to be who I want to be.

No, I want as many avenues of gameplay with as much freedom to purse them as possible. Having a rich dialogue tree on top of that is wonderful, but it will never constitute "roleplaying" for me.

As if roleplaying was just about dialogue or predefined choices.