Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Paradox Pulls The Plug

Paradox Interactive cancel several projects amid managerial shakeup, the returning CEO Fredrik Wester outlines their refocused ambitions.
Just more strategy and management games it seems.

Six Truths About Video Game Stories - The Bottom Feeder
We write super-retro, super-low-budget games that don't look great. Never have. Never will. So how do we succeed?

The answer is: Writing. Our game design is quite solid, but the stories we tell is what keeps us in business. Our games are highly interactive novels with settings, characters, and stories that get people to actually give us real money.

Now let's be clear. I'm not a great fantasy writer. If I was, I'd be writing books nobody buys because nobody buys books anymore. Still, as a writer I'm simply competent. Which, by video games standards, makes me awesome. Overall, I'm good enough that people give me money, and that is sufficient.

I really care about video game storytelling. More than I should. Because video game storytelling is usually pretty lousy. I cherish the games that do it well, sigh at the games that don't, and quietly pull my hair out when a game with really shaky writing gets hailed as high art.

So, although nobody asked, I would like to make six observations about video game writing. These are all things I've said in the past, but I'm collecting them in one place. Then you can bask in my wisdom, yell at me, or both.
Xenonauts 2 - September Update
Welcome to this month's update! A few things have been a tad slow over the past few weeks owing to various team holidays and illness, but we're getting back on track now and ready to share some more progress with you.

As well as doing a number of bugfixes on V21 of the Closed Beta after its release, we have mostly been working on the strategy balancing / air combat and some of the new art assets for the tactical combat.

Wasteland 3 Hotfix 1.6.1 Released - inXile
Grab that coffee and prepare to toboggan through a veritable gauntlet of post-apocalyptic patch notes! Hot on the heels of our second (and final) DLC's release, we're serving up a plate of fixes and tweaks that are sure to please. Now, what's this 1.6.1 business we're talking about?! What the hell happened to 1.5.4? Or 1.6.0 for that matter?! The simple explanation is that patch version numbers are meaningless and everything is meaningless and time is a flat circle. No matter. Drink more coffee. Maybe splash something extra in it.
Path of Exile: Scourge - Eternal Labyrinth Improvements
Alongside introducing other forms of uber endgame content, Path of Exile: Scourge also changes the way players access the Eternal Labyrinth.
Monster Hunter: Rise PC Demo Available - Steam
Hunters, are you ready to Rise to the Challenge?

Steam version features:
  • 4K resolution
  • Various graphics options
  • Controller support and optimized keyboard & mouse controls
  • Voice Chat
  • Ultrawide Display support
The Monster Hunter Rise Demo includes 5 quests, teaching you the basics of the Wirebug, Wyvern Riding, and Silkbind Skills, as well as offering a few actual hunts.

The 5 quests are as follows:
  • Basic Training Quest (Tutorial)
  • Wyvern Riding Training Quest (Tutorial)
  • Slay a Great Izuchi (Beginner)
  • Slay a Mizutsune (Intermediate)
  • Slay Magnamalo (Advanced)
All 14 weapon types are available, and the slaying quests can be played in co-op with up to 4 players. Experience immersive hunts with all the customization options you'd expect on Steam!
Monster Hunter: Rise PC Demo Preview Roundup

1. Windows Central
  2. PC Mag
  3. WCCFTech
Paradox considered cancelling Bloodlines 2 - RPS
The interview was with a Swedish news agency in Swedish, as seen on Placera. You can get the broad meaning from machine translation but the technology is imperfect, so I reached out to Paradox for a more accurate version of key parts.

"When we removed the game from the original developer we took a long look at whether we should cancel it or continue development," Wester said in the translation Paradox provided. "We were prepared to stop production completely, but we received a pitch that was persuasive enough for us to continue with. We have high hopes that this will be a good game that meets our players' desires."

Paradox still haven't said who has taken over making Bloodlines 2. Wester passed on answering a question about that in this interview, but did say they're "a very reputable and talented developer" who've made several games before. It's also unknown how much the new Bloodlines 2 resembles the old Bloodlines 2, though Wester seemingly said in this interview [currently going off Google Translate for this part, soz] that they can still use much of the work. For all anyone knows, that could mean anything from re-using art assets to picking up where Hardsuit left off. Hard to say when what happened is such a secret.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think they're on the verge of doing this.
Wouldn't blame them after wasting money on the games development.

At least we now know a well known developer has taking over development. Any guesses? They did mention the new developer has released seven games already.

New Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy Gameplay Footage

We play through an early portion of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy and chat through player choice and combat.
Torchlight Celebration Trailer

It's been 12 years since players were first introduced to the world of Torchlight. Since then they've trekked from the deepest dungeons of Torchlight itself, across the scorching dunes of the Mana Wastes, and most recently, through the dangerous and exotic lands of the Frontier.
Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor - October 2021 Update
The Queen’s Wish 2: The Conqueror Kickstarter is now done! Goals have been reached, backer money has been collected, and the game is now being written.

We have been spending a few weeks cleaning up all the stuff left undone in the push to launch the Kickstarter. We’ve been playing the game and balancing and tweaking things to make sure everything is tight and fun. We’ve been writing lots of art direction and coding the bits and bobs at the edges of the code.

If you backed Queen’s Wish 2 at a level where you get to contribute something to the game, check your Kickstarter messages! We have sent you a guide to how to give us your feedback. We need to hear from you in the next few months, so please don’t procrastinate on this too much.

Over the next few months, we will send out surveys to the kind people who bought physical objects. Watch your Kickstarter messages. We’ll mention it repeatedly in these updates to make sure you don’t miss it.

Dungeon of Naheulbeuk's DLC Splat Jaypak's Arenas releasing December 3rd

Here it comes! The long awaited second DLC, Splat Jaypak's Arenas! In this dangerous series of 15 fights, you'll get to test your most chaotic tactics against the greatest challenges imagined by the vile half-goblin, Splat Jaypak!

Splat Jaypak's Arenas will released on December 3rd, together with the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S versions of the base game! You can also get all the DLCs at once with the Season Pass on PC!
Master of Magic Remake - October 2021 Developer Diary
While the contest for the elusive Master of Magic is fought with great spells and ultimate wizard power, it is still all built on the sweat of the little folk down below, or so they tell you. You may be an ever powerful mage, but you need your cannon fodder… great men, women and creatures who will be manipulated into working and fighting for you, many that will die in blazing glory.

Nice catch! I haven't played the first game yet but it's on my radar, if I ever get to the end of my backlog.

The game was very successful but the first DLC had apparently a mixed reception. I'm wondering if that's because the game's interest is limited to one adventure then become boring, or if they just made a bad job with the DLC.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Updated Combat Styles Available - Public Test Server

They're planning a massive overhaul of everything combat related.

You can read more about that here : https://www.swtor.com/legacyofthesith
And more detailed there : https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20210806

Nice catch! I haven't played the first game yet but it's on my radar, if I ever get to the end of my backlog.

The game was very successful but the first DLC had apparently a mixed reception. I'm wondering if that's because the game's interest is limited to one adventure then become boring, or if they just made a bad job with the DLC.

I didn't play the DLC yet, so I can't say. But - in my opinion you're definitively missing something if you haven't played that game !!!

The DLCs name looks as if everything could finally play his or her psychotic killer ...

Gotham Knights - Official Court of Owls Story Trailer

Batman, Jim Gordon - they thought they had a handle on Gotham City, but there are hidden forces at play that no one talks about. It is up to the Gotham Knights - Batgirl, Nightwing, RedHood, and Robin - to uncover the secrets of this city's past before it's too late. But beware, the Court of Owls is always watching, always listening.
Solasta: Crown of the Magister - Physical Goods Update
Quick reminder for all backers who have physical goods in their rewards, we'll have to lock down delivery addresses in a few days so if you moved the last year or haven't completed your survey yet, now is the time!

After Sunday October 17th, you will no longer be able to do so - meaning if you haven't completed your survey by then, you won't receive your physical Kickstarter rewards.
Fallout 76 - Halloween Events Incoming
Over the course of the next week, we're kicking off Halloween and Bombs Drop festivities with a double-header event that's bringing Spooky Scorched and trick-or-treating to the Wasteland. In addition, Bombs Drop weekend will feature a triple threat of in-game events, including 50% off from the Purveyor, Scrip Surplus, and Double Mutation Daily Ops. As is Bombs Drop tradition, we're also offering sales on Fallout 76 and Atom Packs for a limited time.
Legends of Ellaria - Six Months Since Release and a Discount
Today, we are celebrating six months since Legends of Ellaria was released. Thanks to you, we've made many changes during that time, both in visuals and game tweaks.

We've also added new graphics in today's version and a special discount on our store page to celebrate this occasion.

We want to thank everyone who gave us feedback. Even after its release, you've helped us polish, balance, and add essential parts to Legends of Ellaria.
Spire of Sorcery will Launch on Steam Early Access on October 21st.
Lead a party of runaway mages through the unexplored lands full of dangerous encounters! Combine spellcasting, alchemy and equipment to prevail over opponents. Unlock spells, discover recipes, find new party members and expand the Spire to forge your own path to mending the world!

Sacred Fire - Available Now on Early Access

Sacred Fire is now available in Early Access on Steam! Sacred Fire is a psychological choice-driven RPG. Emotions and willpower influence your chances of success, so take risks to explore a branching narrative inspired by ancient Caledonia. Fight battles, gain allies and push your own limits. Who will you become to stop the invading Romans? Every choice counts.
Iometric ARPG Achilles: Legends Untold coming to Steam Early Access

There are many secrets waiting for you in the world of myths - today we will reveal one of them. We present to you Paweł Waszak - our CEO and Lead Game Designer at Dark Point Games, who will tell you about inspirations, out team's experience and about our game, of course. See for yourself what awaits you in the newest production of Dark Point Games - Achilles: Legends Untold! Add it to your wishlist!
Elden Ring Delayed to February 25 - Gematsu
Publisher Bandai Namco Entertainment and developer FromSoftware have delayed Elden Ring from its previously announced January 21, 2022 release date to February 25, as well as announced the dates for the Elden Ring closed network test.
Salt and Sacrifice for PC exclusive to Epic Games Store - Epic Games
The PC version of Salt and Sacrifice will be available exclusively via Epic Games Store when it launches alongside the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 versions in Q1 2022, developers Ska Studios and Devoured Studios announced. It will cost $19.99 and support English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Portugeues language options.
Corven - Path of Redemption Development Update - Kickstarter
I usually don't talk about my private life on here, but since this directly affected the project I have to. My wife got Covid several weeks ago, unfortunately not one of the many mild symptom cases, she got them all basically. High fever, shakes, bone aches, difficulty breathing, painful coughing, Unfortunately I got it as well and my symptoms started about a week after her. Same symptoms as she had. And it felt like it took forever for both of us. Our son, luckily, had like one sneeze and that was it for him with Covid.

22 Things You Need To Know About STALKER 2

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl is coming out next year, and if you're as excited for it as Zoe Delahunty-Light, don't worry: she has you covered. All the information currently available about #STALKER2 has been scooped up from the internet right here, from changes to STALKER 2 gameplay and things hidden in the STALKER 2 trailer
Salt and Sacrifice Gameplay Hands-On: The Soulslike Monster Hunter

In this Salt and Sacrifice Gameplay Hands-On article, we share our impressions from our time with the game via the PC Epic Store demo. The upcoming Souls-like Salt and Sacrifice doesn't have a release date yet, but we have been playing the demo all week and discovering just how much the game will offer. If you loved Salt and Sanctuary and are looking to know what's new with this title, we have everything you need.
Alder Forge - Development Update #1
As per the tradition for each one of my games, it is time to start with the Devlogs, each devlog that will be published will be related to the multiple disciplines and work I did while building the Alder Forge, so you could have an open curtain dev view of the game and see how each element was created, and without further ado, let us begin with Devlog #1 (Environment Design).

It has been a long time I have been excited for a game, but Starfield is getting there. I want to see some gameplay now though.

As far as Starfield goes, the jury is still way out. It could be great or it could be Fallout 76 all over again; a giant map with very little to do on it. At least it has NPC's this time from the beginning.

Turn-Based Cyberpunk RPG Keylocker Final Days - Kickstarter

Keylocker is a Cyberpunk tactical rhythm JRPG inspired by the Mario&Luigi RPG series and Chrono Trigger, in which you play as the singer and songwriter, BOBO. Fuel your moves with the electric power of music in this unforgiving planet by using real-time execution of moves in rhythm game style! Battle the authorities, unlock the secrets of Saturn, play on your own bands' concerts and hack into the network to bring an end to this corrupt system, for better or worse.
Might & Magic X Legacy Returns to Steam - Ubisoft
On June 1st, we made the decision to remove Might & Magic X - Legacy from sale following an unexpected issue that occurred after we shut down various services for cosecurity reasons, which prevented players from accessing some parts of the game and its DLCs. Our teams have spent the last few months investigating and testing the different solutions to make sure players' experience lives up to our standards in terms of quality of service.

Today, we're happy to announce that all conditions are met to bring the game back to the Ubisoft store and to Steam, and that new and returning players can now venture into the wide and mysterious world of Ashan again. In addition to the base game, we also took this opportunity to give all fans of Might & Magic X - Legacy the freedom to extend their adventure by accessing the DLC "The Falcon & the Unicorn", entirely for free.
King's Bounty II Review - Gamebanshee
1C has released some nice patches for King's Bounty II since its release, and they've fixed some of the more obvious problems with the game, like the lack of a quick save button, and the poorly-implemented tooltips. I didn't have any major problems with the game during the 60+ hours I spent playing it (including no crashes at all), but a couple of skills and talents don't seem to work as described, so either they're described poorly or they're broken, take your pick.

But 1C didn't do itself any favors by having the game end with "to be continued." Nobody likes that, regardless of the medium (or maybe you're still waiting with bated breath for the Alita: Battle Angel sequel). With some developers (like, say, Larian or ZA/UM), I'd be hopeful that the game just shipped slightly incomplete, and that eventually a free content DLC would flesh everything out, but in this case I suspect that 1C is hoping that people will pay to see the ending, and purchase some extra DLC. If so, then bleh on them.

Still, I enjoy turn-based strategy games, and even with the negatives I've pointed out in this review, King's Bounty II worked well enough for me. It's not as good as King's Bounty: The Legend, with less than half the options and content, but it gets enough things right to be worth playing. So I'm giving the game a borderline recommendation, but you're probably better off waiting for some more patches and a decent sale before buying it.
Blade of Darkness and Its Dark Souls Parallels - Eurogamer
When it originally launched in 2001, Severance: Blade of Darkness was known as the game in which you could beat enemies to death with their own limbs. But this grisly little factoid isn't actually true. You can beat enemies to death with other enemies' limbs, which if anything is more depraved, but the idea you can lop a goblin's arm off and then cave in their skull with the bloody end is a myth.

Then again, Blade of Darkness is a game suited to myth. The action RPG developed by defunct Spanish developer Rebel Act Studios has spent much of its existence trapped in a realm of legal limbo. But it has recently been unleashed from its copyright dungeon by publisher SNEG, relaunching on Steam with a slightly abridged title and some much-needed support for modern screens and machines.

What's most fascinating about this re-release, however, is the game's Steam description, which reads "Blade of Darkness is a hardcore fantasy action-adventure with unique combat mechanics and role-playing elements that pioneered the 'soulsborne' genre". It's a line fit for comedy double-takes. I thought Blade of Darkness was a game about chopping the legs off orcs, when did it suddenly become the progenitor of Dark Souls?

Great news about Might & Magic X!!

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Behind-the-Scenes

Get an exclusive peek into the creation of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy from the talented developers at Eidos-Montréal and see how ray tracing and NVIDIA DLSS delivers the ultimate PC experience featuring never-before-seen RTX gameplay footage captured on GeForce RTX 30 Series.
Dontnod's ARPG Vampyr Gets a Next-gen Performance Patch
We have a surprise for you. A Vampyr patch just went LIVE!With enhanced game performance on next-gen consoles, you can now visit plague-ridden Victorian London in up to 1440p and 60 FPS! Will you save its citizens or feed on those you vowed to heal?
CD Projekt Delays Witcher III's Next-Generation Update
CD PROJEKT S.A. (hereinafter referred to as “the Company”) wishes to provide an update regarding its publication schedule for 2021 as concerns the release of dedicated versions of Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for next-gen consoles (Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5). The Management Board of the Company hereby announces that, based on recommendations supplied by persons supervising development, it has decided to allocate additional time to both projects. The Company currently intends to release the next-gen version of Cyberpunk 2077 in the first quarter of 2022, and the next-gen version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in the second quarter of 2022.

Back
Top Bottom