Good Old Games - Atari's Classic PC Games Added

As for how it plays, the game is basicly an action-adventure spiced with rpg mechanics like questing, puzzles and exploring open gameworld. Weapons can be upgraded and you have various cool gadgets to use your advantage.
It's Gothic lite

And it's awesome for an action game, the only flaw I can think of is the lack of memorable side characters (both the lady friend and the villain should have more depth).
it was a mostly mindless action adventure
I can understand it was boring to you, but it's not mindless at all. There's a lot of talking, quite a few puzzles, the combat is pretty tactical (bunch of gadgets, which you probably have to use on higher difficulty levels, are featured)…

I can understand it was boring to you, but it's not mindless at all. There's a lot of talking, quite a few puzzles, the combat is pretty tactical (bunch of gadgets, which you probably have to use on higher difficulty levels, are featured)…

Well, it's been too long since I played it.

But my reaction was pretty negative back in the day, and I clearly recall being bored - even if I wanted to like it a lot. I don't recall the details, but I know my tastes and I'm sure it had something for others since it was so popular.

It's probably because I'm not fond of "going back" once a certain level of complexity or richness is reached. I seem to recall thinking it wasn't very interesting in terms of gameplay, but mostly functioned as an action/adventure with an emphasis on NPC interaction. Something I tend to find rather dull. I also remember being extremely underwhelmed by the exploration aspect, which is another aspect I value extremely highly. As I recall, the world was pretty but mostly empty of surprises.

It just wasn't anything that excited me…

Uhm. Do the ATARI really have any "must play" exclusives?

Sure. There's …. you know…. that game …….. Eh……
pitfallcoverart.png

Okay, that's actually by Activision, but I always think of Atari when I think of this game. ;)

As for Outcast, I thought it was great. Certainly unique and immersive — I still remember the sound of steps through snow, the water, the sun, the distant hills. The voxel technique did make everything seem more real, in a way the world had a lot more "substance" than even today's games with all their polygons and flat textures and bump-mapping.

Last edited:
If they will make an agreement with WotC and start to sell D&D games, I'm going to buy every single one of them to support gog.

Great game, but what's the connection with Atari?

Infogrames has bought Atari and change the corporate name to Atari.

Back
Top Bottom