Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Review - Gamebanshee
As you can see, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous has some issues, and it would be dishonest not to point them out. However, that doesn't change the fact that the game is still incredibly fun to play. And even if it does outstay its welcome a bit, before that happens, it offers a good hundred hours of solid role-playing entertainment.

And since pretty much no one else is making anything quite as deep these days, you take the good with the bad. A new Baldur's Gate this is not, but it's the closest thing we've got.
Encased Review Roundup

1. GameSpew - 7/10
  2. GamePressure - 7/10
  3. Third Coast Review - 3/4
  4. GameSpace - 7/10
  5. Hey Poor Player - 4/5
Queen's Wish 2 - Passes First Stretch Goal
Just a quick note to say that our Kickstarter for Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor just passed its first stretch goal! We will be porting the game to the iPhone. It is a lot of work to adapt the game to such a tiny screen, but there is a real magic in seeing it play in the palm of your hand. So we're excited! Thank you!

There are four days left in the Kickstarter, so we probably won't reach the New Storyline level. But we were excited about letting all backers have a way to contribute ideas, so we will be adding new material to the existing story and finding a way to let everyone chip in ideas.

Thank you so much! Just a little bit to go and then we can sleep again!

Lost Eidolons August 2021 Dev Update

August development update preview with ODS Creative Director of Lost Eidolons, Jin Sang. This month's features shows a lot of great new designs for the game models and concepts!
Dying Light 2 Delayed Until February 2022 - Eurogamer
Techland has delayed Dying Light 2 from 7th December to 4th February 2022.

Techland boss Pawel Marchewka said its parkour-infused open-world zombie sequel is complete and in playtesting, but needs more time for polish and optimisation.
Darkest Dungeon II Early Access Release Announced - Epic Games Store
Darkest Dungeon II (Early Access) is coming to @EpicGames on October 26th, 2021!
Expeditions: Rome Dev Diary #7 - Metagame: Character Systems
Today we will discuss the game systems that pertain to character progression: levelling up and spending your skill points, and finding items and equipment for your characters. These are the systems at the core of any self-respecting roleplaying game - the features that give you that sense of personal growth and ensure a steady increase of strategic and tactical complexity as you grow familiar with the game.
Revolution: The Spark - The Game is Alive
Some of you have already seen this news in the Steam Community Forum, but I've decided to make it more official and share the news that we are back working on Revolution: The Spark! And this time we intend to finish and release the game by 2022. We're excited to announce that we have started working on the Spark once again!

We put our best effort into making Spark a reality, but our inexperience quickly lead to scope creep, and as if that wasn't enough COVID-19 soon hit the whole world. The quarantine and remote work caused all sorts of delays, and when some of our relatives, and ourselves started to get sick that lead to the team kind of collapsing. Investments were partially withdrawn during this period. I’m not saying all of this as an excuse, I just wanted to inform you on the reason for all of the delays.

Last edited:
Commenting on the review of WOTR here. i.e. "a new BG this is not" was what the review said which I don't agree with personally but that is my own taste and not meant to be an objective comparison.

I am a huge BG fan and it has sat near the top of my all time favorites since it came out so many years ago. That being said it's a nostalgic rating based on the game at that time. It will always be one of my top favorites but it's not a game I go and replay again.

The pathfinder games currently are listed in my top ten close to the top as my current versions of a BG game (versus the nostalgic honorific).

It's hard for me to rate and compare very old games with new, somewhat requires their own lists.

Anyhow for me the Owlcats games meet my own standards to be considered a modern replacement for the BG games.

Not sure how it will end up ranking with Skyrim, FO4, and BG3 which are my other current top favorites (well Skyrim and FO4 could be considered old but since I still play them I consider current).

Diablo II: Resurrected Cinematic Trailer

Pursue the mysterious Dark Wanderer and fight the denizens of Hell as you uncover the fate of the Prime Evils Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal.
Broken Roads Interview - Escapist Magazine
Broken Roads may be a journey through post-apocalyptic Australia, with turn-based strategic combat and plenty of classic CRPG questing, but it’s also going to dig deeper into critical thinking, morality, and philosophy than any trek through the apocalypse you’ve had lately.

“I want them to have fun with it,” said Craig Ritchie, game director of Broken Roads and founder of developer Drop Bear Bytes. “I want them to have amazing experiences. I want them to laugh. I want them to be like, ‘Wow, that was a really tough decision. It was really interesting to be put there. What would I do if I was actually there?’”
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake Interview - StarWars
“I was a big RPG fan growing up. I started on the Apple IIC and played all the BioWare games. It wasn’t until I started playing KOTOR that I really understood how cinematic they could be,” Kellogg tells StarWars.com. “When I first put in KOTOR and saw that the camera was pulled down to ground level and I could look up at the skyscrapers of Taris, I really felt that I’d been put in the world in a way that I never had before. The characters were speaking to me in full VO [voiceover] and reacting to my choices, whether I was going light side or dark. It felt like it was a paradigm shift.”
Graywalkers: Purgatory - The New Frontier coming in November 2021
Greetings Graywalkers! I know it's been a while since you've heard from us and we apologize for that. However, we do bring news of great import to all of you. We've toiled the past months and we've rebuilt parts of the game to ensure that we will soon be bringing you closer to the game that we promised.

In November 2021, we will finally Graywalkers Purgatory: The New Frontier. We've felt that the game update will change everything, and in a good way. It's like you will be getting a new game from what you've been playing before.

Aside from fixing many of the problems that have plagued the game in the past, we are finally bringing you the features that will truly make this game a worthy RPG. You can expect the following in the coming update.

• Experience A Single Player Campaign through the first Region of Purgatory. (out of 4)
  • Create your own Avatar character. Customize your character's Race, Class, Abilities and more
  • Go on at least 50+ Missions within REgionscape 1 alone (Expect over 200+ Missions total)
  • Find over 1000+ pieces of items and gear such as weapons, armor, accessories, ammo, consumables, and salvageable items.
  • Find unique pieces of powerful equipment hidden all over the land to give your heroes the edge they need in the battle for humanity
  • Talk to dozens of NPCs all across Regionscape 1 of Purgatory
  • Encounter many monsters and enemies of varying types both as organized missions or as random encounters.
  • Earn Experience to level up all your characters and choose how you want to improve them.
  • Trade what you find all over the region and get yourself the Barter units and improved gear you need

Commenting on the review of WOTR here. i.e. "a new BG this is not" was what the review said which I don't agree with personally but that is my own taste and not meant to be an objective comparison.

I am a huge BG fan and it has sat near the top of my all time favorites since it came out so many years ago. That being said it's a nostalgic rating based on the game at that time. It will always be one of my top favorites but it's not a game I go and replay again.

The pathfinder games currently are listed in my top ten close to the top as my current versions of a BG game (versus the nostalgic honorific).

It's hard for me to rate and compare very old games with new, somewhat requires their own lists.

Anyhow for me the Owlcats games meet my own standards to be considered a modern replacement for the BG games.

Not sure how it will end up ranking with Skyrim, FO4, and BG3 which are my other current top favorites (well Skyrim and FO4 could be considered old but since I still play them I consider current).
I haven't read the whole article, their white-on-black pages are really uncomfortable to the eyes. So I haven't found a specific reason why it's not a "successor" but I suspect there is none. I think the problem with those comparisons to Baldur's Gate are mostly irrational - someone who enjoyed a part of their gaming history by discovering a new experience. Of course they will never find something similar again.

I also saw some nonsense like "not sure Owlcat knows what Core rules mean", "the game ignores the choices the user makes" or "the voice acting is less impressive", so I didn't even try to read more.

One thing may be true though, Owlcat Games is adding this extra layer every time, kingdom management or crusade system. Not only they don't take the time to make it work correctly and to balance it, but also, it's pale in comparison to the adventure part, and it's not really what the players want. At best it's a nice distraction which becomes an awkward distraction (at least in Kingmaker when you have to do that for hours before the next chapter triggers).

I didn't mind it, liked it to some extent but I wouldn't have missed it at all. I think it will be the same for WotR.

@Redglyph; - absolutely agree about PF Kingmaker/Wrath - I love the base RPG game, but I don't like the tedium of managing a kingdom/crusade. Whenever I have to, I kind of grit my teeth and my enjoyment recedes. I would be happy with a stronghold like NWN2 or BG2, that level of commitment. The crusade mechanism makes sense to some degree - I am in charge after all - but I should have others managing that and I should be out there battling the enemy and trying to close the worldwound…not being a glorified manager (!)

Yeah booboo, the stronghold mechanic is a far better way of achieving what, I think, the Pathfinder developers are trying to establish within their games. At least for me, and, I suspect, many others likely feel the same.

Expeditions: Rome - Showcase Trailer

Jagged Alliance 3 - Announcement Trailer

ELEX II - Story Trailer

C[I said:
ouchpotato;1061655241]Jagged Alliance 3 - Announcement Trailer

Jagged Alliance 3 ?????

Oh boy, I can hardly wait.. :excited: :boogie: :celebrate: :fingerscrossed:

EDIT: game already has its own Steam page.

Jagged Alliance 3 ?????

Oh boy, I can hardly wait.. :excited: :boogie: :celebrate: :fingerscrossed:

EDIT: game already has its own Steam page.
Call me surprised as well as l wasn't expecting this announcement.

It looks good better then Jagged Alliance: Rage! at least.:happycry:

Call me surprised as well as l wasn't expecting this announcement.

It looks good better then Jagged Alliance: Rage! at least.:happycry:

That announcement surprised me too. And I agree with you: it looks damn good! :)

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - Dying 2 Know MORE #3

Do you want to know MORE about Dying Light 2 Stay Human? No worries! Paulina's guest is Szymon Strauss, Producer, who will tell you more about the weapons which you will use in the game.
Runescape Dev Jagex Tried To Kill RuneLite HD Graphics Mod

Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor Successfully Funded
Our Kickstarter for Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor is done, and we are hugely happy with how it turned out. We will be writing the second chapter in the Queen's Wish (hopeful) Trilogy, and it should be out in the area of Summer, 2022.

So where do we go from here? Well, we're going to write the game. We'll give you an update on our progress at least bimonthly. Expect lots of art, screenshots, and glimpses into the development process.

We made good progress toward the second stretch goal, adding a new storyline. The world of Queen's Wish 2 is already pretty huge, but we do plan to add more material and give backers a way to chip in prompts for what goes into it. You'll hear more about this in the future.
Broken Roads - from Concept Art to In-Game
This week, Drop Bear Bytes art team run you through the creation of a character - Sid Thompson, a wasteland scavenger and fuel merchant - from the earliest ideas through to placing him in game.
Rumor: Microsoft Might Be Preparing Another Bethesda-Level Acquisition?
Skullzi, a gaming news YouTuber, recently tweeted that he had heard A CRAZY RUMOR about a potentially forthcoming acquisition. He went on to imply the online reaction would be huge, possibly even contentious, as he predicts a lot of internet lawyers debating monopoly laws at some point in the near future.

Archmage Rises - New Team Member Tyler!

We're happy to introduce our newest programmer, Tyler! In this short interview we cover his favorite games and what he hopes to bring to the Archmage Rises experience.
WUCHANG: Fallen Feathers - Official Reveal Trailer

Set in the chaotic final years of the Ming Dynasty, WUCHANG: Fallen Feathers is an exploration of the hauntingly beautiful landscapes of imperial China and the battle against mysterious forces that transform a grim reality to supernatural horror.
Citizen Sleeper - Narrative RPG set on a Space Station

Roleplaying in the ruins of interplanetary capitalism. Live the life of an escaped worker, washed-up on a lawless station at the edge of an interstellar society. Inspired by the flexibility and freedom of TTRPGs, explore the station, choose your friends, escape your past and change your future.

Runescape Dev Jagex Tried To Kill RuneLite HD Graphics Mod

I don't understand this (and I don't want to watch videos all of the time), so, what's the point, actually ?

I don't understand this (and I don't want to watch videos all of the time), so, what's the point, actually ?
The video has a bunch of source links but they don't copy paste to well.

Here PC Gamer - https://www.pcgamer.com/runelite-hd-shut-down/
Runescape developer Jagex has put an end to Runelite HD, a fan-made HD mod of the popular open-source client for Old School Runescape, just as the project was about to launch last Monday. The 11th-hour move has some Runescape fans decrying Jagex's decision and saying they'll move to other MMOs.

Runelite HD developer "117" posted to Reddit Tuesday sharing the message he had received from Jagex, which was later confirmed by Jagex in the company's own blog post. Runelite HD operates as a plugin that would give a significant visual overhaul to the base Runescape, as can be seen on 117's Twitter. The modder added that they have spent approximately 2,000 hours over the last two years working on Runelite HD.

"Yesterday we contacted the developers of known HD projects and we asked them to stop development of their projects, because this is a project we are directly investigating," Jagex stated.

Thank you. I still prefer reading over watching.

I bet they are only "investigating" because someone tried to do it in the first place. I doubt that the devs would have started such a thing for such an old game in the first place.

Wuchang - Fallen Feathers looks like a true Soulborne clone. Whether that is a good or bad thing is up to interpretation!

Sacred Fire coming to Early Access on October 19th

Sacred Fire is a psychological role-playing game. You’re a refugee hunted by Rome, your actions compromised by fear and rage. Build up your willpower to control story choices and master battle tactics. Outsmart opponents and gain allies. Wage war or strive for peace. End up a hero or an outcast.
Phantom Brigade Update 10: Festival of Fire

Phantom Brigade's 10th monthly update is now available on the Epic Games Store!
King Arthur: Knight's Tale September Status Update
Hope you're all having a great September! Here at Neocore, it's been a busy few months for us, as we're preparing content for the next patch and also for the release. Hopefully we can announce the release date very soon! Once again, thank you for all the feedback and support, we're grateful for having a positive and supportive community!
Gamedec Review Roundup

1. PC Gamer - 58/100
  2. Shacknews - 8/10
  3. Ragequit.gr - 85/100
  4. COGconnected - 70/100
  5. GamePressure - 8/10
  6. PC Invasion - 5/10
  7. Tom's Guide - 4/5
  8. PC Gamer - 58/100
  9. Shacknews - 8/10
  10. Ragequit.gr - 85/100
  11. COGconnected - 70/100
  12. GamePressure - 8/10
  13. PC Invasion - 5/10
  14. Tom's Guide - 4/5

Top RPG News This Week

Happy weekend from Fextralife! If you’ve been too busy to keep up on the latest in the games we cover or are looking for a refresher we’ve got you covered! Here’s a bite-sized version of the Top RPG news of the week. Taste all the latest news across the Fextralife Wiki Network.
Medieval Dynasty - Q&A with Developers Video #6

We’ve collected your questions and picked some of them to answer. Village Leaders here it is, our 6th Medieval Dynasty Q&A Video!
GRAVEN - First Content Update Info and More
Content Update 1 is arriving (very) soon, and we're working on a lot more than that. We were aiming to have this ready by the end of August, as it stated in our public Roadmap, but since the first Early Access release, we’ve learned quite a lot from all of the fan-feedback and we don’t want to rush and release an update that we don’t feel is ready for you yet. We currently have a public roadmap, and we’re working hard on staying on track, however the roadmap might be adjusted further as we release more Early Access Updates, and get more player feedback! Stay tuned!

The Graven team is hard at work on every aspect of the full game, including many revisions of everything from AI to Level Design, based on all of the fantastic feedback we’ve already received. The Early Access updates are a small slice of what is coming. Even content you have already played in Early Access will see improvements from the final release, on top of the two additional hubs with their own unique enemies, characters, regions, and weapons. Every discipline, every region, every mode and experience is receiving active work on a daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom