Neverwinter Nights: EE - Released on GOG

The only real value they add is a restoration of the server list as well as a few bug fixes.
The graphics improvements are minor - although the UI scaling is improved people keep telling me. Of course, they introduced some bugs of their own.

Do haks and custom content automatically download when connecting to the server now like in NWN2 or that still a way away?

Patch 1.69 did a lot more than this - including adding new tilesets.

This game is essentially a patch. Had it had new tilesets, new classes, and a good campaign, I could justify this as an expansion at this price and would buy it. If you had to go with this or the Steam version the GOG version is the way to go with its extra mods and its discount but I will wait till its $5.

--

Some ideas - complete combined tileset hak. I've seen a few combines but it would be interesting to see if its possible to combine all the official ones.

Steam has Workshop support.

NWN: Diamond Edition vs. NWN: EE With All Advanced Filters
DiamondEdition.tga
DiamondEdition.tga
DiamondEdition.tga
NWNComparisonAllFilters.png

NWN: Diamond Edition vs. NWN: EE With Vibrancy Filter
NWNComparisonVibrancy.png

NWNComparisonComparisonNoFilter.png
NWN: Diamond Edition vs. NWN: EE With Depth Of Field Filter
NWNComparisonDepthOfField.png

NWNComparisonComparisonNoFilter.png
NWN: Diamond Edition vs. NWN: EE With High Contrast Filter
NWNComparisonHighContrast.png

NWN: Diamond Edition vs. NWN: EE With No Filters
NWNComparisonNoFilter.png

Lol did Beamdog download SweetFX? :p

Aubrielle was correct in the Baldur's Gate 3 rumor thread.:(
The only way that Beamdog could do this and avoid years of online savagery, boycotts, and DDOS attacks is to just call it "Birth Of A Nation", based on the famous hit movie of 1915. And then some of our more vocal watchers that hated Dragonspear and love Kingmaker would embrace it, and we could all sleep at night.

In my experience ReShade Me and SweetFX don't work with 1.69 (they do with EE though). NWN:EE has given me the server browser back and I've played on a few online servers including World of Greyhawk which I last played back in 2010. I can now play the game in a resizable window. The shaders are average but EE works with ReShade Me now so I suppliment it with that. Automatic HAK downloading is coming and if BD support it like the other stuff they've done then there should be some good stuff to come. As to being ugly, like any good old game, there's a mod for just about eveything but its never going to get up current standards. Still, the myriad of gameplay option availble to those willing to take the time more than makes up for that for me. TBH you really have to have already been a fan to get the most out of EE. They're sure to get some new and returning fans but i doubt it'll be as much of a hit as the EE editions of BG and BG2.

I don't get this, but I'm suspecting Godwin's law with this kind of hyperbole.
Nope it's the theory that for every Beamdog thread a few biased negative opinions are excepted. I call it Couchpotato's Law, and I'm In the process of copyrighting it.:biggrin:

So..comparing people who complain about Beamdog is equivalent to a 100 year movie promoting white supremacy is not Godwin's law? I shall make a note.

Truth is, you're starting to go to Fluent lengths about defending this (though he tends to reek of outright optimism and positivity).

For the record, I am willing to buy this, being the biggest NWN fan these here internetty boards have ever seen, but not at this price point and not for what they are offering. Sp I'm not anti-beamdog about this (though I agree with most complaints re: Beamdog).

You may see a great improvement in graphics here, but I see it as minor,

You may see a great improvement in graphics here, but I see it as minor,

Good thing it's not just graphics enhancements they're doing, then. :)

And Fluent levels of anything is a really, really high level. But the Potato man can reach it, I have faith in him. :D

Does the Steam version (potentially) make installing modules quicker / easier (i.e., through the Workshop)? I could see that being a reason to get the Steam version as installing modules with lots of custom content can really be a pain.

Even though I think Beamdog is really over-charging a lot for very minimal enhancements to such an old game, I may eventually want to get it because of the upcoming EE revamps / continuations of module series (ex: the creator of the "Sanctum of the Archmage" series already has a EE version of his existing modules & is now working on the next chapter) and some other module creators are possibly doing EE versions… Kale's Rangers creator said he may finish part 3 of his series.

Do you really have trouble with mods? Is popping custom content in the right folder the problem?

Believe it or not, I think custom content was the biggest mistake Bioware made because it just confused the average gamer (not that they couldn't figure it out, they just didn't care enough to bother). Those who could figure out or developed the stuff tended to give a rat's behind for the average gamer and just wanted kudo's for being cool enough to make it.

Bio did come up with a system to create executable installers but developers didn't make them, and users (and their PC's) didn't trust them.

Good thing it's not just graphics enhancements they're doing, then. :)

And Fluent levels of anything is a really, really high level. But the Potato man can reach it, no doubt. :D

The other improvements don't amount to much for me except a restoration of the servers. For $20, where's the new tilesets, the new classes, the new levels, a new campaign! There's dozens of items listed on that Trello that so far are just vapour.

The other improvements don't amount to much for me except a restoration of the servers. For $20, where's the new tilesets, the new classes, the new levels, a new campaign! There's dozens of items listed on that Trello that so far are just vapour.

Well it's a long-term project according to Trent and Phil. They've worked with modders to enhance the modkit even further so better characters and tilesets can be made. I haven't looked at the Trello lately but the new campaign, tilesets, classes and so on were up there last time I checked. I think Beamdog would rather modders work on new campaigns with their improved tools they're working on because NWN was more about the modding community campaigns anyway.

Well it's a long-term project according to Trent and Phil. They've worked with modders to enhance the modkit even further so better characters and tilesets can be made. I haven't looked at the Trello lately but the new campaign, tilesets, classes and so on were up there last time I checked. I think Beamdog would rather modders work on new campaigns with their improved tools they're working on because NWN was more about the modding community campaigns anyway.

You could do that with the old one and didn't need to pay an additional $20 bucks for it. In fact, it was still going on. If it was a long term project, then they shouldn't have released it so early. Get some of the more desired features in before putting it in the store.

Do you really have trouble with mods? Is popping custom content in the right folder the problem?

Believe it or not, I think custom content was the biggest mistake Bioware made because it just confused the average gamer (not that they couldn't figure it out, they just didn't care enough to bother). Those who could figure out or developed the stuff tended to give a rat's behind for the average gamer and just wanted kudo's for being cool enough to make it.

Bio did come up with a system to create executable installers but developers didn't make them, and users (and their PC's) didn't trust them.

Yeah, it's not that's it difficult, it just can be rather tedious; particularly with the modules that utilize a bunch of different custom tilesets, haks, etc. The CEP is the worst because there's dozens of iterations and they're not backwards compatible (you have to install the exact version the creator used). A one click installation a la Steam workshop would be highly preferable.

Unfortunately there may be some issue where a lot of mods won't be put on the workshop if they can't get a hold of custom content creators to get their permission to distribute on Steam. Which seems like a silly concern for free custom content but some people are silly about such things.

Yeah, I have no bias about Beamdog one way or the other, but this just doesn't strike me as great value. This was 2002, the same year as Morrowind, which you can pick up for 5 bucks, with all the expansions. I realize there's a lot of content in the NWN bundle with all the premium modules, but half of them are crap, and they want over $50 for it.

Another lazy remaster from Beamdog that doubles the price. Even worse, they charge extra for modules that can be downloaded free for the original online.

Only good thing is they added new content to DoD, but it's still a ripoff.

More important then graphics (and I am sure new custom models will come) is the fact that EE should work properly with CPUs and graphic cards made after 2006. Oh, and it works properly on any windows made after XP and won't remove the torsos off the models if you install new drivers.

More important then graphics (and I am sure new custom models will come) is the fact that EE should work properly with CPUs and graphic cards made after 2006. Oh, and it works properly on any windows made after XP and won't remove the torsos off the models if you install new drivers.

Along with easily scaleable UI, which was a godsend for me after playing my Swordflight playthrough in 640x480 or something, just so I can read the text. :p

Once modders start getting more of a hold of this again we'll see content rise and interesting things come. It's still in the infant stages but they released it so Steam Workshop could be quickly implemented and the modding community would start to work on it again in an easier fashion. They made a lot of changes to the modkit, the game runs well on modern machines (it would crash a lot on my Diamond copy, and Steam Controller would barely function and had no Steam overlay), and it does look better with the filters they've added, even if they are somewhat minor touches (I would argue Vibrance changes the looks in a very, very nice way, even if it essentially SweetFX or what have you. It's a welcome addition).

Beamdog are good peoples. They are trying to breathe life into these ancient, forgotten games of yesteryear and I like them for that. Trent seems genuinely enthused at what he does and so does Phil. They're always full of positive energy and good vibes. And regardless of what anyone says, I enjoyed their EE characters as well as Siege of Dragonspear (even if I wished it had more choice & consequence, specifically joining Caelar's Army for a bit somehow, that would have been cool). They also got a little too epic with their bestiary choices, but no biggie. It also looked gorgeous and they squeezed the Infinity Engine for every drop they could get out of it. Importing from BG1->SoD->BG2 was great, and I genuinely enjoy their enhancements. I see NWN doing bigger things but in a longer span of time. And who knows, they could be gearing up for BG3 in the meantime with a separate team, since they have a great working relationship with Wizards of the Coast.

Yeah, it's not that's it difficult, it just can be rather tedious; particularly with the modules that utilize a bunch of different custom tilesets, haks, etc. The CEP is the worst because there's dozens of iterations and they're not backwards compatible (you have to install the exact version the creator used). A one click installation a la Steam workshop would be highly preferable.

Unfortunately there may be some issue where a lot of mods won't be put on the workshop if they can't get a hold of custom content creators to get their permission to distribute on Steam. Which seems like a silly concern for free custom content but some people are silly about such things.

I think that sums up the two problems perfectly. I think that a couple of projects are not upgrading to EE compatibility on purpose.

Regarding the CEP - the purpose of the CEP was maintain some standard across mods and servers by having one Hak to rule them all. Different versions of it just break it. Everyone who uses it should be required to keep it up to date to the latest version.

It would be an interesting project on the vault to EE the most noteworthy of all mods. You'd need a large community effort to do that.

Of course, in the early days I would accuse Bioware of deliberately breaking mods, starting with patch 1.32 in order to sell more copies of Shadows of Undretide and later
HotU (namely with 1.32 they change some argument roders in some key functions which also broke the Hardcore Ruleset script system which almost everyone used at the time. They also flagged mods to not be backwards compatible if SoU was installed or its assets used in the toolset).

Games that are retrofitted to work on my current rig and are games that I enjoyed in the past will always get my support. Yeah, sometimes I'd hope they'd be a bit cheaper, but since I know the inherent value is there, I'll likely buy the newer version just for the peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom