Rampant Games - How Do You Roleplay?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Rampant Coyote follows on from a post at CRPG Addict with How Do You Roleplay in a CRPG? Here's a snip from the latter:
If I were to boil it all down, it would come down to this: You use your imagination, and invest yourself into the game. Although as he suggests, a lot of that depends upon how well the game allows you to do that. I might suggest, alternatively, is you get out of it what you put into it, with a multiplier provided by the game. A good game has a high multiplier value. A crappy game approaches zero.
I read Scott McCloud’s acclaimed book, Understanding Comics, a few years ago and it really opened my eyes to things. The most powerful concept I learned was how more abstract art can be more compelling, as it allows the reader / viewer to project themselves onto the page. A detailed, more realistic character comes with baggage. A more abstract, cartoony character is more of a blank slate, compelling the reader to fill in the details – usually on a subconscious level.
I think that applies equally to games. Thus the continued success of the “silent hero” archetype in RPGs.
More information.

What pulled me into Fallout 3 was the little incidental discoveries I made while exploring. I'd stumble across some little, long-forgotten tragedy or vignette and it would set my imagination spinning. What happened to these people or that person? What were they thinking or doing leading up to their demise? What were their hopes and fears?
The Gothic series was intriguing to me, too, but in different ways and for different reasons. I'm a sucker for good stories and characters. Whizz-bang graphics? Not nearly as much.

Through time, I subconsciously developed a habit of always playing as a "Chaotic Good" character.
When I can't, I bend to the rules.

I guess that's why I love games like Gothic and the rest.

What pulled me into Fallout 3 was the little incidental discoveries I made while exploring. I'd stumble across some little, long-forgotten tragedy or vignette and it would set my imagination spinning. What happened to these people or that person? What were they thinking or doing leading up to their demise? What were their hopes and fears?

I loved exploring in FO3, and you give a great example of why it was so fun. It was always intriguing to find an abandoned shack, etc. with a body and a holotape.

Back
Top Bottom