Kingmaker - Reddit AMA Summary

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Pathfinder: Kingmaker had a reddit AMA recently which has been summarized over on the Paizo forums here. There is a lot of new info there so it is worth checking out.

Character Creation:
-The Game includes all the races and Classes from the Core Rulebook. It also includes Alchemist and Inquisitor. The Rogue is from Pathfinder Unchained, the Barbarian unchained but can choose between normal and Unchained Rage, the Monk is as yet undecided.
-There are no plans for Occult class characters right now.
-Arcane Trickster is in the game already, other Prestige classes are planned as well. Dragon Disciple seems likely. As does Aldori Swordlord.
-There are already more than 15 spells to choose from for each of the three first spell levels, with more to come. There will be over 300 spells total by the time the game is launched.
-Bardic masterpieces are in.
-There are around 10 Animal Companions in the base game.
-There are around 10 Familiars in the base game. No word either way on Red Pandas. I remain hopeful. Avellone is petitioning Owlcat to allow Owlcat familiars.
-There will be more than 300 feats.
-There will be NO Grippli, not even as a stretch goal, due to licensing issues since Grippli are WotC IP. While the information was delivered tongue in cheek, there will be no Deep One Hybrids either.
-Since there is no mounted combat, Cavaliers seem vanishingly unlikely. Similarly, Paladin Mount bonds.
-There are pregenerated builds and recommendations for all the choices and options.
-The current plan for Character Creation is point buy. The Devs have stated that they may also consider rolling characters as an optional alternative.
-Stats will be point buy by default, with an option for rolled stats due to backer demand.
-Magus is the second Stretch Goal.
-You can become a fallen Paladin.
-They want to add Aldori Swordlords.
-Multiclassing is in the game.
-Item creation feats, crafting, and Profession skills are not in the game. There will be talking skills (e.g. diplomacy, intimidate, bluff, etc), knowledge skills (e.g. Geography, History, local, nobility, etc), and movement skills (e.g. climb, swim, acrobatics, etc). The actual Skills have not been confirmed yet beyond Perception. At least one video shows a "Thievery" skill.
-You will be able to select portrait for your character, these will all be Paizo approved. the ability to use custom portraits is still in discussion.
-You will be able to select face, hair style, skin tone, hair color (and gnomes will definitely have crazy colors available for them). Owlcat is also trying to add different body types, is am not promising it right now.
-You can select a deity your character will worship. Divine classes will have to select specific deity. Paladin codes will be referenced to, but not strictly mechanically upheld.
-Because there is no mounted combat, Paladins have different versions of divine bonds, most common of them being a weapon bond.
-There will be favored class bonuses, including racial options, but probably not all of them.
-Character creation design is not finalized, but Owlcat plans to include character background in some form in it.

Multiplayer and Modding:
-Base game is Single Player only.
-While DM Tools and Multiplayer were floated as possible stretch goals early on, the Devs want to focus on making a good Single Player game first and foremost and so they don't want to promise that they will be available.
-Modding is a seperate issue that they are not focused on at this time.
-There are no plans for a DM client option. This si something to examine for Future Games.

Regarding Companions:
-There are either 10 or 11 Companions in the Base Game.
-Companion characters are a mix of New characters, iconic Pathfinder characters, and characters already existing in the AP.
-Amiri, the Iconic Barbarian, is a companion with a lot of backstory and events happening around her throughout the game. Amiri is the only Iconic Companion.
-Jubilost Narthropple is a companion. He a cantankerous gnome, is kind of a jerk, and you can fail to recruit him if you screw up your attempt to help him out with his wagon. He's also a character from the original AP.
-Valerie is a blonde haired Human Woman from Brevoy. She is also a Fighter who Worships Gorum, and a failed Paladin of Shelyn.
-A halfling that looks suspiciously like Lem is a companion.
-A bard is a companion. He decides to join you because he wants to record your story. This companion has not been seen yet and may or may not be the halfling.
-Octavia is a female Half-Elf wizard/rogue/arcane trickster.
-There is a Blonde male who looks like an Elven inquisitor of Sarenrae.
-There is a Half-Orc who definitely looks like a Magus (or maybe he's the bard)?
- There is what looks like either a Taldan or Ulfen Human male Fighter.
-There is an either Garundi or Mwangi man in light armor. He is probably from Thuvia.
-There is a Goblin Companion. This Goblin is sadly, not an Alchemist.
-Harrim is a Dwarven Cleric of Groetus. He has a Mohawk looking hairdo.
-Finally, there is what I believe looks like a Tian Woman, but others tell me looks like Jiselle the iconic Swashbuckler. Further Videos and investigation of teh Blogger kit realeased in teh music update show that she is a Player Fighter Character.
-There will be companion Romance, but it isn't the only relationship option. This Includes LGBTQ+ romance options. This kicks in as quickly as Module 1.
-Companions can disagree with you, leave you, and even turn on you if they don't like you. They do NOT need to be in your party for this to happen. Companions are living people and don't stop existing just because you leave them home.
-The story can change considerably depending on your party composition.
-Each companion has an expandable novel style bio that expands as you learn more about them and progress in the game.
-You can take 5 Companions with you in a party at one time.
-You can level up your companions based on your own preferences, even changing their classes if you wish, there is however a suggested path, and you can have them auto-level if you wish instead.
-You will also be able to choose from several AI behaviours for your party members, allowing them to use spells and abilities or spend resources on their own.
-Each companion will have one or several levels in a predetermined class when you meet them. You can level them any way you wish from there on out, but their "starting class" is preset.
-Chris Avellone really wants to write Amiri and Jubilost. But negotiations as to who gets to do what are still ongoing.
-Companions definitely have an opinion, will act on that opinion, and will act strongly on that opinion (leaving the party is only one possible ending for companions you butt heads with). Mentions have been made of Companions turning on you as well.
-There are some companions that simply are impossible to influence with your charms, only your actions.
-Some of the companions come from as far as Absalom and even Thuvia and you will be able to talk to them about those lands.
-Companions' stories carry through (heroic and tragic, though both are not set in stone for each character) throughout the game to the very end.
-Companions have their own choices of deities. (Presumably these are preselected for them).

[...]
More information.

Thank god for crowdfunding and small developers who make games I love. As this years E3 showed most AAA games will be Co-Op, and require you to play online on a server.

Thank god for crowdfunding and small developers who make games I love. As this years E3 showed most AAA games will be Co-Op, and require you to play online on a server.

Better yet thank god to see MR. Kevin posting again. :)

It's so cool that they made an AMA. These guys really know how to do their marketing well.

Better yet thank god to see MR. Kevin posting again. :)
Yeah I was busy working and getting my life in order after my fathers death. So I didn't have much time to post on the forums, but I did visit the site daily for news.

Sounds a bit by the book, but what the hell. This setting and design they have to be damn flawless to get a pass by the old grognards. :p

Yeah I was busy working and getting my life in order after my fathers death. So I didn't have much time to post on the forums, but I did visit the site daily for news.

I hear you, and sorry about your father.

I haven't been here much either, long year of personal stuff.

Sorry to hear that mate. My condolences.

"There are already more than 15 spells to choose from for each of the three first spell levels, with more to come. There will be over 300 spells total by the time the game is launched"

"-Base game is Single Player only.
-While DM Tools and Multiplayer were floated as possible stretch goals early on, the Devs want to focus on making a good Single Player game first
(...)"

It seems that this game is gonna be great :D:D:D

I'm really looking forward to this one :) I like just about everything I've read!!

Really like the answers here glad I backed.

LGBT romance options kicks in as quickly as Module 1.

Phew, for a moment there I was worried.

This sounds better and better! It looks like this will have some depth in all mechanics making it a "real" RPG.

I will also try the option to autopause each round. Let's hope you can pause at the beginning of each chars/NPCs start of round, so it really becomes "quasi turn-based."

Oh, well, not all games can have coop I guess.

I know I'll get it eventually.

World has gone mad...Who the heck cares about this crap. I play less and less CRPG nowadays anyway so maybe soon I'll bail on it all together.

All sounds really amazing other than the romances and the RTwP.

I actually broke my no more crowdfunding vow for this one and went in at the early bird $25. It all sounds like a really awesome and very well thought through concept with tons of depth in all the major gameplay areas. Every single update has been really impressive so far with the attention to detail they seem to be putting in every gameplay system.
Let us hope they can turn all these great ideas into proper, stable and bugfree software. Then we're in for a real treat :) .

Paizo has delivered in terms of more conventional RP.
I am quite eager to see what they can bring on a PC.

Again? I thought you came from codex, not from polygon.
Spit all you want, the thing is romances sell and varieties sell even more. Cost of adding it? A few changed lines in text and VO. Basically, irrelevant sum for more sold copies.
Sure, romances are usually crappy in games, but then we can at least discuss if they suck or kick arse and whatever.

Unlike coop and microtransactions. There you need to develop a shop and online systems. To sell how many more copies than if it didn't exist? None, as we who don't want it won't buy such product.
And there is absolutely nothing fans could discuss about those. I mean find me a thread here on RPGwatch about coop sucks/rocks discussion, then check if we talked about romances designs in games.

What I'm saying, noone is forcing you to back this project. There numerous MMO projects without romances on Kickstarter, I'm sure you'll find many to pledge.
In cast that fails, I'm sure you'll find some neo scavenger clone to be happy with.
Or perhaps your issue is there are no romances with bears, specifically DA:bears. That's something I can understand you, you want an option to break a romance with some bear which is no biggie as another instantly appears.

I actually broke my no more crowdfunding vow for this one and went in at the early bird $25.
I missed earlybird, but honestly don't care and backed the so called "premium" whatever option that includes some additional crap items I probably won't use.
This singleplayer project sounds so good, it's worth risking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom