The Science Thread

OMG
That is bloody brilliant!
If there is any chance to standardize it by public demand, count on my support.
NOOO!!!

As a variable/parameter in my equations, I consider the letter π to be off limits for obvious reasons. I tend to use τ to denote the time constant in low-pass filters so I say "NO" to the replacement of π by τ. Do not touch my τ and make it a "forbidden" letter !!! :furious:.

In all fairness, it does make sense though ;). But I'd rather see π be redefined as 2π……..much less problematic :).

While we're at it, why don't we change base 10 to base 12? That would be a much bigger advance and much easier to adopt by the main public :).

EDIT:
I really put effort in getting the letter pi visually "right" by changing font and size ….I come home and I see it totally "distorted" on a different computer ….WTF!

Last edited:
12 for what resons? Lemme try:
- just as two prime numbers in deca system (2,5), we get again two (2, 3)
- there is a nice word "dozen"
- in the past people worked for 12 hours, not 8
- circle is presented as 12X degrees
- we have 12 months

Hell why not!

I'll tell you why not, and why would I go for hexadecimal system instead.

1. We don't have 12 fingers. We have 10 (usually). Okay you can put that thumbs are worth as two, but it's… Complicated to explain it to kids.
How about we say thumbs are worth a total of other fingers on that hand = 4? That way we can display 16 different numbers with our hands easily. I mean… Kids can. We could go more complicated putting a different prime number on each finger, but school kids? No. They need simple a thing.
So a dozen with fingers? Easy! Two thumbs and any other four fingers, right? :D

2. Hexadecimal system is practically upgraded binary system. Kids have two eyes, ears, hands, legs, etc. Okay some probably have three. But it's very easy to explain them what's 4, what's 8, what's… Dunno… 32.

3. Modern technology is all about binary system. On/Off. Easy for kids. And converting numbers from binary to hexadecimal and vice versa - can't be easier than it is.

4. Who ever said we have to make circle chunks with thirds? Why not use only halves? Why are 12 numbers on the clock when it can easily be redesigned into 16?

5. Why the number of months must be 12? Because astrologists said that? Wouldn't 8 be more than enough?

6. Oh, no, but old 12 hours of work and now 8 hours of work and then the case of 12 months would be ruined and EA CEO slavers would be furious if we even think about changes to the current form. Yea, well, I'm not sucking up to those animals. It's kids I'm thinking about, not corporate trolls.

While we're at it, why don't we change base 10 to base 12? That would be a much bigger advance and much easier to adopt by the main public :).
I'd rather we redefine time and make everything metric.

No more 12 or 24 hours in a day; we'd have 10 hour days and nights, so noon is at 5.
1 hour = 100 minutes, 1 minute = 100 seconds. 10 months in a year (a month would have 36 or 37 days), 10 days in a week. That would make for 7 days of work and 3 days off.

Such a simplified system would be much easier to get for aliens, too.

Last edited:
Let's start making people drive on the right side of the road. Difficult enough

I'd rather we redefine time and make everything base 10.

No more 12 or 24 hours in a day; we'd have 10 hours sharp, so noon is at 5.
1 hour = 100 minutes, 1 minute = 100 seconds. 10 months in a year (a month would have 36 or 37 days), 10 days in a week. That would make for 7 days of work and 3 days off.

Sorry, but AND, OR and NOT disagree. XOR and XAND still didn't say anything.

Let's start making people drive on the right side of the road. Difficult enough
Did you read what I've posted a few days ago about Star Trek "Impulse engine"? Roads and sides will soon be a thing of the past.

Hidden, why did you add that link, whyyyyy…
I have to go play games, not think spam about "irrelevant" stuff.
Go post it on RPGcodex so they start a flamewar! :evilgrin:

@Arhu

A NewDay = 10 Newhours

A Newhour = 100 NewMinutes

A NewMinute = 100 NewSeconds

is perfectly doable with a NewSecond = 0,864 (Old) Seconds

a NewMinute = 86,4 (Old) Seconds = 1,44 (Old) Minutes

a NewHour = 8640 (Old) Seconds = 2,4 (Old) Hours

a NewDay = an Old Day

from there on everything has to be equal to the old system (length of month, years etc.) or you lose the meaning of the four seasons.

12 for what resons? Lemme try:
- just as two prime numbers in deca system (2,5), we get again two (2, 3)
- there is a nice word "dozen"
- in the past people worked for 12 hours, not 8
- circle is presented as 12X degrees
- we have 12 months

Hell why not!

I'll tell you why not, and why would I go for hexadecimal system instead.

1. We don't have 12 fingers. We have 10 (usually). Okay you can put that thumbs are worth as two, but it's… Complicated to explain it to kids.
How about we say thumbs are worth a total of other fingers on that hand = 4? That way we can display 16 different numbers with our hands easily. I mean… Kids can. We could go more complicated putting a different prime number on each finger, but school kids? No. They need simple a thing.
So a dozen with fingers? Easy! Two thumbs and any other four fingers, right? :D

2. Hexadecimal system is practically upgraded binary system. Kids have two eyes, ears, hands, legs, etc. Okay some probably have three. But it's very easy to explain them what's 4, what's 8, what's… Dunno… 32.

3. Modern technology is all about binary system. On/Off. Easy for kids. And converting numbers from binary to hexadecimal and vice versa - can't be easier than it is.

4. Who ever said we have to make circle chunks with thirds? Why not use only halves? Why are 12 numbers on the clock when it can easily be redesigned into 16?

5. Why the number of months must be 12? Because astrologists said that? Wouldn't 8 be more than enough?

6. Oh, no, but old 12 hours of work and now 8 hours of work and then the case of 12 months would be ruined and EA CEO slavers would be furious if we even think about changes to the current form. Yea, well, I'm not sucking up to those animals. It's kids I'm thinking about, not corporate trolls.
You remind of a friend of mine who can only think in binary. For him, it is either "great" or "crap", there is nothing in between. I am therefore surprised to see you'd go for a hexadecimal system……I mean……let's be honest here……binary suits you much better ;).

I'd rather we redefine time and make everything metric.

No more 12 or 24 hours in a day; we'd have 10 hour days and nights, so noon is at 5.

I see a flaw in your system. One day would have 10 x 100 x 100 seconds but is better to remain consistent, like e.g. 1 day = 10 hours, 1 hour = 10 minutes and 1 minute = 10 seconds so we'd have 10 x 10 x 10.

But that would not give enough resolution so perhaps 100 x 100 x 100 is better.

However, since we are so accustomed to having prefix multipliers like "micro", "mili", "kilo" and "mega" that are factors of 1000, I think the best would be to have a 1000 x 1000 x 1000 system. So 1 = 1000 hours, 1 hour = 1000 minues and 1 minute = 1000 seconds.

A huge benefit is that we could simplify further and use a single term and then apply a prefix multiplier. So we could choose one of the following four:

1. nanoday - microday - miliday - day
2. microhour - milihour - hour - kilohour
3. miliminute - minute - kilominute - megaminute
4. second - kilosecond - megasecond - gigasecond

Regardless of what will be chosen, it is obvious that we are in desperate need of change if we wish to be taken seriously as a species :).

Last edited:
Nice,

They should make one of an atom.

From the nucleus through al the electron orbitals,
Also lots of empty space.

(Proffesional deformation, i am a chemist ;-) )

Back
Top Bottom