Gothic Stone Dragon

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
OK, I'm replaying G2 Gold after many years as a mage of course. Problem I'm having is that every spell I've tried on the stone dragon- fire, ice, lightning has done NO damage and my melee skills are very low (50 Str and 40 Dex). I've done the chat part, but I don't seem to be able to damage the beast. Any advice.

Unfortunately, summon demon is 5th level and you kill the dragons in chapter 4. Large FB, and Lightning are your 2 main spells, with Ice Lance a distant 3rd.

Can you obtain any copies of that scroll? Those aren't limited by your level, right? I definitely remember using that spell against at least one of the dragons, and I'm pretty sure I'm not thinking of the final one.

It's been almost 5 years since my last playthrough though… :embarrassed:

Again, unfortunately, scrolls are limited by level. I have lots of higher level scrolls, but they don't work!! It's been at least that long since my last playthrough, if not longer so I don't remember how I won those fights last time.

Ok, for some reason I thought you could still use higher level magic with a scroll. Perhaps I was thinking of Gothic 3.

It must have been the 'Create Stone Golem' spell that I used in Chapter 4. Try using that in conjunction with your ranged attacks.

OK, one question; where do I get a stone golem heart? I killed lots of stone golems, but none had a heart. :) You need it for the spell.

No, as a mage I didn't 'waste' any LP's on hunting skills. Plus I've killed all the stone golems on the way to the dragon. Any other ideas? :)

Usability of scrolls isn´t level/chapter restricted.
I´ve always used them as a mercenary, summon demon on stone dragon, shrink on the ice one (a fitting retort to his pompous speech), fire rain to dispatch the orcs guarding the Valley entrance for an early experience boost, etc.
It´s one thing which makes a mage class comparatively weaker than the other two.

I´m not sure if I remember this correctly, but to use a spell scroll you need to click on it in inventory to assign it a key first, say "5", leave inventory, then press "5" to make it active (shimmering effect occurs) and to finally cast it you have to either hold left mouse button or ctrl + up arrow.
Edit: Just realized casting from runes works the same, so this was most likely redundant to mention. But casting from scrolls really should work regardless level/chapter.

And yes, some hunting skills such as extract heart are good to have as a mage, though it´s possible some of the ingredients can be bought in later chapters, at least fire lizard tongues (for fire rain) can, iirc. I´m not sure about hearts (summon golem, summon demon) or troll tusks (shrink).

Last edited:
Funny, I tried to cast a high level scroll and it didn't work. I'll try again. All ingredients except hearts I have found throughout the game. Mages are a challenge, but I like them. You just can't waste LP's though, as you need so many not only for the spells/runes, but also for mana which gets expensive to raise.

You definitely need that hunting skill to find hearts. Are you sure you completely wiped out all the Stone Golems? If so, it still might be worth getting that skill to learn 'Summon Demon' for Chapter 5.

Oh yes, the only thing left alive up there is the dragon!! :) Who teaches that skill? Anyone remember?

Grom, near Onar's Farm I believe. There's also a hunter in the Valley of Mines that teaches it, but I don't remember where.

Back
Top Bottom