South Park - Why isn't Cartman funny?

I DESPISED the soul eater mechanic.

^ that. Reason why I never got to finish MotB. I never really liked Obsidian games... they really need to learn to produce properly polished products.

I like Obsidian - Alpha Protocol, New Vegas, MotB. Especially New Vegas, the best RPG of its type IMO. Infuses the mechanics of Fallout 3 with much needed intelligence and interesting characters. As for the soul eater mechanic in MotB, I found it quite easy to keep in check if you were smart about it.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to be on the side of Obsidian over Troika. Blech.

Arcanum - interesting, and I enjoyed it, but not a favorite game by any stretch of the imagination
ToEE - I want to like it, I do. But I can't. And I've tried playing it ALOT. There are plenty of mechanics in it that I do like, even if I cannot stand 3E D&D rules. But the game is a slow, plodding, tedious mess.
V:TM-B - Okay, this is an awesome game and one of my favorites. But one out of three isn't a good rate.

Meanwhile, Obsidian has given me New Vegas + most of it's DLC (Dead Money and Old World Blues, especially), NWN 2 and MotB (and, again, me liking those despite hating 3E D&D plus having really disliked NWN as a whole, is saying something), and especially Alpha Protocol (one of my favorite games ever, right up there with V:TM-B)… and I even liked KotOR 2 at least as much, if not more, than Arcanum. (KotOR 2's ending is a mess and disappointing, but arguably so is Arcanum's.)

It's fine that people don't like Obsidian, or South Park. :) I do.

And Trey and Matt have only let me down once. I didn't find Team America the least bit fun nor funny.

---

As for the Soul Eater mechanic... seriously, all the BS of 3E D&D rules and that little contrivance bothers you? That bothers you and you like the magic/tech conflict in Arcanum, say?

The Soul Eater mechanic is such a non-issue and yet some people have treated it like the 3 colors of ME3 ending. Whatever.

Arcanum - interesting, and I enjoyed it, but not a favorite game by any stretch of the imagination
ToEE - I want to like it, I do. But I can't. And I've tried playing it ALOT. There are plenty of mechanics in it that I do like, even if I cannot stand 3E D&D rules. But the game is a slow, plodding, tedious mess.
V:TM-B - Okay, this is an awesome game and one of my favorites. But one out of three isn't a good rate.

I loved what they tried to do with Arcanum - and I loved the mechanics, even if it was an unbalanced mess.

ToEE took the most hollow of all D&D modules - and yet they managed to incorporate enough old-school charm into the game to make what's basically an unfinished tactical combat simulator into something memorable, if not all that good.

Bloodlines > Anything Obsidian ever did.

Meanwhile, Obsidian has given me New Vegas + most of it's DLC (Dead Money and Old World Blues, especially), NWN 2 and MotB (and, again, me liking those despite hating 3E D&D plus having really disliked NWN as a whole, is saying something), and especially Alpha Protocol (one of my favorite games ever, right up there with V:TM-B)… and I even liked KotOR 2 at least as much, if not more, than Arcanum. (KotOR 2's ending is a mess and disappointing, but arguably so is Arcanum's.)

FO:NV = Dreary, clunky, buggy and ugly. Writing was good, though.

KotOR = Dreary, unfinished, clunky and ugly. Writing was good, though.

Alpha = A joke.

NWN2 = Decent overall - but quite ugly, clunky, buggy and performing like a dog.

It's fine that people don't like Obsidian, or South Park. :) I do.

I don't dislike them - and I like most of their games despite the massive flaws. I just think they're overrated.

As for the Soul Eater mechanic… seriously, all the BS of 3E D&D rules and that little contrivance bothers you? That bothers you and you like the magic/tech conflict in Arcanum, say?

3.5 rules, to be exact. I love 3.5 - and Soul Eater wasn't a part of 3.5, which is why it should have been left out ;)

The Soul Eater mechanic is such a non-issue and yet some people have treated it like the 3 colors of ME3 ending. Whatever.

I found it to be extremely bad game design - but a somewhat novel idea.

Bloodlines > Anything Obsidian ever did.

Alpha = A joke.

3.5 rules, to be exact. I love 3.5 - and Soul Eater wasn't a part of 3.5, which is why it should have been left out ;)

See, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I love Bloodlines to death, but have play AP much more. And, more disclosure, I strongly dislike modern day setting, military storylines, and especially spy / epsionage stuff - so for AP to be a favorite means it has a lot of things that hit the exact right notes with me.

And don't get me started on 3E (and 3.5 and everything else WotC did to M:TG up D&D.) Just don't. None of us want to go there.

So it's cool you like Troika more. I actually am a big fan of what Troika tried to do. I just think, for me at least, Obsidian was much more successful at entertaining me. And, business-wise, they are still around.

Doesn't mean I'm not eagerly anticipating Dead State.

——

But, c'mon, no one else here thinks attributing Jade Empire to Obsidian makes that YouTube video creator lose all credibility? ;)

KotOR = Dreary, unfinished, clunky and ugly. Writing was good, though.

I'll be sure to remember this the next time you're trying to convince me how great that series is. ;)

See, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I love Bloodlines to death, but have play AP much more. And, more disclosure, I strongly dislike modern day setting, military storylines, and especially spy / epsionage stuff - so for AP to be a favorite means it has a lot of things that hit the exact right notes with me.

I can respect if it's your opinion that Obsidian > Troika, but if you're trying to claim that Alpha Protocol is on the same level as Vampire: Bloodlines… I want some of whatever you've been smoking. :)

I can respect if it's your opinion that Obsidian > Troika, but if you're trying to claim that Alpha Protocol is on the same level as Vampire: Bloodlines… I want some of whatever you've been smoking. :)

Obsidian entertained me more, and is still in business, so I guess by that measurement, yeah, better.

As for what I was smoking?

Sweet, sweet choice & consequence.

Inmy mind they're something likethis...
Troika: great very buggy games
Obsidian: great very incomplete games.

welp, humor isn't exactly Obsidian's forte.

And it doesn't get funnier just by slapping the South Park monicker on it

Even if it was I don't think you can just take over someone else's characters and have it be the same.

Just seems all around like the most terrible game idea ever. Maybe it would work out if matt and trey did the writing but looks like that's not the case.

If Matt and Trey are doing the voice acting, which I imagine is the case, they probably wouldn't read dialogue that they think sucks. I'm pretty sure they are involved.

Oh, and yeah, that guy sucks for thinking Obsidian did Jade Empire. How did he get that idea?

Obsidian is my favorite developer. Troika was pretty darn good too. I can't believe I am hearing some RPG "fans" bashing on Obsidian.

Back
Top Bottom