EuroGamer - A New F2P Dragon Age Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Eurogamer posts that EA will be publishing a new free-to-play Dragon Age game for mobile phones.

Dragon Age publisher EA has announced Heroes of Dragon Age, a new combat-focused free-to-play mobile spin-off set in the world of BioWare's RPG series.

Heroes of Dragon Age is being developed by EA Capital Games, one of the publisher's mobile-focused studios.

You'll be able to build a party of heroes and monsters from (presumably random and paid-for) packs of new fighters.

These characters and critters will "span Dragon Age lore", EA has promised - so look out for familiar faces from the console games so far.

Other Heroes of Dragon Age details such as a release date or launch platforms are still scarce. EA describes it as a "cross-platform" title though, so releases on at least iPhone and Android look likely.
More information.

Last edited:
If this game earns more money than DA3... <shudder>

Grrr... what GIVES with all this mobile phone trash? I never did play a mobile game and I never WILL. Use your time for REAL games!

/vomit

It's the EA way to make decisions that make players cringe. Par for the course.

Actually it is the game makers fault that most mobile games are trash and not the platform since there are some good mobile phone games and also you can play ports of some good classic rpgs on mobile phones.

If publishers and creators make money with it, who can blame them? If people buy this crap and are satisfied and entertained, who can blame them?

There are and will be enough games released/developed for PC, we are in no threat of not getting our share of the fun. Especially with indie developers getting a larger share of the cake when the bigger players move (slowly) to another field.

Nothing new here.
Sims Freeplay earned a lot and EA wants some more milk. To make anything significant in that Sims free2play game (free my arse) you have to buy something called Sims points or whatnot (check Origin store for it).

Do reviewers tell this to the audience? Of course NOT!
Here's an example, they rated the game 5/5:
http://www.gamezebo.com/games/sims-freeplay/review
Five of five for a game that is an obvious fraud and a reason not to buy a smartphone to your kid. Will someone stop those frauds already?

Me? I'm not p(l)aying this!

I don't mind this, the regular dragon age games suck now so maybe they can make something fun on the mobile platform.

If not I won't play it either.

It's official-- I'm too old and spoiled. I have zero interest in any of these types of games, and I pity folks who think games that you can play on smart phones or current tablets are fun. I've so moved on from 1990's gaming tech.

Now... Maybe things will change in a few years when the PC dies and I'll have no choice, but for now I just get depressed when I see announcements like this. This is "the future".

It's not the future. At one time milking subscription MMOs seemed like a future, yet today tell me how many of those exist.

The future is returning to the roots. Pay once, play till you die. Pay more only for full expansion or a prequel/sequel, not for cut-out content.

While I personally despise those pay2win-type games, I can't really blame EA for doing this if they make money with it. If someone is to blame, then it's the customers who buy into that crap.

Micropayments is the route EA seems to go nowadays.

I was wondering if this was Bioware Sacramento, aka KlickNation. It is, and internally they still call it KlickNation (apparently EA calls Mark Otero Yoghurt Man).

I met Otero and a host of employees when they came to my University to promote working there for him. So I'm always interested when something comes up about them. In confirming this was the same company I found this article:

http://www.sidequesting.com/2013/06/report-claims-of-criminality-at-bioware-sacramento/

which summarizes this EA_Spouse like post on Reddit

www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/1gk992/the_truth_behind_mark_otero_and_klicknation/

the contents of which can still be found here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1gk8fj/the_truth_behind_mark_otero_and_klicknation/

When Otero came to my University he was waxing on with his head in the clouds about what it means to be rich and pointed out an example of a user paying $200000 for a 1/10000 chance to win an in game weapon.

In Q&A I had pointed out that the Feds shut down all the major Poker sites recently and froze their assets. He quickly answered that it wasn't gambling because no real item was exchanged and quickly took another question before I could point out the same thing was argued by the Poker sites.

The funny thing is now I know two employees who work(ed?) there, including an intern. I'll have a good laugh if I find out he didn't get paid.

Surprising he got away with this - Overtime Exempt AND verbal promises of stock options that were tantamount to dozens of dollars. Where have we heard this before?

Well hey, if they can make money doing this then I'm not seeing a problem. Good luck to them.

Every new EA game (for mobile at least) will be 'free', and they will increasingly adopt the Japan/Korea model of really difficult games with required in-app purchases.

Sad thing for me reading the Plants vs. Zombies 2 reviews is that people are just fine with this crap … whereas I have had to put the game down several times because the 'money game' gets so annoying.

I don't blame them for doing this, they are a company and companies try to make money. I won't play their games though, and hopefully very few others do so it eventually goes away.

I don't blame them for doing this, they are a company and companies try to make money. I won't play their games though, and hopefully very few others do so it eventually goes away.

It is already proven that EA is making more money on App Store than anywhere else.

So ... iDragon Age Free-to-Play making more than Dragon Age 3? Absolutely guaranteed.

I blame them for the way they make their money: in game lotteries.

Also, if even half of what the Reddit post says about the company (overtime exempt, unpaid unregistered internships that were fired outright, using pirated and student version software, copying Marvel and DC IP outright), then I have even more of a problem with them.

Like I said, I personally met this guy.

Back
Top Bottom