Pricewatch!

It's like a much more elaborate version of Pirates or Elite, set in medieval times with medieval themes.

For my part, I think it's a fantastic game - but it lacks that all important aspect known as a reason to go on with it. A story would help tremendously - or a campaign multiplayer mode.

Incidentally, the games it mostly resembles in terms of overall gameplay paradigm - all had the same issues. Like Pirates, Elite, Frontier, Sea Dogs and so on.

Daggerfall is another game it brings to mind, though that one did have a story.

Thanks for the comparisons. Although I'm not overly familiar with any of those games except for Daggerfall. It sounds like a big sandbox without much story to speak of.

I might check out the demo later.

That's some hefty praise. :)

I've never played Warband, and I only played an early beta of the original M&B years ago. What games would you compare them to in terms of role-playing or gameplay in general?

Just like DArtagnan said and it is very hard to compare as it is unique. As far as story goes, it is up to you to make your story and make events happen tailored around your own story: you can be peasant looking to be a king (through money, allegances including marriages, or brute force), you can be feared bandit with no allegances, you can be a trader roaming around or looking to buy and develop villages. All of these features are not just tacked on but perfectly balanced: there is a fully functioning trading system with prices going up and down and merchandise available only in certain regions, you can open up businesses (making bread, smithing .. etc.). Even marriage, you have to befriend the lady, meet her expectations through her family and your deeds before she accepts you. You can have casltes to maintain .. etc, convoys .. etc.

As far as rpg elements, you have:
- character creation: male/female, background, detailed looks (in my view much more detailed and satisfying than any of the Bethesda games - I have made my avatar with this system!).
- character stats, skills and attributes to upgrade when you level up
- huge array of weapons to select with stats
- companions (that sometimes fight amongst each other) and you can set their hardware and upgrade their skills and attributes
- there are quests that you can follow
- trading system

I have not even mentioned the combat, the ability to create your own army, control their formation in real time during battles and the best melee system that I have seen so far, which is convenient for beginners (like myself) and advanced gamers.

As I said, it is really unique and a sort of a historical rpg/simulation.

It would look strange at the beginning, but once you learn the mechanics and start up your first recruits then you will be in for a huge, tasty treat!

Incidentally, the games it mostly resembles in terms of overall gameplay paradigm - all had the same issues. Like Pirates, Elite, Frontier, Sea Dogs and so on.

Daggerfall is another game it brings to mind, though that one did have a story.

Actually there is a story in Sea Dogs. You just have to find it like in Privateer for example. ;)
But Sea Dogs was buggy as hell. It was fun at first, but then often crashes and bugged quests simply made me furious. Dunno if the last patch helped it, I just uninstalled it back then and never returned to it.
Not just that game, but seems that all Akella RPGs are bug-o-rama never patched completely for whatever reason.
Oh and since this is pricewatch... Check it's price here - I can't recomend buying it now at all:
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dogs-Pc/dp/B000051SGS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334935653&sr=8-2

Yes, trust your eyes!

The whole Mount and Blade franchise is on Steam for 7.50!
All the spellforce II games on sale at GOG for dirt cheap! 5 bucks apiece!

Steam has Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine at -66% off today ($10.19). That sale ends in about 16 hours.

Serious Sam 3: BFE is also on sale at -66% ($13.60). That sale is good until April 30th. Very solid game if you like first-person shooters.

Steam has Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine at -66% off today ($10.19). That sale ends in about 16 hours.
Or, if you're unlucky enough to live in NZ... $US30.59! (WTF?)

Still, you can buy it at Impulsedriven (I mean - Gamestop) for $US14.99 and then just use the code to dload it from Steam... which makes the whole territory thing a bit silly really.

Serious Sam 3: BFE is also on sale at -66% ($13.60). That sale is good until April 30th. Very solid game if you like first-person shooters.

In a related note, Serious Sam 3 was just released for the Mac - and supports Steamworks and Steam Play - so your PC purchase is also a Mac purchase. Love that. Same for The Darkness II, one of the most under-rated shooters of the year IMO.

A new Indie gala has been released. This one contains:
A.R.E.S: Extinction Agenda. A nice (though relatively short) 2d platformer.
Alien Shooter: An isometric action game, where you shoot lots of aliens (as in stupid amounts of aliens)
and a secret bonus game, that will be revealed next week.

Also, pay more than average and you will get:
Disciples 2: Gallean's Return (Contains the core game, and two expansions). A TBS that has a slightly different take on the HoMM/AoW-style of gameplay.
Altitude: A multiplayer side scrolling air combat game (that makes a point of comparing itself to the Modern Warfare series)
And two more bonus games that will appear next week, one of which will be Wake.

Ben there, Dan that! and Time Gentlemen, Please! are 80% off on steam right now. While the screenshots might make the games look horrible, they are actually pretty fun. A nice homage to the old Lucas Arts adventure games.

not that ill be getting it but newegg has max payne 3 for 47.99 with shipping included for pre-order

I like this name of a busioness/shop called "NewEgg". ;)

Alpha Protocol
is currently 80% off on Gamer's Gate. While the game is somewhat buggy and some gameplay mechanics are less then stellar (and the first mission is rather bland), Alpha Protocol is a shining example of how to do choices and consequences in a semi-linear game, and a game that I think is well worth playing through more than once.

Great game. It takes some time to accept that it's not a 3rd person shooter though. The bugs aren't that much of a problem. I guess I only noticed 2 or 3 serious ones.

Back
Top Bottom