Bethesda Softworks - New Game This E3?

So much negativity for a company that has done so much for the gaming community. People seriously need to get out more often and stop being so jaded.

Todd, don't you know, being jaded and cynical is the "in" thing to do right now!! :rolleyes:

I'm hoping for a new Elder Scrolls. Black Marsh, please!

Admittedly, I didn't put nearly as much time into Skyrim as I did Morrowind and Oblivion, and at least half of my play time (200 hours) were with mods, but I had a fair amount of fun.

Last edited:
Bethesda took big risks creating RPGs at the scale of Oblivion and Skyrim. I doubt we would have the selection of games we do today those huge successes. They created open world gaming (or made it mainstream) for better or worse.

Bethesda took big risks creating RPGs at the scale of Oblivion and Skyrim. I doubt we would have the selection of games we do today those huge successes. They created open world gaming (or made it mainstream) for better or worse.

I don't know… I think Morrowind was a much bigger risk. Since Morrowind ended up doing well, Oblivion already had a pretty good chance for success as its sequel, and Skyrim was set up to do even better as TES became more popular and mainstream.

Open world gaming was around long before Bethesda. All they did was change the way it was being viewed.

What surprises me is that nobody has had the guts to try and copy their success. The closest try was The Witcher 3, but it was a one off attempt. It didn't come close to the success of Skyrim but it is a great game with great success too and I had high hopes that other studios would attempt to up the ante. So disappointed that this didn't happen. Maybe Dragon's Dogma was an attempt? It had some decent elements. Two Worlds would also be an attempt on the formula, but it just seems so few have tried. I'd love it if Bethesda allowed Arcane to resurrect, Arx Fatalis.

What surprises me is that nobody has had the guts to try and copy their success. The closest try was The Witcher 3…
You know I can't agree on this.
TW3 is more similar to Bioware style even with amount of tits&boobs than to nostory buged grindy mess. ;)

When it comes to copying, wasn't some game out there successful also without a story? Warband or something like that, it even has a sequel or some DLC whatnot… I know I refused to buy it, but many here did.

They should be at the point in their dev cycle where Starfield would be released this year. They are definitely announcing something big because otherwise there would be no show as they are announcing things like the next ESO expansion way before E3. I know it's popular for the internet hipster hater crowd to mock Bethesda for whatever reason, but they've still made some of the best games in the rpg genre and I've sunk more hours into many single Bethesda games than many other companies entire libraries combined and I'm excited to see what they do with a sci-fi concept.

What surprises me is that nobody has had the guts to try and copy their success.

huh?

Everyone is doing it. Some started after Oblivion/Fallout 3, but the bulk conversation was post-Skyrim.

The issue is that none of them but Bethesda understand how to make that type of open world works. Ubisoft is too focused on achievements and collectibles, EA doesn't have the talents or passion and the others are too focused on pre-canned linear storytelling full of cutscenes.

Dang, I need to stop talking about, the more I talk the more I want a new single player TES game.

They should be at the point in their dev cycle where Starfield would be released this year.
Wow, that completely went under my radar. Intruguing indeed!

Open world gaming was around long before Bethesda. All they did was change the way it was being viewed.

Agreed, and in many ways it hasn't made a positive impact on the industry. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of open world games in existence by now, many of which contain very little "meaningful" content.

I'm all for open world, as long as it's interesting to explore. For example, I don't find the tenth Oblivion Gate all that enjoyable to trek through, nor would I venture down the tenth dungeon that doesn't serve a purpose other than to kill some time.

I think Oblivion and Skyrim's success certainly changed the way mainstream consumers viewed open world games, both for the better and for the worse. But I think it could stand to make major improvements by adopting ideas from other games, like the Yakuza series.

Yakuza? Isn't that an ancient dice game? I've never heard of this. Ok, it's a japanese gang that cuts off their own fingers. That does sound like an interesting game....

Man…
It's not Hollywood silly stuff.

Yakuza games are certain Sega series available only on everything that's not PC, read phones, handhelds, tablets, consoles and other garbage. At least once I wrote on this very forum that we need Yakuza 0 ported on PC, perhaps also both Yakuza Kiwamis.
It's openworld, it's not huge but small, yet it's dense with crapload of activities. Activities that don't feel meaningless.
While we had Gothic 2 on PC, a small yet rich openworld, Nintendo audience got them Yakuza.

Would you play it on PC? Can't know, our taste is different, you adore random generators, I can't stand them.
So do please watch this review, feel free to spit on me if that review wasted your 30 minutes:

As you may see, Yakuza is totally different design from TES games.

Yakuza? Isn't that an ancient dice game? I've never heard of this. Ok, it's a japanese gang that cuts off their own fingers. That does sound like an interesting game….
Yakuza played basicially like a GTA/Shenmue hybrid. The game was first released on the PS2 and is nearing it's end with the sixth release. Here are the various titles.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza_(series)

Yakuza played basicially like a GTA/Shenmue hybrid. The game was first released on the PS2 and is nearing it's end with the sixth release. Here are the various titles.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza_(series)

Yep, anyone who plays this should be aware that it has a very Japanese flavor to it, sometimes it will not be as comfortable to north american standards.

Yakuza is pretty much the Japanese version of Grand Theft Auto (without the Auto), you're a member of the Yakuza and do shit all over town with lots of game systems. Also, the one I played (don't remember if 4 or 5) has several interrelated storylines, like you play chapter 1 as X and interact with some people, then chapter 2 you're character Y (one of the people you interacted with maybe), chapter 3 is another person, chapter 4 is back to X, etc. Don't know if that's a staple of the series or just that particular game.

You can play it in PC if you get Playstation Now, Yakuza 4 and 5 are there.

It's openworld, it's not huge but small, yet it's dense with crapload of activities. Activities that don't feel meaningless.
As you may see, Yakuza is totally different design from TES games.

Exactly. In regards to an open world with meaningful tasks, that's where I think Yakuza shines. I'd take a smaller gameworld with varied but interesting quests to do over a huge gameworld with repetitious busywork any day. That's what Bethesda should be taking notes on, in my opinion. I still think their games are capable of providing me many hours of fun, though.

Yakuza/Elder Scrolls have different core concepts as they are entirely different games, but when it comes to open world, Yakuza does it right.

But that's simply what I prefer, anyway.

huh?

Everyone is doing it. Some started after Oblivion/Fallout 3, but the bulk conversation was post-Skyrim.

The issue is that none of them but Bethesda understand how to make that type of open world works. Ubisoft is too focused on achievements and collectibles, EA doesn't have the talents or passion and the others are too focused on pre-canned linear storytelling full of cutscenes.

Dang, I need to stop talking about, the more I talk the more I want a new single player TES game.

They are vastly different. Ubisoft is more a tourist experience with impeccable detail and historic recreation. Far Cry/MGSV very open level design with conquer the compound style of gameplay. Rockstar delivers on "activities" ( mentioned Yakuza is similar). CDPR is open world storytelling oriented. Etc, etc.
Nearly all were figured out way before Oblivion/Skyrim.

Bethesda is more player customization/LARPing + core loop of: Explore (dungeon/locale)+Loot+Craft/"Sims elements".

It's closer to Conan Exiles ( from what I've seen) and other survival games than other open world-ers. ( and Bethesda games are actually linear, they simply have a lot of disconnected linear quests, locations ( when it comes to exploring + level scaling allowing you to tackle it whenever you want ) and factions

It's not a bad concept ( even if not actual roleplaying), but they need to improve their core elements here:

- fix combat, since exploration/everything revolves around it
- make dungeons/locales more unique and integrated into world, logically, contributing to worldbuilding ( like Skyrim's dungeons being designed around world's history and lore)
- balancing across the board, so loot and progression feel worthwhile for a longer period of time

Playstation Now
Just don't please.
We're living in time when good and great RPGs are being released weekly on PC thus there is zero reason to pay even a dime to Sony for their milking schemes.
Besides, after immense success of Valkyria Chronicles on PC, a game I just can't praise enough, a game that was initially a pearl thrown to pigs who couldn't appreciate it, Sega is porting their other titles to PC like crazy. PC audience cares.
Unless there is some contract with Sony that prevents it from happening we'll see Yakuza games with option to disable motion blur, with 60FPS, etc very soon.

There is only one openworld on playstation DRM online with crap hardware business model we won't see easily on PC where it'd sell even more millions of copies: HZD. While PS4 emulator is in works I don't think it'll reach functional state soon. Ah well. Sony's loss.
Note that HZD openworld design is also totally different from TES/FO3-4.

there is zero reason to pay even a dime to Sony for their milking schemes.

6jZmVW0.gif

But joke is on me. I still have 2 Playstations.

I never upgraded my house when I moved on to better jobs, so I don't have room for the consoles. Main reason I don't have any.

Just don't please.
We're living in time when good and great RPGs are being released weekly on PC thus there is zero reason to pay even a dime to Sony for their milking schemes.

It's ok, it requires a controller so you wouldn't use it anyway, but for the rest of the people that don't have controller-phobia, it is a great option. $8.50/month and you get instant access to over 500 games with 10 or so more added every month.

Back
Top Bottom