General News - The best RPGs of all Time

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
What do we do against the summer slump? We present you another top RPG list - this time henriquejr spotted one on PC Gamer:

The best RPGs on PC

The best RPGs on PC guarantee hundreds of hours of adventure in one of the PC's essential genres.

The best RPGs on PC can deliver hundreds of hours of adventure. Since tabletop RPGs first started getting the digital treatment, the genre has grown into an intimidating, massive beast. Many of the best RPGs you can play on PC are of the action variety, hailing from the explosive years of 3D RPGs like Oblivion. More recently, classic style RPGs like Pillars of Eternity with closer ties to their tabletop roots have seen a resurgence in popularity. Our list of the best RPGs on PC have something to scratch your roleplay itch whether you prefer fast-paced swordplay or more methodical turn-based games.

The RPG genre is tough to boil down: by the most literal definition, every game is a role-playing game. This list represents our best definition of the canonical RPG--games that likely emphasize story; that let you inhabit a customizable character through skill points, inventory, and dialogue decisions; that include complex, controllable relationships with companions or non-playable characters. Drawing these kinds of lines helps us provide a better service to you, we hope--though we've made some exceptions where we think it's worth it.

[...]

More information.

So sick of seeing Mass Effect 2 make these lists. It's absolutely nowhere near as good as the first installment.

Neither should any FF game. Yet at least one is added there.

Anyway, it's PCG's list so oddly they didn't fill it with mmos only instead of proper RPGs.

Erm… not sure if this is a new article, I noticed this in the comments:

Zloth • 2 years ago • edited
Anachronox - that seems like pushing it. It's got some good stuff in it (especially the first planet) but I sure got bored after that. There's not enough jokes to cover weak gameplay.
I would put Drakensang: River of Time above it for sure. Saints Row: The Third, too, if you call that an RPG. Seems to fit the definition you're using well enough, even if it doesn't call itself an RPG.

I think you've all been duped.

It's a list PCG edits with adding new entries and removing obsolete ones annually.
Of course you'll see ancient comments on it.

I see. So how do we know what got added and what got deleted so that we can add meaningful discourse?

I also noticed that PCGamer is owned by the same company who owns Kotaku. Probably not relevant, but I wonder if they have similar lists.

I have no idea who is owner of each, but Kotaku is very different from PCG.
Unlike PCG's shills for mmos and phoneware, Kotaku in general is obsessed with junk gadgetery, kindergarden aesthetics and political correctness.
You'll find some good articles now and then on each, but the amount of trash that burries those good articles is huge on both.

No Wizardry, Gold Box, or Might & Magic titles? Somehow Tyranny made the list? That's insane.

No Wizardry, Gold Box, or Might & Magic titles? Somehow Tyranny made the list? That's insane.

I think it goes without saying that they have a huge boner for Obsidian. Even Stick of Truth makes the list, LOL.

Some of these lists are simply beyond absurd, and this one is one of those. There are just too many acknowledged classics that aren't even mentioned.

Obvious clickbait. It won't bait me. The best RPGs of all history are the ones that I decide since I don't give a shit about what anyone else thinks and I' don't need anyone to agree with me to quench my insecurity on whether my choices are popular or not.

You know I liked the witcher 3 - never finished it, but I didn't mind it, but is it truly a RPG? I mean what role do you get to play? Geralt?! And how many roles or ways to play it are there? I kinda found it a little RPG light, but still in the genre. Any thoughts?

Was tyranny any good? Never got it! I don't usually like playing a bad guy.
The list is very eclectic! Seems like they are trying to please everyone with that list, and pleasing no one probably lol!

All of the Obsidian games are in the list :rolleyes: talk about biased list.

Was tyranny any good? Never got it! I don't usually like playing a bad guy.
The list is very eclectic! Seems like they are trying to please everyone with that list, and pleasing no one probably lol!

im deep into Tyranny right now, and lovin it.
The magic system is great, basically building spells w/ different sigils to varying types and degrees of effect.

It isnt necessarily chaotic evil that the game encourages, you can play more of a Lawful Evil type of gameplay. You are a judge, of sorts. The lore and world really sucked me in, i like the artwork a lot too. Medieval deco :)

it’s an entertaining list for sure - Sunless Sea?

thanks! nice to see lots of familiar faces (er, avatars) still here

Ive been getting my gaming on lately, once i started doing the RPG thing again i couldnt resist poking my head back into “RPG Central” .

Imho the list is decent. Starts with several modern RPGs which you could proably recommend to "new players", and lots of the old classics later on, which might be a bit hard to get into these days.
Ofc I don't really agree with all the entries. Sunless Sea for example isn't really anything I'd put on such a list. I also played Anachronox and I found it just blegh.

While Darkest Dungeon is certainly an awesome game, I am not sure if I'd classify it as RPG. Well, compared to that I'd definitely call Mass Effect 2 an RPG though. :p

So sick of seeing Mass Effect 2 make these lists. It's absolutely nowhere near as good as the first installment.

I actually liked Mass Effect 2 quite a lot, and much more than the first installment, which still had several mechanics which did't contribute anything to the game but being able to mark some checkboxes like "has inventory". Is it useful and fun? Nope, but it has it!
So while "fixing" it would have been a better choice, just removing it, was imho better than just keeping it as it was.

I also noticed that PCGamer is owned by the same company who owns Kotaku. Probably not relevant, but I wonder if they have similar lists.

They are not owned by the same company at all. Kotaku was originally created by Gawker Media, which went bankrupt in 2016 and now it's owned by Univision (which owns the Gizmodo Media Group, Kotaku is a part of that). PCGamer is published and owned by a British company called Future PLC.

Back
Top Bottom