What MMORPG should I play?

Nice! Northcotton is new. It used to be a barren hillside lol. It's great though. Grab them chickens!

Just finished up the first few quests in the Trollshaws. Had to get another person to help with the troll slaying quest but we did it pretty easily. Fun stuff.

I can see why everyone prefers Evendim. Evendim is like easy street compared to the Trollshaws.

Trolls are signature from what I can tell. I can't solo them, though, and I'm level 34.

Actually, I haven't tried soloing them, so I might be able to. Not sure.

I couldn't solo the few small fellowship quests at the beginning of the Trollshaws, either. Had to get some help with them. I hear the whole region is heavy on the group content.

There are different trolls in different areas so thats awfully general. They havent nerfed the game, there are plenty of places to die. I've always been able to solo trolls with a hunter as long as you are careful on aggro and use traps, class skills like pinning etc. Oh and nothing wrong with running ;). Fluent if you are human did you get the Strength of Morale race trait? Aka the panic button 2-3k morale boost? Are you eating rations before combat? You've never said whether you are slotting deeds (see a bard). They are critical prior to Legendaries.

Don't think I have Strength of Morale yet. I'm only level 35. I'm eating rations and trail food and using fire oils. Starting to use bow chants but I don't have many so I save them for tougher fights. I'm slotting deeds and keeping up with all that. I'm VIP now so I have all the traits unlocked.

I'm dying a lot in the Trollshaws. It's definitely not easy. One wrong pull and you're in trouble, especially at level 34-35. I tried to do a level 38 quest and got slaughtered by a lizard. Had to turn back it was too tough.

Finally making it to Rivendell was incredible. It was a very memorable journey.

Fire lizard? Maybe your tactical mitigation is low. That happened to me in Angmar with Calindorr. I could solo a 9000m grunt and but die fighting a 6000m Fire Drake. Btw SoM trait is level 35. Kill some hillmen to start the deed series. Well worth it.

Hillmen like those found in Garth Agarwen? When I killed one of them, a novice, it started a deed for a different trait. A really nice trait, too, but not SoM.

Emnity of the Hillmen gives Balance of Man (good defense bonuses). Emnity of the Hillmen II gives Strength of Morale. Moar Hillmen lol

So glad I became a VIP. Being able to hit different zones for different quests is a godsend. I'm currently back in Evendim doing some level 36 stuff. Hit the North Downs for a quick quest, and once I level up to about 38 or 39 it's back to the Trollshaws.

This game, man, unreal. One of the best games I've ever played.

Indeed. Just did the Grand Stair in Moria which was very different for me. It was a large fellowship with significant planning. The final boss had 110,000 morale. We lost 4 in process lol. There were 2 85's in the group too. Moria is huge. Like 3-4 regions worth of content. I've been in here for almost a week now playing till 4am with my Aussie buddy daily. The content goes on and on and the quality is unreal.

The quality is unreal, and the exposition and lore is just crazy.

Still in Evendim at level 37. Just trying to hit around 40 so I can return to the Trollshaws. I'm liking Evendim a lot more than I thought I would. Thinking about a big lake, seemed kind of boring, but it's far from boring. It's really beautiful seeing that DX11 water and that awesome landscape. Tons of cool quests, too. Very well put together zone. I can see why everyone loves it.

Why don't you guys start your own dedicated LoTR thread? We DDO players have a couple. I'd be interested to hear from someone who has played both recently how they compare since they are both Turbine games.

I didn't thought LOTR is such a good game. I heard about it, but I've never read any reviews. So it seem i have one more games in my have-to-play list ;)

I tried Warcraft and it barely entertained me for 5 days. 15 yrs later and I'm still playing Everquest. I honestly don't see how anyone could prefer Warcraft over some of the less cartoony options out there, let alone how simplistic it was compared to many other choices.

Can someone point me to a summary of what content you get for free with LOTRO/ what's added in the expansions?

You get to level 30 for free pretty much, then after that you have to start purchasing content. The expansions like Moria take you from level 50-60 and then there's expansions after that that take you even further.

You can earn TP (Turbine Points) completing deeds. With TP you can buy content. The amount of "earned" TP is reasonable. The Free2Play model of LOTRO is one of the best. That's what people say.

Lotro has Store-buttons pinned to your interface in practically every menu you go into. I'd hardly call that one of the best F2P models. F2P should be transparent, not a constant in-your-face advertisement to bypass gameplay by purchasing unrestricted travel access, crafting ingredients, and character stat points.

City of Heroes, on the other hand, did F2P wonderfully. The store was practically invisible to those who didn't want to opt into it.

Back
Top Bottom