Torment: Tides of Numenera - Update #16, Final Hours

I missed the part where they said that those (Kickstarter generated) funds didn't count toward the stretch goals, which is a shame, as it was part of their lure for Kickstarter funding. Had I seen that earlier, I would have been far more nervous about making the goals that they did hit. I do disagree, however, with the statement "All the money is going towards the development of the game, that's what is important here". While I do agree that it is important, what is also important is community enthusiasm, and continued support (be it ideas, funding or word of mouth). Added features, presented as future possibilities, can only add value to that process. Thus, I hope they decide to add them in. Stated otherwise or not, the Kickstarter did, indeed, break 4.5M, with those added funds.

First of all you're factually wrong in saying that the money from Fargo and Dengler was generated by Kickstarter. It wasn't. Second, they said from the start that that $200k would not count towards achieving stretch goals. The stretch goals were designated with that money already factored in. It also provides a sort of insurance against failed pledges and to offset some of the KS and amazon fees.

Finally, the money is going towards added features. What difference would it have made if they counted that money towards stretch goals, but then increased the amounts for the stretch goals by $200k? Or would you prefer they just promise all the goals for less funding, and then risk not delivering or having to do it half-arsed?

I think it's wonderful that they reached the 4.25 goal, that was the maximum I though was achievable, and they actually got there. Stretchgoals have, by their nature, be designed so that there is always a next one - otherwise people would not be enticed to pledge to reach them. So you'll never see all stretch goals met - they'll just add another two if that is about to happen :)

I think it's wonderful that they reached the 4.25 goal, that was the maximum I though was achievable, and they actually got there. Stretchgoals have, by their nature, be designed so that there is always a next one - otherwise people would not be enticed to pledge to reach them. So you'll never see all stretch goals met - they'll just add another two if that is about to happen :)

Yeah, stretch goal are just like WoW gear grind and for exactly the same reasons.

Yes but I'd still want to have a player stronghold more than some other goals. Then again, an add-on with it is very possible after sales.

I'm sure there will be a post about this shortly, but this just in from the latest update:

Many backers have asked about the “Stronghold” that was at the $4.5M Stretch Goal, however. At your request and suggestion, what we’ll do is allow all PayPal contributions through the end of April to count toward determining whether or not we reached this goal. On Monday, we’ll tell you exactly how far we have left to go and through the end of the month we’ll provide more frequent updates on tumblr and Facebook about progress toward that $4.5M goal.

If we do make it by the end of April 30th, we’ll declare that final Stretch Goal achieved! In this case we would include the Stronghold, designing it to fit the flavor of Numenera and to fully support Torment’s themes and narrative.

Back
Top Bottom