Question about the Steam version of Heroes of Might & Magic III

Kelefane

Watchdog
Keep in mind, I have never played this game.

With that said, what is missing in the Steam version exactly? Just maps? Are units missing? Campaigns? Is what is missing needed? Is the game completeable without the expansions? Or is the game broke without them? Are they 100% needed?

What is in this current Steam version? How many hours of game play is this current Steam version?

Are there player made mods of the missing expansions anywhere to download that work with this Steam version of HOMM3?

Lastly, for anyone who has never even played this game before, will this Steam version be hours of fun for them?

Non biased answers please :)

Thanks.

Link to the Steam version of HOMM3 here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/297000/Heroes_of_Might__Magic_III__HD_Edition/

Get the GOG version. The Steam version lacks capability for add-ons and functionality for random map generation. Install HD pack after GOG purchase.

I already knew about the GOG version. I have Steam Wallet $$$ burning a hole in my pocket and was just curious whats up with this Steam version :)

What HD Mod does add that is of immense value is a lot of interface improvements, hotkeys, stack splitting, greatly improved hero trade screen, quick combat re-play etc.

So I'm guessing the Steam version is more or less extremely incomplete without the expansions huh?

It would be like buying the game back in 1999. No expansions and no random map generator. All the original maps and campaign is there. Don't think there are player made mods with the Steam version or player made maps.

There is still a lot of single player maps and the campaign is good in the original. I still would recommend the Steam version but the GOG version with the HD pack and Horn of the Abyss mod is money. Also, love the WOG mod.

I would get it and if you love it you can always go back to the GOG version. I took 3 days off of work when it came out in 1999 and loved every second of it.

HoMM3 without Armageddon's Blade is just not worth it. Get the "Complete" edition, as others have pointed out.

Beyond that, all the HoMMs are good, though none as good as 3. Even 5 and 6 are pretty decent, though neither will go down as classics.

If you want a good value-for-money TB bundle on Steam, I'd actually rather go for this one: http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/367/Age_of_Wonders_Franchise/

I think they're all fantastic, even though 3 was slightly below the legends before it.

how is the iPad version? would you guys recommend it over the steam release or the full game?

GoG version. And apply Wake of Gods.

Hated it. Was no challenge at all. Maybe it gets better later on - I stoppped after the first two maps. I'd have to check an old save (if i still have it) to see what the difficulty was. Hero iii was great; haven't played 4 yet.

What are your thoughts HOMM V?

Hated it. Was no challenge at all. Maybe it gets better later on - I stoppped after the first two maps. I'd have to check an old save (if i still have it) to see what the difficulty was. Hero iii was great; haven't played 4 yet.

You stopped at the first two maps??? Have you heard of games increasing difficulty as you play on giving you time to learn the mechanics?

I'm tempted to play through the first three again. The third one had so many $10 DLC's they used to take up a whole shelf at Gamestop. I've always wanted to play those.

I can't believe there hasn't been a good follow to this game. I supposed I can. They keep screwing up Civilization.

Back
Top Bottom