Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Hmm, I doubt it. Bombs are bombs, the special kind that Alchemists have are different. I guess they count as thrown weapons, but does the tooltip say it affects thrown weapons, too, or just bombs? I suppose not as well, but I'm not 100% sure as I don't have the tooltips in front of me. But as a side note, Alchemists are fun to use. I like their Discoveries a lot.

To come back to this, some interesting stuff on bombs and thrown flasks.

Firstly, it seems that the "bomb" section of the martial information in character info is not really exact. It claims that I have 1000 feet range… that would be nice. Damage is not correctly displayed either. The + damage bonus seems to derive only from strength (probably due to "throwing"), the intelligence bonus is not applied at all.

However, the damage of bombs seems to be correctly computed during combat, so that's only the display.

Now about "alchemist's fire" and "acid flask". Firstly, the basic damage dices are as advertised on the item description, 1d6, regardless of Alchemist level. But the intelligence bonus to bomb damage seems to apply to the flask damage, both on direct hits and on the splash damage. Which is nice. Throwing and ranged attack bonuses also apply. Now if only you could put flask stacks into the belt…

Also, despite the "Throw Anything" feat, I am unable to throw Harrim. Has to be a bug. :(

Last edited:
You guys probably know this, but most bonuses don't stack. However, the ones that do stack are things like Morale bonus, Competence Bonus, Luck bonus, etc.. For example, Linzi's Heroism spell gives a +2 Morale bonus to attack rolls, saving throws and skill checks, but that would also stack with her Inspire Competence, which gives a Competence bonus to skill checks (and other things I can't recall right now.) So as long as the bonuses are different types, they will stack. Pretty cool and helpful to make sense out of the stacking bonuses.

To come back to this, some interesting stuff on bombs and thrown flasks.

Firstly, it seems that the "bomb" section of the martial information in character info is not really exact. It claims that I have 1000 feet range… that would be nice. Damage is not correctly displayed either. The + damage bonus seems to derive only from strength (probably due to "throwing"), the intelligence bonus is not applied at all.

However, the damage of bombs seems to be correctly computed during combat, so that's only the display.

Now about "alchemist's fire" and "acid flask". Firstly, the basic damage dices are as advertised on the item description, 1d6, regardless of Alchemist level. But the intelligence bonus to bomb damage seems to apply to the flask damage, both on direct hits and on the splash damage. Which is nice. Throwing and ranged attack bonuses also apply. Now if only you could but flask stacks into the belt…

Also, despite the "Throw Anything" feat, I am unable to throw Harrim. Has to be a bug. :(

Nice. Makes Alchemist Fire and the like much more useful for an alchemist. Good info!

Just became Queen, the crown you receive has decent stat buffs :D

zdlbnlJ.jpg

Last edited:
I so want to read that but I don't want spoilers. :p

So apparently potions are more for out of combat than in combat. I'll occasionally drink one in combat but you can trigger attacks of opportunity. Sometimes it works, though. It never really dawned on me to keep some in stock to save on time resting. Same with scrolls which are cheaper. It's funny how something so simple can slip right past you. :D

Gaaahh!!! I think I ran into a game breaking bug. I will have to reload save 3 hours earlier now sigh. I'm starting to get really annoyed with kingdom system+timer combo.

Every time the curse timer expires, someone who can deal with the problem is doing something else, so kingdom just crumbles. On top of that, I got kingdom quest that just won't resolve (I can't finish this because it's in area I can't access yet!!)

So I just sat there and watched my kingdom crumble. Sigh.

Gaaahh!!! I think I ran into a game breaking bug. I will have to reload save 3 hours earlier now sigh. I'm starting to get really annoyed with kingdom system+timer combo.

Every time the curse timer expires, someone who can deal with the problem is doing something else, so kingdom just crumbles. On top of that, I got kingdom quest that just won't resolve (I can't finish this because it's in area I can't access yet!!)

So I just sat there and watched my kingdom crumble. Sigh.

You can turn on Invincible Kingdom if you want. That will keep it from losing by crumbling, but you can still lose if you don't do the main quest in time. And you still have to repair your crumbling kingdom but at least you won't get a game over.

Does anyone know how to memorize metamagic'ed spells? My wizard just got the Empower spell feat and has the needed spell slots but I can't seem to find how to memorize, say, an empowered magic missile spell. Maybe it's related to the circles displayed on top of the spell names in the spell book? I tried clicking on those but nothing.

Thanks!

Does anyone know how to memorize metamagic'ed spells? My wizard just got the Empower spell feat and has the needed spell slots but I can't seem to find how to memorize, say, an empowered magic missile spell. Maybe it's related to the circles displayed on top of the spell names in the spell book? I tried clicking on those but nothing.

Thanks!

1. Go to the spellbook
2. Hit button on the bottom right of the screen "metamagic"
3. On the left hand side is now your spell book. Add a spell to the metamagic configurator on the right, by clicking on a spell in the spellbook.
4. Now also add the correct metamagic effect (even if you only have one available, you HAVE to select it). Metamagic effects are listed top right, above the "configurator". Double click one of them.
5. Optional. Decorate your spell icon by changing color/frame, to make sure that you notice the difference in your skill bar. This is done by single clicks on the respective icons below the configurator.
6. Click on "write spell".
7. Click on "spellbook", bottom right again.
8. Go to the correct spell level and memorize the spell. The correct level is the level of the original spell, plus the +1/+2/+3 effect of the metamagic effect.
9. Dont forget to add the freshly memorized spell to your skill bar.
9. Take a deep breath, shake your head. Maybe a little eye rolling.
10. Profit.

You can turn on Invincible Kingdom if you want. That will keep it from losing by crumbling, but you can still lose if you don't do the main quest in time. And you still have to repair your crumbling kingdom but at least you won't get a game over.

I know its an option but I want to experienced the game fully. I decided to wait till the big patch on 22nd. I'm fighting off urge to play it now.... ugh.... must.... resist...!!!

I know its an option but I want to experienced the game fully. I decided to wait till the big patch on 22nd. I'm fighting off urge to play it now…. ugh…. must…. resist…!!!

I'm playing now and just rolling with the punches. Started a new character, Aasimar Archaeologist again but a melee focus with a level of Rogue for Sneak Attacks. And I hear you, I want to experience it fully, too, on Challenging. So for this playthrough I will keep it on Normal. And it has been rough but as soon as I get that kingdom I'm going to pay CLOSE ATTENTION TO IT lol.

I know its an option but I want to experienced the game fully. I decided to wait till the big patch on 22nd. I'm fighting off urge to play it now…. ugh…. must…. resist…!!!

I'm not sure the big patch is still scheduled for the 22nd, they said in the latest change log that they're still in hotfix mode (fixing issues as they crop up and pushing a patch every 2 days or so), but they don't have time to do proper playthroughs for a big, properly tested patch (in fact they've had to push patches to fix bugs introduced by other patches).

It's a bad situation to be in from a software design point of view. Either fix the worst problems as they're reported, your users won't be as pissed but you're creating problems for you down the line, or take the time to do better patches (like inxile did with BTIV) but get dragged over the coals by angry users because they're left with an expensive bit of software that doesn't run for weeks.

The human cost at both inxile and owlcat will be bad with all this extended crunching.

Ah well, in that case I will see how I go. May start playing again soon, I'm quite addicted to this game. Don't think I can stay away for too long. I'm also not going to blame devs, it's a fantastic game, I'd rather they take time to fix it properly.

Ah, I missed that. One of the reason I'm waiting now is because of constant patching. I only have few hours to play at night after work, just not enough time after patching :(

I think I might fire it up again on weekend though.

Ah well, in that case I will see how I go. May start playing again soon, I'm quite addicted to this game. Don't think I can stay away for too long. I'm also not going to blame devs, it's a fantastic game, I'd rather they take time to fix it properly.

It's super fun. :D I re-rolled a new character and just got through Chapter 1, time for the really fun stuff. :)

Didn't have any bugs I noticed in Ch. 1. But I also made it to Ch. 3's end and don't remember much in the way of bugs, but everyone's rig is different. Such a fantastic game indeed!

Ah, I missed that. One of the reason I'm waiting now is because of constant patching. I only have few hours to play at night after work, just not enough time after patching :(

I think I might fire it up again on weekend though.

I stopped playing a while back because of that. It's great that they are fixing things fast, it's not so great to wast all your free playing time downloading hotfixes.

I'm back in Chapter 2 and just loving it even more this second time around. It's much better when you can absorb more of the lore and story and also build your characters in a smarter way because you have some experience with it already. Really enjoying it and savoring it. I like my team and what I did with them. Check it out.

Asirius, Aasimar Archaeologist (melee), Accomplished Sneak Attacker, Demoralize Persuasion gets 13 from Persuasion and +3 CHA and +3 STR, so peeps are gonna be scurred!

Valerie, Tank Aficionado. Just keep raising her AC as high as I can with every bit of gear I get so she can hold steady in front.

Amiri, 4 Barbarian/1 Two Handed Fighter. Got the BAB from Two Handed Fighter to give her Outflank. Using a Glaive with her, so she can actually stand behind Valerie and attack now.

Jaethal, 4 Inquisitor/1 Two Handed Fighter. Same deal as Amiri, she attacks from behind with a Longspear and also has Outflank. They both also have Precise Strike, so they wreck stuff from actually behind Valerie to not risk taking damage.

Tristian, Cleric Extraordinaire. I loved Extending his Bless + Protection From Evil, Communal spells, as well as using his excellent touch-based blesses that sacrifice rounds of energy channeling for a powerful +2 sacred bonus to pretty much everything. Fun!

Octavia, 3 WIZ/2 ROG. Accomplished Sneak Attacker. Kinda messed up by giving her 2nd level Rogue when another WIZ level would have still given her Accomplished Sneak Attacker. Next level she should be ready for Arcane Trickster class, which should be fun. She's an awesome backline fighter and her sneak attack damages are priceless.

Was using Linzi but I like Tristian now, even if he's useless in physical combat at the moment. Just give him a crossbow and let him fire in random directions. :p Great game.

A short update regarding the old question "Can I sell that random stuff I just looted?"
There's a few items that are usually sold, that you should actually keep for quests.

- A single emerald may be needed for an artisan side quest.
- A single emerald necklace is needed for another artisan side quest.
- Just to make sure, keep a single copy of each book you find. They are also sometimes involved in quests.

Note that you do not loose much when you sell them anyways. May just be harder/pricier to get the required items. At the very least, you can buy them from the merchant you sold them to.

A related, general tip: avoid selling anything of potential interest to merchants that may disappear / get killed. Won't be able to buy stuff back from them. The ones I remember that may disappear:
- The merchant that for a short time occurs just to the right of the dwarven merchant in the capital. Forgot the merchants name, sorry. He's related to Jeathal's questline.
- The mage Bartholomew.
- I think there was a merchant in one of the barbarian camps. I have yet to check whether he is still there after they left. Guess not.
- There are probably more? Is the goblin merchant staying around? He was selling that very nice weapon for 1234567 gold. :lol:

Ah, I missed that. One of the reason I'm waiting now is because of constant patching. I only have few hours to play at night after work, just not enough time after patching :( .
You could just let your pc run during workday with GOG/Steam and let it install the patch automatically? Or you have someone at home who could switch it on a few hours before you return?

Back
Top Bottom