RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - Crusader Kings III - Review @ Polygon
View Single Post

September 3rd, 2020, 23:18
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
Well you seem outraged that someone has implied Witcher and Ultima are not 'true RPGs'. Would you be as equally outraged if someone said a Zelda game was not a 'true RPG'? Because I've never seen you bemoan the lack of Zelda coverage on this site…?
Maybe you're projecting, but I can talk about ideas without being motivated by feeling a need to defend something I personally love. I can name plenty of other examples. I just did in Elder Scrolls: Arena, which I personally hated. Alternate Reality is another one, which I did like, but have never thought of as something I needed to start blood feuds over.

The reality is that your definition is not a universal definition that everyone has to agree with, and any ad hominem attacks I've leveled at you come from my distaste at the fact that you present them as such. There are many, many examples of games that are RPGs, true RPGs, whatever adjective you prefer to use RPGs, and have been considered to be so for decades, that do not fall within your own, personal, definition.

Just a few days ago, a friend (who's worked at Blizzard and literally helped make RPGs) told me he considers The Last of Us 2 an RPG. That game is not imo an RPG, not even close. But I discussed it with him. I didn't tell him I was an authority and if he disagreed with me, he was objectively wrong. I don't have that right. And neither do you.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)