RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - Crusader Kings III - Review @ Polygon
View Single Post

September 4th, 2020, 01:27
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I think it is, but I don't think your definition is correct. I also think some definitions can never be all-encompassing.

A quick example of this is the Google Definition of a "chair".

The definition states it typically has a back and four legs. However, if you showed me a picture of a chair with five legs, I wouldn't tell you it was not a chair. Additionally, if two people decide to sit on a chair because it is a relatively large chair, then I also would not say that it no longer fits the definition, and as such is not a chair.

In my mind your definition of RPGs is too narrow for what I consider to be an RPG.

Hope that makes sense.
I don't think the true definition is at all all-encompassing. Other genres don't suffer from this level of denial from [favourite games] spokespeople.

Platformers - requires platforming - still has huge variety.
First Person Shooters - requires shooting in first person - still has huge variety.
Grand Strategy - requires a map and conquests over rivals on the map - still has huge variety.

RPG - requires your character to have (not just play) a role - still has huge variety.

Your chair might well have a billion legs and no back, but the defining feature of a chair is that it should be something one can sit on. That is a chair's defining feature, you can sit on it. It goes without saying, of course, that not everything you can sit on is a chair.

I see you are both now struggling to cope with staying on the topic of RPGs and are now desperately rushing towards the philosophical babble spectrum.

Pladio, it seems from what you have said that you struggle with the notion that Gothic is missing an element required for it to be a pure RPG and that Gothic represents to you a pure RPG. Instead of nonsense-babble, perhaps you could just elaborate on what Role your character plays in Gothic? What are the Roleplaying options like?

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)