Coronavirus (No Politics)

One the possibilities (and I suspect quite a strong one) is that it's less lethal than we know so far, because of a huge mass of mild or non-symptomatic cases. That's good for the overall death rate, but not good for attempts control it.

That might not become clear until we can do mass testing for antibodies, and see who's had it. We are still in the dark in some respects, and some information goes out of date fast.

One Symptom is also to lose the ability to taste and smell temporarily. Two thirds of infected people reported that from a German Group.

if you look at the data there and consider only closed cases (tested positive and either recovered or died) then the death rate is much higher for the resolved cases.

That statistic is pretty much useless, and I don't know why they even keep it there. The point is, lethal cases tend to "get closed" much faster than recoveries. Some countries don't even systematically report the number of recovered patients at all. So this simplistic ratio will be too high, probably by significant factor, until nearly all cases have been closed one way or another.

Ofc there is also ~1-2 weeks of delay.
While you can die within one day, you cannot be considered healed within 2 weeks if you didn't show heavy symptoms at day 1, as incubation just takes that long.

Just so you know. I live in a smalltown. Drastic measures to limit gathering of bunch of people and restricted travel are ongoing over a week here - but we don't have even a single case of infection. All who can, work from home. Me included. So far so good.

About symptoms listed by wgd previously - note that there are carriers who don't experience any of it.
For all I know, if you lose sense of smell and taste for more than a day, it's high probability you got infected so go for a test. Even if you don't experience heavy breathing, coughing, high temp or blood in eyes similar to conjunctivitis.
No smell nor taste doesn't necessarily mean it's COVID of course.

The University I work at just emailed everyone that the first positive cases have come in for the university community and that many more are expected based on reported symptoms. It was never a question of "if" and simply "when" it would start.

Also in just a single day in the US they added 24,306 new cases and 829 more deaths.

Keep in mind that many people with proper intensive care can survive the infection. I don´t know what capacity the US got, but I suspect is part of the reason Germany have managed to keep deaths low.

Florida finally ordered a statewide lockdown starting tomorrow at midnight. With all the idiots we have in this state, this should have been done at least 2 weeks ago.

Yo, @Pibbur!
Give us a hello so we know you're alive and well, old man :p

Hello.

a pibbur who is trying to find something (at least on the surface seemingly) wise to say in this thread

PS. I am alive and not infected.. DS.

EUn-Paer-Xg-AEZl-R3.jpg

https://kotaku.com/instead-of-closing-video-game-retailer-provides-employ-1842646720
Instead of providing stores with adequate sanitation supplies (or simply closing them outright) in response to the covid-19 pandemic, Game X Change corporate felt it best to send employees what amounted to a chain email full of bogus prevention tactics. Their advice includes gargling vinegar, drinking lots of water (to “neutralize” the virus in the stomach, you see), and utilizing sunlight to remove it from clothing, all of which are practices that have been thoroughly debunked by medical professionals.
:rolleyes:

I wish that was my employer. Would buy a bunch of these and send them to all the management:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Squatty-Potty-Ecco-7-Stool-1-Each/49863167

That product is genius! Why use a $2 laundry basket you have laying around when you can give us $25 (on sale for $17.49) for a piece of cheap plastic?

PS: our piece of cheap plastic can't be used as a laundry basket.

Florida finally ordered a statewide lockdown starting tomorrow at midnight. With all the idiots we have in this state, this should have been done at least 2 weeks ago.

I've been refreshing an interactive site regarding Florida every 12 hours. I occasionally read the recently penned articles. In response to some of these articles, you have idiots crying out for their constitutional right to assembly, and how the typical Flu has a higher death toll. Florida is a den of morons and I regret ever moving down here.

Florida cases have jumped from 7,000 to 9000 in the past two days by the way.

Of all the unexpected and unwanted things the virus has brought us, this may be the most harrowing. I ran across this, or something similar but more recent, on the TV by accident, because who would watch this intentionally? It is with much embarrassment and trepidation I give you professional wrestling without crowds:

Does humanity deserve to survive? You decide.

Back
Top Bottom