Microsoft - Buys Zenimax/Bethesda

I've already played all of those games... haven't most of you already played all these games? I don't understand the allure of them being on Game Pass.

I've already played all of those games… haven't most of you already played all these games? I don't understand the allure of them being on Game Pass.
Nope I have never played Prey or any of the new Doom games.

I work for a very big company myself. And one thing is sure:
If a company becomes bigger then their flexibility and adaptability decreases. Like a big tanker in a rough sea.

As do I. And from experience, I must attest.

I suppose this will depend how hands-off Microsoft decides they want to be. There could be potential here.

I was thinking about this while walking the dogs and realized I never bothered knowing game company names, overall, growing up. Pools of Radiance, on the Apple 2E (think that was it with floppy disks), but now the company.

Bioware was the first company I started really tracking for games, then they went to EA. My two current favorite companies are (were?) Bethesda and Obsidian. Now, strangely, they are under the same parent company. Somewhere along the line the company name gained more(?) importance than the game name ... in my mind anyhow.

I don't really know how that might effect things. I adore Morrowind, Skyrim, FNV, and FO4 as 4 of my favorite games (along with BG, DAO, Kingmaker, and NWN series among others). Will they work together? Will there be more, or less, opportunity for the games I love with robust modding ability? Especially some of the bigger mods that can't run on a console. I don't want just mods that change how an outfit looks or the GUI. I want lots of diverse mods like you see for Skyrim and FO4.

@Ragnaris;, @HiddenX;

Yeah, I've worked for small and large organisations and the larger ones are always "clumsy" and slow. They get bogged down a lot just by people not knowing each other, and that's only one aspect.

I was thinking about this while walking the dogs and realized I never bothered knowing game company names, overall, growing up. Pools of Radiance, on the Apple 2E (think that was it with floppy disks), but now the company.

Bioware was the first company I started really tracking for games, then they went to EA. My two current favorite companies are (were?) Bethesda and Obsidian. Now, strangely, they are under the same parent company. Somewhere along the line the company name gained more(?) importance than the game name ... in my mind anyhow.

I don't really know how that might effect things. I adore Morrowind, Skyrim, FNV, and FO4 as 4 of my favorite games (along with BG, DAO, Kingmaker, and NWN series among others). Will they work together? Will there be more, or less, opportunity for the games I love with robust modding ability? Especially some of the bigger mods that can't run on a console. I don't want just mods that change how an outfit looks or the GUI. I want lots of diverse mods like you see for Skyrim and FO4.

Modding is one part I worry about. Microsoft store is apparently a lot less modder friendly and maybe Microsoft will go exclusive or time exclusive with future games only on their own store?

I already mentioned several times what I think about corporates and how their "natural" structure is not able to meaningfully support and motivate its individual parts, not to mention individual people. That is why most corporates grow from above (fusions, acquisitions) and die from below (companies implemented in corporate structure are left in inertia state until they start to degrade).

In this case I have no strong feelings as one corporate sucked another corporate, just bigger. But its hard to see MS positively, considering its past record of closing game developers after acquisition. Time will tell.

Will this mean that they have to get off their asses and actually work on Elder Scrolls 6?
I keep seeing this mentioned in recent articles. :biggrin:

Anyway I highly doubt Bethesda will halt development of Starfield to finish Elder Scrolls 6 just because Microsoft says so. They already said don't except it till after 2023.

I just want to finally read more information, and watch some footage of Starfield.

I could totally love a Flight Simulator / Elder Scrolls crossover:

4fu6sr.jpg

I keep seeing this mentioned in recent articles. :biggrin:

Anyway I highly doubt Bethesda will halt development of Starfield to finish Elder Scrolls 6 just because Microsoft says so. They already said don't except it till after 2023.

I just want to finally read more information, and watch some footage of Starfield.

Would really like to see Starfield as well. Its little worriesome they didnt show almost anything about game that is supposed to be in development for years now. Lets hope next info will not be about restarting development for new consoles and another 3-5 years of waiting.

Oblivion and Skyrim were terrible
I loved skyrim.

TES have gone downhill since they reached the apex with Daggerfall. In the name of AAA and accessibility BS. Same thing that Bioware has done, BUT I enjoyed the latest Dragon Age more than I have TES 4/5.

On a side note, I just finished The Outer World DLC and I think the overall game was pretty good, not weak at all.
F76 was a joke - I don't touch multiplayer/loot box crap with a 6 foot pole.

I work as application developer and few years ago I was working for 'smaller' company specialized on hotel PMS. we were world wide, but then we were bought by one of the biggest software companies in the world.
Seemed like nothing changed, but everything changed and all decisions were slowed down and new management was slow to get in with actual challenges and priorities.
Customers were very unhappy and we were working more than ever, but backlog was bigger and bigger.
I left the company few years later because of too much stress.
So I don't see this big acquisitions as something good.
But the time will tell and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom