DA:O Requesting some opinions on this matter

Dragon Age: Origins

Graeme

Synthetics!
So, I've been playing Dragon Age: Origins lately (including the DLC) and I'm pretty frustrated at this very moment. I couldn't sleep at all yesterday. Why, you may ask? Because I'm stuck thinking about what combination I should do while I'm creating a new character.

The thing is, I intend to "explore" the alternate events/scenes in Dragon Age: Origins. And seeing as I like Alistair and Morrigan a lot, I intend to initiate a romance/sex scene. The first one I'm going to "hit" would be Alistair. However, there are certain combinations you'd have to make at character creation, such being the race, class, gender and eventually, the school of magic and/or talents.

So, I've been writing up a list of possible combinations that interest me. I can't seem to choose, however. Plus, the standards of my preferences are quite high if it comes to this. Yes, I'm a huge fan of this game, as well as other masterpieces of BioWare.

I'm using the bold BBCode to show whereas I'm having troubles choosing the class and specialization. Of course, I can choose two specialization points, but that is not of the essence at this very moment.

Human Female (Noble):

• Mage
    • Blood Mage
    • Arcane Warrior
    • Shapeshifter
    • Healer
  • Warrior
    • Templar
    • Beserker
    • Reaver
    • Champion
  • Rogue
    • Bard
    • Assassin
    • Duelist
    • Ranger
Now, as to romance Alistair, I'd have to be female. However, in my eyes, a female warrior just doesn't suit me (as I prefer bigger armour, rather than small). This means Warrior and Rogue. Also, as to romance Alistair, I'd have to be high in approval, and thus, a good person. So, I'll have to drop Blood Magic. Two classes would remain then, such being Mage and Rogue. Personally, I can't choose between these, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. But I'm not done yet.

Human Male (Noble):

• Mage:
    • Blood Mage
    • Arcane Warrior
    • Shapeshifter
    • Healer

• Warrior:
    • Templar
    • Beserker
    • Reaver
    • Champion

• Rogue:
    • Bard
    • Assassin
    • Duelist
    • Ranger
Seeing as this is a male (which would serve for the sole purpose of romancing Morrigan), a Warrior can be chosen, as well as a Rogue or Mage. I intend to go for Blood Magic as well, so that would mean I'll be a mage. So far, I've got this; female rogue (for Alistair) and a male mage and/or warrior (for Morrigan and/or Zevran). I don't like Elves that much, so I'll leave them out for the time being.

Dwarf Female (Noble):

• Warrior:
    • Templar
    • Beserker
    • Reaver
    • Champion

• Rogue:
    • Templar
    • Beserker
    • Reaver
    • Champion
Dwarf Male (Noble):

• Warrior:
    • Templar
    • Beserker
    • Reaver
    • Champion

• Rogue:
    • Templar
    • Beserker
    • Reaver
    • Champion
So, this is what I wrote up today (on paper). The bold-BBCoded words are the available choices. The words without a bold markup have been "erased" from my list of choices.

Human -> Male or Female?
If Male: Warrior OR Mage?
If Warrior: Templar AND Champion OR Beserker AND Reaver?
If Mage: Blood Mage AND Arcane Warrior OR Healer AND Arcane Warrior?
If Female: Mage OR Rogue?
If Mage: Healer AND Arcane Warrior OR Shapeshifter AND Healer?
If Rogue: Assassin AND Bard OR Bard and Duelist?
Dwarf -> Male OR Female?
If Male: Rogue OR Warrior?
If Rogue: Bard AND Assassin OR Duelist AND Assassin?
If Warrior: Templar AND Champion or Reaver AND Beserker?
I've seriously gone mad these last few hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, they'd all work. Of course, when you're an Arcane Warrior, you'll be wearing plate armor, so I guess that's out of the question for your female mage? They basically wear warrior equipment.

As for the Rogue - a bard/duelist would certainly work. I'd only take 1 point in Bard though (for the mana/stamina regeneration aura), and 4 points duelist. Other than that, you'd need evasion, backstab-on-stunned-targets (the talent before reaching Feign Death), 1 point in stealth and about 8 points in dual wield (the upper and lower set of dual wielding talents).

This build would start out somewhat weak, but would end up being quite the destroyer in the end. So basically, if you want to romance Alistair with a proper female character, I'd recommend:
- Human Noble Female
- Duelist/Bard (4/1 in points)
- Dual wielding

As for the male to romance Morrigan, you have a lot of options. Reaver/Berserker will work out quite well, though I recommend dual wielding here as well (2H combat feels somewhat sluggish). It's also suitably evil for Morrigan. Of course, a Blood Mage is no less evil, and quite powerful as well, so that's not a bad option, combined either with Spirit Guardian for a very powerful, full caster, or with Arcane Warrior to become something of a tank (though you'll have to pick a lot of buffing spells in that case to make it work).

I hope that helps a bit. If you have more questions, just ask. :)

Edit: Oh, and a ranged rogue will work as well, of course, in which case your talent allocation will be quite different.

Thanks for your opinion, much appreciated. I've decided to go for a male Human Warrior (2h DPS) for now. And I'll delay the creation of a female character until later on, as to think about it some more. Warriors are actually quite fun, although I've always been spellcaster before (such being World of Warcraft (Shaman Restoration) and other games), so I guess I'll need some time to get used to the melee-side of things.

My current party exists out of Alistair, Morrigan, Wynne and I. So far it's going good and Wynne is quite… handsome. I intend to go for a rogue on my next playthrough and see what it is like now that I've installed the Dexterity fix. I wonder though; which one is dealing more damage eventually - a dual-wielding warrior or rogue (including dexterity fix)?

The Rogue if you can position it correctly, so it can do backstabs. I honestly don't think anything can come close to a Rogue with Haste (mage spell) or Momentum (dual wield skill) that is backstabbing a target in terms of single target DPS. It's simply redicilous.

There is a mod out that allows you to romance all characters in one playthrough. While I would never play a gay character, if it suits you, the mod is out there. Enjoy!
Note that Alistair will think you're a girl. He's kinda dim so I guess it's not hard to fool him.

LOL! @Benedict- but if Shale is your thing rock on!

Ew.. you'd have to be pretty stoned for that.

Back
Top Bottom