Deathfire - Plan B Cancelled

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
It seems Plan B for Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore has been cancelled. Here is the news straight from the website. I'm very disappointed right now.

Thank you for all your support

It is with a heavy heart that I am writing this today, because the news I bring are not good. As of today, we have cancelled the development of “Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore!”

I know that very many of you will be very disappointed, and I want you to know that I am every bit as disappointed as you are. Perhaps even more so, because we had invested one entire year of work, sweat, effort, hope and money into this project. It has become a dream project of sorts, the kind of game you really want to make, because you know that in the end it would have all the hallmarks of becoming a classic genre title. But alas, it was not supposed to be!

It is not a decision we have made lightly, and the fact that we tried to fight for the survival of the project tooth and nail is, I think, evidence of that. However, the way the project has shaped up and the way things have developed, we feel that we can no longer safely guarantee the completion of the game, and it would be entirely unethical to take your money and spend it without any real hope of ever completing the game.

Despite the fact that we are within reach of the $50,000 mark we had outlined to get started on the development of Chapter 1, the notion behind this has always been to see if we can rally enough support outside of Kickstarter to generate a steady flow of backers who could help us raise the necessary funds over time. This attempt was not a Kickstarter-like campaign, and it was never so much about reaching the actual amount of $50,000 in a fixed amount of time, as it was to see how support shaped up and whether the project had the ability to generate a sustainable flow of income that would guarantee its safety.

As our data show, the continuous stream of backing is simply not strong enough to support the development. While we had fairly good initial momentum and a number of high-prized backers that brought the amount to a good level very quickly, for a project to sustain itself over the long term, we were mostly looking at how many low-tiered backers would join us. It shows us the general level of interest and visibility, as well as the potential to get these backers to increase their pledges over time as they see more of the game and get more excited about it. They are the lifeblood of an ongoing project and this level of backers has been low and very unsteady, telling us that very quickly we would eat up the $50,000 we raised as base funding, without any hope of replenishing the funds at the level that is required in order to guarantee and to pay for the actual development. This puts the entire project in serious jeopardy from the very beginning, turning it into a huge and dangerous gamble!
More information.

I'm so saddened by this.. Haven't been this bummed about a game being canceled… well since, Chaos Chronicles was canceled a few months ago. ARRGH!!!!!!! Thank goodness that Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, The Banner Saga, SRR: Dragonfall, Might and Magic X, Blackguards, Lords of Xulima and Dead State are all coming early next year… But I will always want more turn-based cRPG goodness.

Last edited:
I'm heartbroken. I was really looking forward to this. I think Guido is a kindred spirit to a lot of us here, and Deathfire sounds like it all but custom-made to my own specifications.

Ha! Knew it.

The game never took off, and after they decided to make it episodic it was all down hill from there. Not exactly happy about that, but seriously their concepts didn't seem all too original or even note-worthy.

But thinking about it now, it's sad to see the potential wasted. It could have been decent.

I'll say it again, but I think timing had a lot to do with it. This is definitely NOT the time of the year when people have spare cash to throw at a game which might never be made. Sadly, I'm not surprised by this decision, but I am disappointed!!

Truly sad about this. I Hope that some sort of financing solution will be found in the end. But it seems unlikely at this point...

I had high hopes for this game. I'm sad.

I really hope that Guido gets another chance to make a traditional CRPG.
Maybe he should join forces with other CRPG developer veterans.

Well, this sucks! Sadly, this didn't come as a total surprise to me, seeing how relatively little backing Plan B was receiving (after the initial surge, it stalled pretty badly). I appreciate the honesty of the devs and feel really sorry for you guys. I had high hopes for this also, but alas, it's not to be. Bummer!

All the best to Guido and company! Don't get disheartened, bad timing was probably one the biggest reasons why DF didn't find the backing it should've had.

I'll say it again, but I think timing had a lot to do with it. This is definitely NOT the time of the year when people have spare cash to throw at a game which might never be made. Sadly, I'm not surprised by this decision, but I am disappointed!!

Sad to see this post in my inbox this morning. Time of year is probably a factor, but Kickstarter is so difficult to second guess, as there appear to be many factors that influence whether a project meets it's goal or not.

Generally, you can see if a Kickstarter is going to make it in the first few days, as few projects manage to claw themselves back from a poor start. I think that people often don't pledge if they reckon a project isn't going to make it and then that becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

If you do the kickstarter again next month you will succeed since people will have money or even better would be when people get their taxes back.

Bad news. A lot of the concepts sounded good and it is a pity we might not see it ever released. Any chance of open sourcing some of the assets built so far or perhaps starting a community driven development process?

Real shame, especially with it succeeding to be Greenlit on Steam.

Daniel.

:(

Guido, I really hope you find some place where you can realize your ideas.

Kopf hoch und Frohe Weihnachten! :)

Very sad to see the project being canceled.
Not just because of the game itself, but also because of their personal investment.
I mean it's basically like these people where laid off from a company they heavily invested in, isn't it?
I was so hopeful to see Guido back in the industry of "Real Games" (and not Mobile Games), but that perspective looks rather dark now... :(

Really hope you find some cool stuff to do in the future, guy(s)!

I have to echo the timing aspect as surely one that did lots of damage---hopefully some other plan of attack entirely will manifest in the new year once all is settled out.

Backed Thorvalla. Backed Deathfire. Even did a paypall donation for Plan B. Add me to the bummed out column. I just want a new Guido Henkel RPG...

I'm so sad with this unfortunate news. I really wanted this game. It was the highest pledge I have done so far. Guido and his team made every attempt to promote the project, but in the end there were not enough backers to fuel it which is a shame for such a high potential RPG.

Back
Top Bottom