After Reset - Kickstarter Now Live

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The kickstarter for After Reset is now live and asking for $900,000. I wish them luck and will continue to cover the game. Anyway here is a gameplay video and game details.

Hey guys, my name is Richard. I’m the creator and game director of After Reset RPG an old-school sci-fi apocalyptic roleplaying game inspired by such video games as Fallout 1/2, Baldur’s Gate and Planescape: Torment.

Through this description I’d like to tell you about the game my team and I have been working on for more than a year. Since the announcement of Fallout: Van Buren has such a game taken center stage. Of course that game was never released, so we decided to fill in the gap. You see, After Reset was developed after a long line of gaming disappointments. Like you, we too experienced one dashed hope after another as we waited for the perfect Fallout: Van Buren substitute. We wanted to relive the emotions provided by adventuring in old-school RPG’s. I’m sure that together we CAN build that theme park! With blackjack, caravans and hookers, of course! :)

And with these things in mind, After Reset is based on three pillars of the good old days of RPG – you can expect:

A POST-APOCALYPTIC ATMOSPHERE, developed with scientific realism and with more places to explore than Fallout 1 and 2 together had;

A NONLINEAR STORY with freedom of choice and a ton of branches and endings, which influence the whole setting even beyond the game you play;

HARDCORE MECHANICS in the best traditions of DnD and SPECIAL, in which even the process of character creation stretches out into prolonged enjoyment.
More information.

Last edited:
I hope that this ambitious game will reach its ambitious goal! There's never enough Fallout like games!

900k!?!?!? That's not happening. This isn't Brian Fargo. It looks cool and I wish them luck, but I don't see how they figure to get that kind of funding.

Zero game play exhibited in the video. Showcasing an engine is not gameplay.
Next, demo used to test video cards depicted as gameplay?

Extremely ambitious goal!
On paper it is perfect. However the needed funding is also extreme.

Truely hope it will be made.

Completely unrealistic goal of 900K. Game idea sounds really nice, though.

The game looks interesting, but the $900K goal is a serious problem

And I saw now they introduced two limited tiers to grab the game. When they opened the KS, $25 was the minimum and yet is expensive compared with other projects because of the low limit of backers

Hey guys,

Thank you people for your support and decent criticism about After Reset RPG. All you said was fair and as a player I would have the same concerns. Because like you I got a lot of disappointments as well. So once I just decided "enough of talking... if you want to get something, do it yourself". Thus AR turned into big part of my life.

I feel like to put here my honest explanation about "900k issue" from our discussions on Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146421095/after-reset-rpg/comments

WHY $900k? HOW DARE YOU?
Frankly our pr agency said the same.But please don't forget that that is nit about the money, but about the game and about people. Is there enough people who want this game or not. $900k was not taken out of the blue. It is realistic estimation of development of such a game. I cant set $100k or $500k goal spend the money and then just say "ops, we are out of money, sorry"... or release some trash without fulfilling promises of really good game I made. This would be unfair and unworthy. I am the same gamer as you are. Hope you understand...

btw, as I wrote I've already put about $50k of my own into this game, just because I like what I do and because of people who are waiting for this game. And I didn't expect anything in return when I did that.

And one again, thanks for your support. Friendly backers could really speed up the process and make release date closer. But even more important for is to see how many people really need my game. How many people want to play it. That is the main force of my inspiration to put the necessary funds of my own into it.

I think is doesn't matter will KS bring some money or not. I think the important thing is how many people really want that game. So that everyone who is waiting for it could proudly say "I did that I could to make this game a reality".

That is a very ambitious goal.
Regardless of your reasoning, I highly doubt you're going to make that.

I think you misunderstand some of the doubts.
The main problem is asking for such a huge amount as someone who is not as well known as Brian fargo, Peter Molyneux, etc. People who have already provem themselves as developers of such games. And, TBH, I think that is good.
The game concept itself does not really matter here, as interesting as it sounds. Of course, a bad concept will never get funded, but even a good concept and campaign has limits when the goal is just too high.

I don't think what people say is "You ask for too much for this kind of game." It's "You ask for too much. We don't know you.".

But who knows, maybe you get a critical success on your KS funding roll. ;)
You sure have my pledge.

There's certainly a big difference between the vision that's in your mind - and what you can realistically expect people to see.

If my visions could be easily communicated and I could gather trust and support based on them alone - I'd expect millions in support ;)

But it doesn't work that way.

You have to both clearly demonstrate your vision as well as ensure it's something that most people would want to pay good money for.

As it is, it looks like yet another Fallout clone to me - albeit a competent one - and there's nothing about it that makes me jump with joy.

But that's just me.

How about something altogether new?

Honestly, I can't be bothered to pledge to this hopeless project, as good as it may sound.

It sure doesn't look bad, though, and like something I'd play.

I'm jumping with joy for every Fallout "clone". Backed. :)

MrNixon, I really hope you have a plan B though.

Honestly, I can't be bothered to pledge to this hopeless project, as good as it may sound. .
If you think it's hopeless, then you have no disadvantage in backing (except for a few mouse clicks). ;)

When there is an option for paypal (since not everyone has a creditcard) i will be pledging too.

basically there are two states of mind on a 'hopeless' project like this one. You can think "it's not going to make it, why bother pledging" and "I'll pledge, it probably won't make it so I don't lose anything, but if it does, this is the type of game I would like to play". I prefer the 2nd approach.

I have no opinion about whether it'll make it or not - but I honestly don't feel like supporting something I have no interest playing.

Ambitious it is.
But this is not a phonegame, this doesn't have DLC/season pass/episodes/fraud_to_milk… Of course it is ambitious!

Oddly, the project page contains this near the end instead of putting it with big letters on the top:
In general, it won’t be Diablo-slasher or any other casual MMO – only hardcore, only old-school :) Are you with us?
Of course I am!
Backed.

Instant pledge. I agree with Morrandir, Fallout clone is a good thing. It's not like we've seen alot of them have we??? I also agree with Wolfing, why not pledge if you believe it's a game you would like to play?

I think that the only way for a Kickstarter like this to succeed is if it brings in alot of cash the first couple of days. Then other people start to realize it can actually make it and start to chip in. I can see no reason not to pledge just because you think it will fail, then loads of games wouldn't have been funded.

Back
Top Bottom