Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to PC

I am reading the reddit forum for this game and its a common issue to get bad textures and blurriness so far, with some textures being apparently bugged or something. One recommendation is to set textures to ultra no matter what kind of system because it is a light impact on fps.

Probably it is another issue rockstar games will have to patch to really get a satisfactory fix.

Yeah, that's the issue. They're patching pretty quickly, so not too worried.

For all I know they patched only their client.
The game? No. Instead of patching the game they blamed buggyness on customers who use outdated OS and drivers. LOL

You should have bought Outer Worlds (3 bugs total you probably won't even notice), IIRC I told you to.

*my saga of buying these AAA games back to back continues -- skip/ignore if you find this boring*

Wow, I had a pleasant surprise this morning. I had requested a refund from Blizzard games online store (battle.net launcher) for the new Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, not really expecting to be granted one because I had looked up their refund policy and it said you only have 72 hours to request refunds on their games and I bought the game when it released nearly two weeks ago.

I also had seen comments on reddit forum that they were refusing refunds from people who had been in the same boat where we couldn't start the game due to crashing. So I fully expected to get declined again (I was auto-declined when I made the first request and then I "appealed")

And then I was going to see if I could make another appeal if it was available because I had seen a comment saying if you are real stubborn about it and also use "legalese" in your request, then you were more likely to be granted a refund.

Well, in my appeal I said I would very kindly like to get a refund due to the product being "defective" and unable to be used for my computer.

It worked! The "games master" replied in an email and said this was a "one time exception" and that usually "all sales are final", but since I had been unable to even start the game (I had attached a screen shot of the error as well) that he would grant my request. And then I received another email the same day from Blizzard saying that my refund was granted and the money will be charged back to my card!:biggrin: So this was unexpected and restored a little faith in these gigantic gaming companies for me….

I decided I won't request a refund for Red Dead Redemption 2 because hopefully Rockstar games will fix this and plus I already received a free game as a bonus for pre-ordering and I'm thinking Rockstar might wipe that game out of my rockstar online account if I get a refund rather than be nice and let me keep it. (And I really like the game
[Max Payne 3] and quite enjoyed it in my brief play session when I tried it out)

Lastly I'm obviously in a good mood and pleased about getting the unexpected refund from Blizzard;) so just crossing my fingers that Rockstar games will give good customer service and patch this much anticipated game up sooner rather than later.

Just a quick follow-up: Rockstar games seems to have fixed it with a new small patch today, and/or something I did may have been the solution (was trying all kinds of suggestions and found a couple things on my own to try as well) or some combo of the two, who really knows for sure. Anyway, I got to finally play the game and am very impressed. It's a beautiful game with a great story line and old west simulation, especially for people (like me) who are lovers of Westerns.

For kicks, I went looking at the cost of this game.

Considering it's essentially a double-dip, it's pretty sickeningly expensive.

Good old Rockstar :)

IMO it's not expensive at all. RDR Online servers maintenance is not cheap and the price they're charging for the mmo is pretty much acceptable.

I guess all those other MMOs with reasonable prices have much cheaper server maintenance costs :)

I mean, joxer would know.

Rockstar are smart, though. They deliberately delay the PC version a year each time - knowing a lot of people will buy it twice because they can't wait.

Heck, with GTAV they did it three times because of the console generation gap.

I guess all those other MMOs with reasonable prices have much cheaper server maintenance costs :)

I mean, joxer would know.
Of course I would know. Those other MMOs just have a different strategy.

Take League of Legends for example, you don't pay for absolutely anything if you don't want to, but skins are superexpensive yet everyone is buying them.

I got my hands on a nice Ukranian key - which was cheap enough for me to cave.

Damn, it's prettier than I remember.

I can honestly say this is the best looking game on PC, even surpassing Division 2 and Star Citizen.

I don't say that lightly.

If you tweak settings a bit, it runs well enough. Given how it looks, I think there's no way around it being a demanding beast.

But I managed to get a stable 60+ framerate going, without compromising visuals in any way discernable to my eyes, and I'm rather finicky about that sort of thing.

I've had zero issues in my handful of hours of play. Not sure what the problem is supposed to be - but I HAVE heard about crashes from other people.

Still not sure it's all that great as an actual game, though. The controls remain among the worst I've experienced in my gaming career.

Again, I know it sounds like a hyperbolic exaggeration, but it's not. We're talking about a game that does the same thing with different keys, and they change constantly due to context. It's absurdly bad.

I got my hands on a nice Ukranian key - which was cheap enough for me to cave.

Damn, it's prettier than I remember.

I can honestly say this is the best looking game on PC, even surpassing Division 2 and Star Citizen.

I don't say that lightly.

If you tweak settings a bit, it runs well enough. Given how it looks, I think there's no way around it being a demanding beast.

But I managed to get a stable 60+ framerate going, without compromising visuals in any way discernable to my eyes, and I'm rather finicky about that sort of thing.

I've had zero issues in my handful of hours of play. Not sure what the problem is supposed to be - but I HAVE heard about crashes from other people.

Still not sure it's all that great as an actual game, though. The controls remain among the worst I've experienced in my gaming career.

Again, I know it sounds like a hyperbolic exaggeration, but it's not. We're talking about a game that does the same thing with different keys, and they change constantly due to context. It's absurdly bad.

Indeed, I'm constantly in awe of how amazing it looks. Best scenery, even better than Witcher 3 in terms of pure fidelity. Witcher 3 of course wins out when it comes to design/creativity, since they have a lot more freedom, it being a fantasy setting.

I'm also in the "it ran pretty flawlessly for me" with it. I only experienced one crash so far. And it was annoying, but nothing close to the shitstorm that seems to have spawned upon RDR2's release. It probably is a bit exaggerated, but you cannot deny that the official Rockstar twitter account seems to be responding to dozens and dozens of support tickets. Hopefully they'll stabilize it in time for Steam.

Oh, I think this puts Witcher 3 to shame in pretty much every way, visually.

Now, Witcher 3 was beautiful in its own right - though I never thought it was particularly creative in terms of art design, apart from the wonderful monster art, which was incredible.

If we're talking about art direction, then I'd probably put WoW far ahead of RDR2 and TW3 - especially when it comes to creativity and variety.

But RDR2 is just on another level in technical terms, especially when it comes to weather and lighting. Have you checked out those thunder storms? Wow….

A masterpiece in that way, for sure.

Of course, they probably had a couple of thousand people working on it, so…. :)

A masterpiece in that way, for sure.

Of course, they probably had a couple of thousand people working on it, so…. :)

Indeed. And for 8 years, if I remember correctly reading that. Self published, since no publisher would probably invest that much into a game.

I don't think Rockstar needs another publisher to fund their games :)

They have more money than God.

GTA V alone sold more than 100 million copies.

I don't think Rockstar needs another publisher to fund their games :)

They have more money than God.

GTA V alone sold more than 100 million copies.

Yeah, and RDR2 is at 25+ milion I believe? Which is just huge, considering westerns are usually a lot more niche than modern-day sandbox games.

I wonder how much autonomy they have to what they finance. Since they're owned by Take-Two. Sounds similar to the Blizzard and Activision relationship. But since Blizzard is faulting with regards to how much money they rake in, Activision seems to be stepping on toes and busting heads for increased profits. It's probably gonna be the same deal when/if Rockstar shares the same downfall as Blizzard.

AFAIK, Rockstar was founded under Take-Two by a few people who used to work for a smaller developer.

That happened very, very long ago (Before GTA3) - so I'm pretty sure they're secure in terms of doing whatever they want.

Take-Two would have to be prime-time stupid to interfere with that kind of success.

Of course, there's no guarentee - and who knows what will happen in the future.

Personally, while I've always enjoyed GTA and RDR - they're not my favorite games by any stretch.

They're way too archaic in terms of mission design (I hate the trial and error checkpoint approach), and they've always been more action than RPG, where I prefer things the other way around.

Also, while I'm a huge fan of freeform open world games - I've always despised how GTA/RDR strongly encourages you to go from mission to mission, because that's the only way you'll get introduced to key features. Beyond that, you get a ton of free stuff in those missions, so it's sort of pointless to go hunting or robbing until way later in the game.

To me, that's just stupid game design.

Nah, give me a proper open world CRPG with this technology, and I'll never need another game.

I mean, could you imagine an Elder Scrolls with the RDR2 engine and that kind of budget for voice actors? Talk about a wet dream.

AFAIK, Rockstar was founded under Take-Two by a few people who used to work for a smaller developer.

That happened very, very long ago (Before GTA3) - so I'm pretty sure they're secure in terms of doing whatever they want.

Take-Two would have to be prime-time stupid to interfere with that kind of success.

Of course, there's no guarentee - and who knows what will happen in the future.

Personally, while I've always enjoyed GTA and RDR - they're not my favorite games by any stretch.

They're way too archaic in terms of mission design (I hate the trial and error checkpoint approach), and they've always been more action than RPG, where I prefer things the other way around.

Also, while I'm a huge fan of freeform open world games - I've always despised how GTA/RDR strongly encourages you to go from mission to mission, because that's the only way you'll get introduced to key features. Beyond that, you get a ton of free stuff in those missions, so it's sort of pointless to go hunting or robbing until way later in the game.

To me, that's just stupid game design.

Nah, give me a proper open world CRPG with this technology, and I'll never need another game.

I mean, could you imagine an Elder Scrolls with the RDR2 engine and that kind of budget for voice actors? Talk about a wet dream.

Yeah, their mission design has been annoying, especially in the GTA3 era where controls were particularly clunky and you'd constantly die and have to restart until you would memorize where enemies were and all that.

And it is surprising they've stuck to that style up until now. I guess in their minds, don't mess with something that seems to sell well?

I'm not a huge fan of their games either. Honestly I've only finished Vice City which was wonderful, and that is mainly due to the heavy Scarface influence. Oh, and Max Payne 3, but I don't really consider that a true Rockstar game. Even though, gameplay-wise, they did improve it a lot vs what Remedy did.

And now I'm going heavy into RDR2, since I'm particularly fond of the western setting. And also because I received a strong recommendation from someone close, who actually watched a full playthrough of it, simply as a movie, and said he loved it. And so far, it seems very strong. Arthur in particular is amazingly well acted.

Don't ask how and why but now I have the game. Not my choice, but since it's there I will analyze it.

I was trying to understand why previous Rockstar mediocrity got so popular but to this day I have no idea, the game was utterly boring. I'm expecting the same impression from this one, although I know there aren't helicopters in it so it shouldn't be another case of horrible controls.

And now I'm going heavy into RDR2, since I'm particularly fond of the western setting. And also because I received a strong recommendation from someone close, who actually watched a full playthrough of it, simply as a movie, and said he loved it. And so far, it seems very strong. Arthur in particular is amazingly well acted.

The acting and the performance captures are incredible in this game.

It truly is an interactive Western, no doubt.

I'm trying to stick with it myself.

That said, I've yet to see anything story-wise that would set it above the average Western from Hollywood. To me, it seems like a run-of-the-mill revenge/redemption story at this point.

We're just not used to seeing it at this level in a game.

At least, it's not quite up there with my favorites - which would probably be The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

I concur-- the acting and motion/gestures are brilliant. It's like Josh Brolin is your character...

But I'm also getting tired of "missions". I thought it was more sandbox, but I haven't played much yet so maybe it opens up later.

Back
Top Bottom