Kingmaker - Definitive Edition Update Is Here!

Revised my post good sir. As I mixed up two threads and different posts.:blush:

Your part was only the following sorry about that.

Glad your enjoying TB as you already said that multiple times already.:p

Almost forgot about this as well.;)
He's full of potaters !
Hmm poaters how I love to eat those golden delicious things covered in cheese.:drool:

sdVE5as.jpg

So not really an insult I'm afraid to say.:D

Last edited:
I agreed with that before the turn based mode....now with turn based I can't stop playing.....it pushed it over the good game to a great game for me.
Do you normally enjoy TB more, or was it a surprise for you?

I usually don't care to be honest...I play either.

I think it's just the sheer amount of skills/spells that turnbase has allowed me to really dig into better then RTWP as I have the time to think strategies and putting characters where I want. It has made me really spend time on each character to develop them for how I like and that in turn has allowed me to enjoy the game more.

I don't know if they just did RtwP badly, but it always felt a bit off with this game. They did an excellent job on developing the turnbase mode here by building on that mod that it feels like it always had it.

Who knows though, that's just my opinion.

I usually don't care to be honest...I play either.

I think it's just the sheer amount of skills/spells that turnbase has allowed me to really dig into better then RTWP as I have the time to think strategies and putting characters where I want. It has made me really spend time on each character to develop them for how I like and that in turn has allowed me to enjoy the game more.

I don't know if they just did RtwP badly, but it always felt a bit off with this game. They did an excellent job on developing the turnbase mode here by building on that mod that it feels like it always had it.

Who knows though, that's just my opinion.
Thanks. I'm similar in that I enjoy both ways of playing. And your opinion is as valid as anyone else's :)

My GOG wanted to download 22 GB for that, even although it had the newst updates before that.
I did wonder, though, if my change of the installation drive had something to do with that.

I still hesitate playing that, because I really hate anything timed.

My GOG wanted to download 22 GB for that, even although it had the newst updates before that.
I did wonder, though, if my change of the installation drive had something to do with that.

I personally think its over stated....you have a timeline in the beginning and timers on some quests, but you have more then enough time.

I personally think its over stated….you have a timeline in the beginning and timers on some quests, but you have more then enough time.

…and you are supposed to roleplay a king/queen. Who said that being a ruler would not be stressful? :p

PS. Yes, you guys are right that BG2 story was better. I understood the @Drithius; comparison as an absolute thing: Baldur's gates are over 20 years old games. Of course, they are seminal, influenced the gaming industry for the decades to come and all that. They are classics but appear quite clunky compared to modern games. Kingmaker is copying the concept and uses a readily written and revised story. It still is a better game in my opinion than BG2. Until Kingmaker, I thought BG1 was the best isometric game I ever played (BG2 didn't have that low-level woods exploration which I loved). It is too early to speculate whether it will become a classic. Possibly not because it did not invent anything new.

I'm sure most of you know how I feel about Kingmaker by now - the only game that brought BG2 feeling back! For me, it is definitely one of the classics. In saying that, I still think BG2 is much better than Kingmaker. No games are perfect and there are flaws in BG2 but none of it really bothered me at all.

Having played Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous alpha for 80 hours, I can honestly say I love it. Its very similar to Kingmaker in a lot of ways but with completely different story & tone of the game (less cheery - its not all gloom and dark but more.. mmm mature/realistic?).

Anyway, whether people consider Kingmaker classic or not, I think its defiitely a game worth playing :D

Don't feel bad I had to re-download this game so many times on GOG. Seems to be a recurring problem with GOG updates. It doesn't happen with every update at least.

I personally think its over stated….you have a timeline in the beginning and timers on some quests, but you have more then enough time.
When I first played the game on it's official release it felt like I was being rushed to complete timed quests. Luckily they added options to lower kingdom difficulty.

Before that I was having flashbacks to Fallout and the timed Master quest.:)

I'm only about 3 hours in, and to be honest the writing seems a bit stilted, and I've spotted a couple of (very minor) errors already.
Other than that, pretty cool.

However... all of sudden my frame rates have dropped to about 6 fps! Changing graphical settings does nothing to fix it. Besides, my GPU (RX580) and CPU are hardly stressed.

I'm not the only one with this problem according to some forums I've looked at, and currently not reproducible by the developers. Fucking annoyed.

I'm only about 3 hours in, and to be honest the writing seems a bit stilted, and I've spotted a couple of (very minor) errors already.
Other than that, pretty cool.

However… all of sudden my frame rates have dropped to about 6 fps! Changing graphical settings does nothing to fix it. Besides, my GPU (RX580) and CPU are hardly stressed.

I'm not the only one with this problem according to some forums I've looked at, and currently not reproducible by the developers. Fucking annoyed.
Ah yes seems the infamous Unity memory leak/load time bug strikes again. It used to happen with some of the earlier crowdfunded games using Unity.

I posted about this many times on this forum.

Mostly with Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny. It was never solved based on the forums. Though I upgraded my PC and it happens a lot less often.

Here was one of Paradox's/Obsidian's replies.
We've determined that there is a Unity issue that was fixed for Pillars of Eternity, but has since regressed to a non-working state in the newer version of Unity we're using for Tyranny. The problem is that the mechanism we're using to load character portrait art (and potentially a few other things) from disk can also be used to download files from servers. Because of this, Unity queries the Windows Proxy Settings for the currently logged-in user prior to deciding that it needs to load the file from disk instead. On some users' machines, the contents of the Windows Network Connections will include entries generated by third-party software such as LogMeIn Hamachi and VMWare. The Windows function that Unity uses to get the Proxy Settings for the user tends to hang for long periods of time if it encounters one of those third-party network connections. It's probably not able to get what it wants and just ends up waiting for a timeout. I suggest looking in Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center to see if there are any network connections added by third-party software. If there are, try disabling them to see if it fixes the problem. Please let us know what you find.
Basically unplug your internet when playing was the response.

Last edited:
Ah yes seems the infamous Unity memory leak/load time bug strikes again. It used to happen with some of the earlier crowdfunded games using Unity.

I don't think it's that bug. Performance is very good in some areas.
Seems to be related to shader processing. In the areas where the frame rates drop to as low as 5 fps, the shader interpolator etc is doing almost no work. Dropping the gfx to the lowest it can go makes no difference, as you'd expect - if it's not processing shaders, reducing them won't help. Where I get close to 100 fps, it's processing properly.
I wonder if they fucked up some shader stuff with the last patch.

Your probably correct as last time I played it was on the 2.08 patch. I wouldn't doubt it will probably be fixed in an upcoming hot-fix as usual. This was par the course.:(

Your probably correct as last time I played it was on the 2.08 patch. I wouldn't doubt it will probably be fixed in an upcoming hot-fix as usual. This was par the course.:(

Oh well, in the meantime I've found that running it on Linux via Proton it doesn't have the issue. I'm a dual-booter, so that works for me. A framerate drop, but 50 fps is way better than 5 in those problem areas!

Well, until it crashed with something about "fatal thread context". :sigh:
Are you playing the game with an Intel or AMD CPU? Sometimes it's due to the high thread count. Mostly on AMD CPU's. I had to throttle my CPU to prevent problems.

For reference not with Kingmaker but other games I play.:)

Are you playing the game with an Intel or AMD CPU?
4th gen Intel i5, so four cores, no hyper-threading.
Oh well, might wait a bit before wasting more time on this. It's not like I've got a small priority queue or anything. ;)

4th gen Intel i5, so four cores, no hyper-threading.
Oh well, might wait a bit before wasting more time on this. It's not like I've got a small priority queue or anything. ;)

The recommended specs is an ancient 4c/8t cpu. Maybe the four cores only is a bottleneck?

Back
Top Bottom