RoA: Blade of Destiny HD - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted a review of the Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny remake on Christcentered Gamer:

Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny

In today's gaming environment it's hard to find a classic style RPG game that brings back memories of Baldur's Gate as well as Icewind Dale and other numerous classic PC RPGs that are long forgotten. I have seen that in the last few years smaller developers are bringing back the turn based and older action based RPGs that myself and others have been wanting to play again. Realms of Arkania: Blades of Destiny was a very successful old RPG (1990s) in Europe and saw a smaller, but dedicated fan base in North America during the game's original release. I never heard of it but if I did I would have loved to play it back in the early 1990s. The game has been remade from the original 1992 version and looks much better. Since the remake launched on Steam in 2013 it has seen numerous patches that have improved the game.

[...]

Even though the game isn't on par in many ways with today's RPG's I did enjoy it. Besides an occasional bug and the overuse of identical NPC models and clothing I would recommend giving it a chance; you just might find that you like the fun story. This game has a special charm that many modern games are lacking and I hope that the developer will bring more games of its type in the future.

Score: 71%

More information.

i own the game and i tried it 3 times. Just cannot get past the UI and the way interaction works. Shame since it seems an ok game.

All the footage I’ve seen shows 80% attack & spell failure making POR2 look like a speed run. To kill 8 Orks takes 15 real world minutes. It’s crazy. Is the whole game like that?

I want to say I played this maybe in the summer of nineteen ninety three I think? I remember just how much I loved this game back then, at least the way I played it. A friend who tried to play a mostly mage type took it back for a refund, that's something I recall well.

And I think it might have been brought to North American by Sir Tech? I do have the version that came out five or six years ago, and I tried it then, but it was a mess. Maybe I'll give it another shot, but I'm in no rush.

The game has been remade from the original 1992 version and looks much better.
Stopped reading right there.
Ugly, generic, overBLOOMed 3D will never look as beautiful as nicely drawn 2D with character.

I think I'll give this a chanse as soon as it's on sale. Originaly, I heard such horror stories about this remake that I had given up on it.

However, it sounds like lots of patching & fixing have made it reasonably playable now, so I'll try it as soon as it's a bit cheaper (after all I remember that I was very fond of the game back in the early nineties)

I can certainly confirm the horror stories when the first remake came out, the frustration level was real and quite high. If I do ever return to it, I may simply just start over and not pick up from my prior save.

For me the first one was still too clunky to play, especially in combat in the patched version, so I had high hopes that they overhauled it in the second and applied the changes to the first game. No idea if the combat is better now though (about the hit and miss chance - thats just how the system works, I am talking about controls and animations). Anyways, will not play the second until I finished the first and in order to start the first, some stuff needs to happen.

I tried playing for awhile, but ended up being very frustrated by high spell failure etc. And random encounters every time you travelled (which drained precious resources if its the same game I'm thinking about). I realise Drakensang is probably very simplified from the original rule Dark Eye set, but I really enjoyed those games, and I really loathed this one.

All liked the Blackguards games, even with the rapid depletion of astral energy etc. and the fact that they were just a series of staged combats.

Yes you are remembering correctly, resource management was a must if you played in certain ways. I would also agree that Drakensang while not nearly as complicated, which I often enjoy, is much more fun to play. Sometimes things can be made just too involved with minutia and such.

Back
Top Bottom