Elven Legacy - Seige Review @ ArmchairGeneral

magerette

Hedgewitch
Armchair General posts a review of Seige, the second in the trilogy of expansions released for Paradox Entertainment's and 1C's Fantasy Wars sequel, Elven Legacy, giving a detailed look at the game and a score of 89%:
The evil AI is very clever, using numerous trash units to kill off weakened enemies. Strong units are held back near objectives to stall a drive. The AI can make life miserable by using villages as strongpoints that cover each other. In Siege, an apparently unseen wizard creates spells and new troops out of thin air. No mission is easy. Hot seat, LAN and Internet play are also available.
Siege’s campaign is the usual step-by-step progress, picking up clues and talking to people before destroying the baddy. Surviving members of armies are carried over after missions. Players can choose where to start the next mission. Such considerations seem secondary to the tactical considerations. Positioning troops and moving units to and from reserves are the heart of this game, one that should thrill all gamers.
More information.

Thanks, Asbjoern. Apologies.

I have very much enjoyed all of the add-ons. I found that Ranger dipped the difficulty enough that it would be more accessible ... then Siege seemed to continue that and WHAM ... and Magic has continued that trend ...

Nice to know they lowered the "difficulty". I rather play the game as a wargame instead of puzzle. If the difficulty is too high on this kind of the game it limits the available solutions too much.

There's not much puzzle to it; the AI just beats the crap out of you. ;) Glad to hear they've made a few adjustments. I've just started Elven Legacy and they definitely haven't toned that one down from the first game. Challenge is good; ten reloads to get a Gold ending—not so much.

@zakhal: is that a zombie or a monk in your avatar?

There's not much puzzle to it; the AI just beats the crap out of you. ;) Glad to hear they've made a few adjustments. I've just started Elven Legacy and they definitely haven't toned that one down from the first game. Challenge is good; ten reloads to get a Gold ending—not so much.

well, in all fairness, you don't need to win on gold. Silver and bronze are also ways to win :)

well, in all fairness, you don't need to win on gold. Silver and bronze are also ways to win :)

... unless you want the bonus missions ... and I just couldn't let them go - *especially* in Magic!

There's not much puzzle to it; the AI just beats the crap out of you. ;)

But thats the whole puzzle thing. If you dont play your units exactly as the scenario developer planned your going to loose. Fantasy general was more forgiving in its starter campaign scenarios. You could grow your army before the slaughter scenarios. Anyways I like fantasy wars very much. Im happy russians gave up all that war-stuff and everything. They make great games nowadays.

Thanks for asking Magerette. Well its actually me. Its an american camo uniform with paintball mask. I dont know how the camo got into Finland but they sold them cheap back 10 years ago. When I got the uniform one of pockets was full of cigarette tumps (well washed ones). I always imagined som american sergeant smoking and putting all the tumps into his pocket.

The camo is very comfy better than what they gave me in finnish army. I still wear it occasionally when I can allthough I dont play paintball anymore.

But thats the whole puzzle thing. If you dont play your units exactly as the scenario developer planned your going to loose.
So that's the secret. I wondered. ;) Now if I can just perfect my telepathic skillz…
Seriously, I get your point; the puzzle is figuring out the proper rhythm of everything so you don't get slaughtered. I don't know though, I can't imagine any sane developer plotting out some of the messy ways I've had to go to win.
Fantasy general was more forgiving in its starter campaign scenarios. You could grow your army before the slaughter scenarios. Anyways I like fantasy wars very much. Im happy russians gave up all that war-stuff and everything. They make great games nowadays.
I agree. Haven't played Fantasy Generals, but I've really enjoyed Fantasy Wars. And I'm also glad the Russians are making games instead of intercontinental ballistic missiles.
Thanks for asking Magerette. Well its actually me. Its an american camo uniform with paintball mask. I dont know how the camo got into Finland but they sold them cheap back 10 years ago. When I got the uniform one of pockets was full of cigarette tumps (well washed ones). I always imagined som american sergeant smoking and putting all the tumps into his pocket…
You never know when you may need a partial smoke when you're getting shot at, I guess. Anyway, I was looking at the mask, which looked like a hood, thinking that was a clever pic of one of the undead playing for endless hours on an abandoned pc or something, but I'm glad to know you're neither a zombie nor a monk.

@wolfing; I know—I've had to settle for quite a few silvers, and even a bronze or two, but it's the principal of the thing. :)

I'm a little late on the discussion but...I noticed D2D had the entire collection for $30.00! I had heard the difficulty had been lowered but does that mean it would be easier in the beginning campaign or each expansion itself is easier?

Heh, I swore I would buy the boxed copy of Armored Princess but Steam had it for $9.99 and I just couldn't pass that up :D

Thanks!

I'm a little late on the discussion but…I noticed D2D had the entire collection for $30.00! I had heard the difficulty had been lowered but does that mean it would be easier in the beginning campaign or each expansion itself is easier?

Heh, I swore I would buy the boxed copy of Armored Princess but Steam had it for $9.99 and I just couldn't pass that up :D

Thanks!

I'm downloading, too. :)

AFA Elven Legacy, I've played about nine scenarios in the original campaign and had all Gold victories but one(silver), so I'd say yes, it's a bit easier, but not anything like easy, even playing on the 'easy' setting. But a bit less difficult than Fantasy Wars.
I'm seriously thinking about the expansions now, but I'll probably wait til i finish up EL.

I showed fantasy wars to one friend of mine who likes fantasy TBS like heroes and fantasy general (he has even played the original kings bounty) and he played the first FW orc scenario on "easy" for 6 turns and got totally beated up and quit the game never looking back. However he does like kings bounty a lot.

So far I have played fantasy wars on "easy" only. I have managed to win gold victories but still there are many replayes for som scenarios. Its very easy to make mistakes that will hurt you in this game. The game is fun but unlike most modern games you have to work for that fun.

Anyway, I was looking at the mask, which looked like a hood, thinking that was a clever pic of one of the undead playing for endless hours on an abandoned pc or something, but I'm glad to know you're neither a zombie nor a monk.

Well there are times that I feel much like zombie so its not all that far from truth. :)

Awww shoot, I was on my downstairs pc and missed the update to this thread on my laptop. I had started another thread :D Sorry about that!

At least, it looks like Elven Legacy Complete is at $30.00 anytime and not just a Christmas Holiday sale so I suppose I could wait and think about it :)

Or you could play the demo(if you haven't.) I posted a couple of links for you in your thread. :) And don't worry about posting a duplicate thread, we can always use it to talk about the game.

Back
Top Bottom