Companions - iPad RPG Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Smuttlewerk Interactive sent us news they have recently released their party-based iPad RP, Companions. Here's the note they sent sent along:
we are smuttlewerk interactive, a small germany based indie-studio and just recently released our game Companions.
You control a party of four characters (elf, minotaur, human and dwarf) and fight your way through dungeons filled with dangerous creatures.
Our game is unique in the App Store and by no means a casual game. You actually have to learn how to play best, not just tapping with one finger and let the game play itself.(which can be fun too, of course)
We need all the awareness we can get. It's very hard for us to gain visibility. The both of us are hardcore gamers back from the days of the good ol' C64 and we played our shares of RPG and strategy games. I have been a pen&paper roleplayer since childhood days and probably spent more time reading sourcebooks than schoolbooks. I am sure everyone loving RPG's and owning a iPad should at least know about our game.
Companions has a full campaign, 4 races each with 3 classes, so tons of possible character combinations are possible. We have implemented random drops, unique items, experience gathering and strange and (hopefully) funny creatures, like philosophical pest zombies.
We worked 10 month full-time on our baby and put all our heart and soul into it and I dare say people will feel it.
They sent links to some videos:

More information.

Looks to be meaty and well wrought, yet I just don't have these devices.

How often I do wonder how differently things would've turned out if the iDevices supported something more cross-platform from the onset…so many "practically" unportable projects… :-/

Which, in at least a fair bit of cases thus far, is something that just doesn't happen unless they hit upon a streak of commercial success for the operating income/time to do so. I suppose in an ironic way it mirrors the historical situation of Linux gamers often being left in the cold, with the shoe now on the other foot as it were but from Mac/iOS country.

So yes, technically possible…sure. But as a practical matter? It just doesn't seem to happen the outstanding majority of the time unless they happened to use some manner of cross-platform framework or engine intended to allow the casting of a wider net with minimum fuss to begin with.

But, bah, I don't want to be "that guy" with a schtick for PC port stick pokin' with every single substantial looking release for another platform. This one just seemed to have so much traditional effort to it...

Actually, it's not as easy as it sounds. Porting an Objective C application with extensive use of Apple API's is a time consuming task. The worst part is the graphics though, which requires a lot of work.

There's simply no such thing as "multiplatform" when it comes to most Apple products. Macs are as close as you get, phones/pads are pretty much out of the question.

Does anyone else find the title of this game weirdly timid?
Nothing epic and dramatic but rather something that reminds me of virtual pets or something.

Has anyone bought and played this game? Just checking because I recently came upon this game and am interested.

Back
Top Bottom